Author Topic: Pefect Stride II foot  (Read 23400 times)

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Pefect Stride II foot
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
I learnt (painfully) that you can do too much too soon and it can slow you down. I've only been an amputee for 2 yrs now and spent half that time in a wheelchair >:(. The reason, I tried to take on too much when I first got my legs. I will admit that both my residual limbs are fragile due to 3rd degree burns.

I too considered myself as active and wanted to get back to my old ways asap - it just doesn't work like that. You have to build up slowly through different leg configurations until you get what you need to live your life to the max.

It has taken a while to find the right balance between liner, socket and the feet. I now use Endolite's Navigation feet as these have taken a lot of the pressure of my stumps and given me more freedom of movement.

Offline Tigertatt

• Central California - Near Yosemite National Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »
 Unlike most amputees My amputation was elective and I was lucky enough to have 2 years of free time to nothing but research every aspect of a BKA. This is why I am a member of many of the active amputee forums. I took this free time as a blessing and knew that I needed to take advantage of the fact that I still had 2 feet and could literally walk into many different prosthetist offices and do endless interviews until I found one that I really liked (and could put up with me). After talking to 100's if not 1000's of amputees I decided that the Ertl procedure was the best possible procedure for myself so the next step was to find a surgeon. So after a couple weeks and many phone calls I got ahold of Jan Ertl and he said at current time he was not working for any specific hospital but if I was willing to wait for him to find a place to do the surgery he would do my Ertl amputation. Knowing I had the best of the best for this specific amputation oh heck yes I was willing to wait. Now knowing that I was going to get the absolute strongest (foundation) type of amputation. And feeling very very confident and comfortable with the skills of the prosthetist that I had picked (socket system taken care of) it was time to move on to feet. And this is how I ended up here at this point asking "what feet have you tried and what do you like or dislike about them".  so yes i do know the importance of how strong your stump needs to be and yes yes again I also know that if your socket doesn't fit your going to be on your butt and not out running around on you spiffy new leg. But why why why don't most amputees actually answer the above question at face value?  This is the 4th forum I have asked this question on again everyone feels the need to try and tell me what is best for me while completely avoiding the question at hand. And this is why I seem to be short, loud and rude when in all honesty I would just like the question I asked answered and at the same time passing on a collective knowledge of all of you to anyone else that might happen to be in the market for a new foot.  ;D

No I'm not angry or upset at anyone ;) just confused at why a simple question goes unanswered time and time again ???  I've picked out (for now unless people actually answer this question and change my mind) 4 or 5 different feet that I'm going to try first. I was just hoping to gain a few more ideas by asking this question again and in the process I thought "just maybe" the people here would answer the question and in the process start a very cool collective knowledge thread about feet. If everyone here just posted what foot/feet they have used and what they like or dislike about them you could have the most accurate and definitive review of prosthetic feet on the planet (no joke)  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:57:06 PM by Tigertatt »
Accident 2-7-06
Ertl (by Jan Ertl) RBK 1-18-08
Knowledge is Power

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
I also elected to amputate my lower leg.  I had a consultation with Dr. Jan Ertl as well.  He is a great surgeon but due to logistics I ended up having my Ertl type amputation done in Wisconsin.  When I knew that I was going to have to amputate my lower leg, I also did lots of research.  I went to the Medical College of Wisconsin and used their library to search the medical journals for amputation info and that is how I found out about the Ertl procedure and located Dr. Ertl.  I educated myself as best I could so that I would ask appropriate questions and have realistic expectations from the procedure.  I also met with my prosthetist prior to my amputation and asked him a ton of questions.  I had researched different sockets and feet on the internet.  My prosthetist's advice was to try several different feet and through trial and error I would find what worked best for me.  He was right.

I'm glad that I took the time (and had the time) to educate myself but the most important thing that I learned from my amputation is that while research is great, actually trying different products when you are building your prosthesis is what is important.  The foot that I thought I wanted, turned out to be something I didn't like at all.  I was able to try several different feet and find the perfect foot for me.  The foot I'm currently using isn't anything that I had done any research on or even heard of.   ;) 

You will find what works for you through trial and error.  Try the products that you have researched but keep an open mind to any other products that your physician or prosthetist may recommend.

Good luck and I hope that you are walking soon.   :)

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

jmoore

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
my amp was elective to bad knee 26 surgeries on it i had a erti done Feb.15,07 it took 3 months of no weight bearing if you rush it the muscles will not hold right it took me 8 to 9 months of hard work to be a beginning k4 and i still am going to a high end pt to learn more so don't rush it i started with a middle level carbon high energy return foot with a torque adapter and a high end knee it work to get me where i am at now, now i got my micro processor knee  and use a split foot from freedom called pacifica with again a torque adapter for my ankle i like it because i live in the mountains when you step on uneven ground it works just like a normal foot and ankle it took time to get use to it and trust it.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
I'm not speaking for everyone and I'm not trying to be politically correct but I think the reluctance to recommend a specific product is because every amputee really is different.  I know that it sounds trite, but I don't think that amputees want to recommend something to someone and then find out that what they recommended didn't turn out to be "the greatest thing since sliced bread."  (I know a person that absolutely loves their Ossur Re-flex VSP and I tried it and thought it was heavy and cumbersome.) 

I understand that you are looking for the pros and cons of the various products.

I hope that you get the info that you are looking for.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:17 AM »
You've decided that amputees know best, the truth is, they only know what's best for them. That isn't necessarily any use to you. To think it might be misses the point. You can study and ask opinions as much as you like, it doesn't replce actually trying the product yourself.
I don't believe in your suggestion that like this we can get an accurate and definitive review of anything.
You have missed the fact that what is right for you is based on clinical decisions made by professionals, at best, amputee's opinions are of incidental use, there's nothing definitive about them.

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
There is one major flaw in your reasoning OBL -- if what your saying is true  then your prosthetist isn't qualified to fit you either. becasue he is fitting you based on the opinions of other amputees that he has fit that are similar to you. So are you saying that myself and other amputees are not able to learn and apply the same things as my prosthetist? ;)
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 05:04:47 AM »
There is one major flaw in your reasoning OBL -- if what your saying is true  then your prosthetist isn't qualified to fit you either. becasue he is fitting you based on the opinions of other amputees that he has fit that are similar to you. So are you saying that myself and other amputees are not able to learn and apply the same things as my prosthetist? ;)

What I'm saying is that a knee, for instance, will be chosen taking into account the amputee's muscle control, strength, atrophy, ability, level of amputation, length of residuum, any pre-existing conditions such as contracture, desired and intended activity levels, weight etc etc... none of these things, initially at least, are anything to do with the amputee. Prosthetists study the anatomy and the biomechanical implications of their choices for years to become professionals at what they do. I'm just saying that to dismiss this and believe that what amputees have to say about thier singular experience is probably not the best approach.
By the way, I'm not a prosthetist in case you were wondering  ;)

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »
OK I'll buy this answer, and I don't disagree with what you are saying, I have never once said that my prosthetist isn't skilled or qualified to build a leg. ;D

Quick question for you OBL (I ask this in all honesty so please answer honestly)  -- Q- If myself or one of your good close friends asks you "what type of shoes have you used and what do you like or dislike about them?" what would you answer?
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »
I realize this question was not directed toward me, but I'll answer anyway...

Because shoes are a BIG deal to me.  I can't wear anything with much of a heel in the least -- the flatter the better.  I know amputees who MUST have the recommended 5/8th's heel.  Nothing is set in stone.  We are all genuinely different!

My fit is so weird that I am most comfortable barefoot.  Shoes mess me up.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 04:42:15 AM »
OK I'll buy this answer, and I don't disagree with what you are saying, I have never once said that my prosthetist isn't skilled or qualified to build a leg. ;D

Quick question for you OBL (I ask this in all honesty so please answer honestly)  -- Q- If myself or one of your good close friends asks you "what type of shoes have you used and what do you like or dislike about them?" what would you answer?

I'm not sure of the relevence (although I can guess), but I'll play along... I where numerous different types of shoe, for work, I wear smart leather shoes, for outside work I wear trainers (sneakers) of several different types, or just casual shoes, converses... it depends what I'm doing and what else I'm wearing.

Just by the way, in my opinion this doesn't have any relevence to limb component choice.

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
Thank for the reply OBL -- ;D

This question was a very simple question and it is relevant to this discussion in a couple ways.

First it show us if your the type of personality that can read a simple question and answer it the way it was asked, or are you just confrontational to all questions.  ;)

You should not be able to answer this question based on your reply to your prosthetic answer. Why?, - Because everyone on the planet truly have different feet. Feet are the first and foremost thing that allow us to walk and the design of our feet are what allow us to stand erect and walk without knee,hip and back problems. We all should have custom designed shoes (and many people do), but have you ever been told in your life that you or your friends are not qualified to recommend shoes to another human?, Based on how important your feet are to your over all health and mobility that you should only see a podiatrist because he's knowledge as a professional foot doctor is the only thing you should listen too when you need to pick shoes. The reason you have never been told you are not qualified to pick and buy your own shoes is because the shoe industry can make a shoe close enough to your needs that most people won't have any issues from the shoe being slightly "off". Also the shoe industry likes to make money and since their market is the 6.8 billion people on this planet they really don't want you to know that 80% of your daily comfort is a result of your feet being comfortable and in the right position. Imagine how far shoe sales would drop if you had to see a podiatrist or orthopedist before you could buy your shoes. :o

Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 04:20:03 AM »
Sorry, but I don't agree with the comparison you're making, I think you've gone a way too far. To compare feet with the myriad amputee residual limbs and implications of fit and component choice of prostheses is just meaningless.

By the way Tigertatt, congratulations, you've got -1 Karma rating too now! I'm no longer the only one  ;D (I blame you for mine in the first plcae ;)) not that I know what it means

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »
I've worn a Renegade for the past three years. I like it a lot. It is light in weight and very responsive to my occasional run or trot. I stand all day and the springiness of the foot makes that more comfortable. I really, really like this foot.

With that being said, I will be needing a new rig this spring and the Perfect Stride is at the top of my list of feet to try. I've already asked my legman about what he thought of it. He's tried to fit two patients with this foot only to find problems. He told me that the company was aware of these problems and has since fixed them. I'm sure that is why it is now the Perfect Stride II. I have a friend who has worn one since last summer. She loves it.

I definitely want to know more about this foot.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »
As a matter of interest, why do you think this foot seems to be the one everyone seems to want to try?

What is it about the foot that makes one want to try it over other feet?

By the way, this is not a leading/trick question, I'm genuinely interested.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:45:31 AM by Oneblueleg »