Author Topic: Pefect Stride II foot  (Read 23389 times)

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
Re: Pefect Stride II foot
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »
The foot is supposed to propel you better than most feet because of the design in the heel. It's not supposed to compress as much before it springs you forward. Since I like the Renegade so much, it looks like a better version of the Renegade in design.

My opinion. It's worth what it costs.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »
My opinion. It's worth what it costs.

I definitely don't agree with that... if your marketing people think they can sell more if they make it look good by being expensive, it'll be expensive. Often the price is not related at all to how good something is.

Thinking about it, equally, if your marketing people under price something it looks cheap and people won't think it's as good as it actually is!

By the way, I was answering based on the fact you weren't specifically referring to the Perfect Stride, as you haven't tried it. As in, a generic 'it's worth what it costs'
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:08:50 AM by Oneblueleg »

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »
I meant that my opinion is worth what it costs not the foot.

All prosthetic parts are overpriced in my opinion. We are forced to pay the price since we joined this club. I have to maintain a certain level of activity which makes it necessary to afford high activity components.
LBK since April 2004

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »
Tigertatt,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while and didn't see your post until this morning.
I am a client of Mike Loves and he just changed my foot to the Centure by Ossure.  Boy what a difference!
I am a 38 Year old and have a 9 year old daughter, so as you can guess I am very active. 

I became a RAKA in 8/07 so I haven't had many different feet.
However, now that I have this new one, i have a lot more flexability and movement.
I really like that it makes walking easier by having shock absorption without much weight.  I really like the
flexibility and rotation.  I found that it is easier to walk on uneven surfaces. 

Hope that this helps a little.

Ginger
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 06:30:32 AM »
I meant that my opinion is worth what it costs not the foot.

All prosthetic parts are overpriced in my opinion. We are forced to pay the price since we joined this club. I have to maintain a certain level of activity which makes it necessary to afford high activity components.

:D :D I get it now  ;) it's worth more than it cost though  ;)

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »
Tigertatt,
You were pretty enthusiastic about the Perfect Stride II foot. How about a review? Does it work well for K3-K4 activities? Is the extra weight an issue? Can you feel the heel cable engage?

I personally use the Renegade for higher activity levels. It works reasonably well but the balance between stiffness and compliance in any direction is very much a personal preference and is activity dependent. It would be interesting to hear your take on it.

Offline Tigertatt

• Central California - Near Yosemite National Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:01:28 AM »
 The Perfect Stride II X3 (the X3 is the 08 upgrade that has an added carbon fiber shank doubling the titanium shank, this carbon fiber shank has allowed them to remove the limiting cable from the rear of the foot) is just awesome, but I only got to use it for 2 weeks before I had a major infection set in my stump. I'm currently on IV antibiotics every 12 hours and it looks like I won't be back in my leg for another 2-3 weeks at the earliest. >:(

The foot is slightly heavy but not enough for me to really notice it and it sure doesn't bother me at all. I can feel every little bit of the foot from a nice heal strike to a very smooth roll over to a springy toe off. When I was able to move at a normal to faster walk on my gate the foot worked even better and more smooth, it feels like it just wants to run and I have no doubt that once I get the socket fit correct and lose this infection that running with this foot will be easy.  Since I have nothing  but my real foot to compair it too I can't tell you that it's better than any other foot on the market but I have a friend who just got the PS2X3 and he was using an Ossur Veri-Flex and he said it's 1000 times better than the veri-flex and the motion of the ankle in the PS2X3 is so close to the real thing that his gate is perfect on all types of terrain now.
Accident 2-7-06
Ertl (by Jan Ertl) RBK 1-18-08
Knowledge is Power

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »
here's the exact quote from my friend who just got the Perfect Stride II X3 ---   "Yayyyyyyyy, I got my PerfectStride II X3 foot today and so far I love it. I thought the energy return on my Veri-Flex foot by Ossur was good but the return on the new foot is awesome. I was able to go up and down a staircase much easier than before. Walking on uneven ground was a snap. I haven't tried inclines and declines yet but I don't expect any problems with that aspect. When I started walking on the new foot in my prosthetists office it felt a bit strange, but a good strange. For the first time since my RBKA I actually had ankle movement when I walk. What a novel idea, an ankle that moves when you do. My prosthetist had warned me when I first requested the PerfectStride II X3 that it was a heavier foot. It may be heavier but it isn't very noticeable and it is worth every ounce of weight. I LOVE THIS FOOT!!!! "
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the update on how you like the Perfect Sride II X3.  I hope your infection disappears and that you are walking soon.   :)
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »

I was at my prosthetist's office yesterday and asked him what he thought of this foot.  He has only fit one, on an active duty military guy (AK), and he loves it.  BUT, the cost of the thing is astronomical for a foot?!  I'm told they bill out for $7500!  I know the military folks can get anything they want, and rightfully so, but for those of you who are not enlisted, are your insurance companies paying for it?

All in all my CP thinks it's a good foot - so far, but he doesn't believe it will hold up any better than other "active feet" out there like Renegade.  Time will tell!

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »
TO-ALL, am wondering just why everyone has to have these fancy feet, i am highly active and us the COLLEGE PARK FOOT, it is the one with small amount of angle movement and i an having now problems at all with them have had them now for four years and can get around real well.  Feel that i am a K-4 person because of the remodelling and all the yard work that i do here at my home. The only thing i have had to have fixed on them is having the bumpers replaced twice now and that is it. I also climb laddeers and do many other things that i have to do and as i said have had no problems walking or doing what i have to do.

The question that i am asking is do these fancy named feet make you walk any better that the basic tried and true one that have been around for a long time.

I think that a lot of it is that they cost more and the cpo's are pushing them so that they can make more money by getting us to use them. My CPO hasn't tried to push any other fancier feet on me cause i am comfortable with what i have on now and they get the job done for me.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »

The question that i am asking is do these fancy named feet make you walk any better that the basic tried and true one that have been around for a long time.

Hi PLJ.  For me, it isn't a matter of having a fancy foot but rather having a foot that can keep up with me and provide me with a good gait.  Like a lot of amputees on this forum, I am also extremely active and I am a K4 rating.  Currently, I am using a Seattle Catalyst (a basic carbon fiber foot) which doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that some of the energy storing feet have but the foot works well for me.  Which goes to show that the most expensive foot isn't always the best foot for everyone.  It is still an individual preference.  When I need a new foot, I am interested in trying the Bioquest Perfect Stride foot because it is supposed to propel you through your stride with less effort and mimic a more natural gait.  With all of the activities that I do, I would like to use less effort to complete them.  When I need a new foot, I'm sure that there will be another foot on the market that will be creating the same buzz as the Perfect Stride foot.  I will also demo several different feet from various manufacturers before I decide which foot is appropriate for me.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
 I have never seen a price for the PS2 but I've always heard that it was one of the most expensive feet on the market. My case is workmans comp so price is no object to me but my friend who I posted his review of the Perfect Stride, he is on medicare and they paid for his Perfect Stride II X3 no questions asked. This foot is pretty much a cross between the renegade and the collage park trustep, the PS2 has all the ankle movement of the TruStep which is something I must have where I live but it also has has the energy return and storage of the renegade so it makes it a great daily walker too.

In the 20 plus prosthetist I have interviewed or talked too, I have yet to run across very many prosthetists who have used the Perfect Stride (my prosthetists office included, I made them special order it for me and my foot was the first Perfect Stride they had seen in person. Even in my prosthetit's office you can tell which prosthetists try to stay up to date on the new products and which ones are stuck with what they know and like, 1/2 of them were gathered around me checking out the foot as I was being fit and the other half could careless ) The few prosthetist that  have used the PS2 really really like it and say they are going to start using it on more patients.

I do agree with PLJ though and I think the college park feet are some well built and designed feet. My 2nd leg that I'm designing now is going to be a College Park TruStep with a Brio so I can use the leg around the house like a slipper. I want to be able to just throw my leg on and loaf around the house barefoot or be able to throw on some crocs and go outside and do some yardwork. The TruStep should be a perfect foot for all my uneven terrain and since I'll only be using it for mowing or blowing off the walkways or pulling weeds I won't need the energy return of my Perfect Stride and since it's not going to be my daily walking foot I won't wear out the bumpers and stops as fast either.  :)
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 07:33:48 PM »
Here's a video of a friend of mine skating on his new Perfect Stride 2 X3 foot  ---  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuSzKsMcnOk  ----  He's a K4 amputee of 22 years and says the Perfect Stride 2 is the best over all foot he has ever used. Prior to this foot he used the Ossur flex foot Mod 111 and the Seattle Cadence HP for everything from hunting, biking, hockey, running, and roller blading. He said he LOVES how the PS2 works on uneven ground and the energy return on the PS2 is as good or better then the Mod 111. He recently broke his Mod 111 playing hockey and he tried the new improved model of the Cadence HP but said the new Cadence was much softer than his old Cadence and wasn't much good for higher level activities.

Offline dozerdude

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
How about the cheapest foot? Invented by my guy Rob Gabourie.
http://www.niagarafoot.com/

Bob