Author Topic: Pefect Stride II foot  (Read 23365 times)

Offline Tigertatt

• Central California - Near Yosemite National Park
    • View Profile
Pefect Stride II foot
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »
 Hi, Everyone

I'll be getting my first leg/foot here in the next couple weeks and I've pretty much decided on the Perfect Stride II foot from Bioquest. http://www.bioquestpros.com/index.html  I've heard nothing but good stuff about this foot so I was wondering if anyone here has used or is using this foot?

I'm a very active person k-3 or k-4 level even into k-4 extreme. I'd like to hear what feet everyone else have tried and what your opinions of them are.  -- and PLEASE don't give me any of the "everyone is different" crap Im asking your opinion of the feet you have tried and what you like or dislike about each.  ;D ;)
Accident 2-7-06
Ertl (by Jan Ertl) RBK 1-18-08
Knowledge is Power

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
Re: Pefect Stride II foot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 03:26:37 AM »
OK 15 people have viewed this post and your going to tell me NOT ONE of you use a prosthetic foot?  ???  Doesn't anyone know what foot they use?  ;) :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:28:48 AM by Tigertatt »
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
Tiger,
I have not used a Perfect Stride Foot on any of my clients, although I have seen it.  You could try several different feet from different manufactures to see which one you like best.  I don't believe that any one foot is better than another, because the best foot is the one you feel best with.  Every manufacture claims their product is better than any other.

I do suggest that you try the Ceterus foot by Ossur.  I use it on active amputees because of it's many features.  It has a split toe and heel (carbon fiber) built-in rotation and air shock.  The rotation and air shock are adjustable by the user with a small hand held air pump.  If you do compare the two let us all know what you think.  www.ossur.com   

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
It looks like a cool foot.  The video is incredible.

However, I don't see anything in there I couldn't do with my ceterus foot.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
My first foot was an Ossur Re-flex VSP.  I didn't know what to expect so I thought it was good.  After a couple of weeks, my prosthetist asked me try a another foot for comparison. I chose to try a Seattle Catalyst.  I liked it much better than the other foot for various reasons.  I ended up keeping the Seattle Catalyst and I love it.  It probably doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that other feet have but it is a good match for me.  It is carbon fiber and it is light weight.  I am a K4 activity level and do everything except run with this foot.  I use it for all of my everyday activities as well as sports.

Here is the link for the Seattle Catalyst in case you want to see what it looks like...

http://www.kingsleymfg.com/KMFGStore/Catalog_Product.asp?dept_id=08C3AA37-EC92-472C-8235-646AEEFC7C47&product_id=SHF29

Let me know if you try the Perfect Stride foot.  I would like to learn more about it as well.

Be sure to try a couple of different feet before you choose one.  Good luck and I hope you find the foot that's right for you.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
THANK YOU -Mitchee for being the only one that actually answered my question about "what have you used and your likes and dislikes"

In all honesty I have done more research on prosthetic feet than most prosthetist and I really do know what's on the market, who makes what, and when to use what foot.  I do agree that the Ceterus and LP Ceterus are good looking feet but I tend to think that most prosthetist (that I've talked too) tend to stick with what they know and like and most do not venture into trying new technology. And guess what Ossur and Otto Bock are the old comfortable horses on the market. As a design engineer I can see and understand what works well even though I have not actually tried any products yet. I totally agree that all amputees should try as many feet as possible (since all feet have a 30 or 60 day trial period on them) and find the foot that works best for them.  But in my 2 1/2 years of research I've come to find that 90% of the amputees out there have no clue to whats on the market and in the past when I've asked this exact same question I always get the answer "we are all so different you'll have to see what your prosthetist says" well is NOT an acceptable answer. This answer tells me "I have no clue and just go with what I'm told", and as stated above most the prosthetists I've talked with (about 20 at this time) tend to stick with the old reliable they know and love even though we have all seen that todays technology is growing in leaps and bounds and that "old reliable" foot may not be the best foot anymore.

I believe if we as amputees become more aware of what we are using and step up and share the information that you have then all of us as amputees will be more educated and most of all more comfortable in the long run.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:07:21 PM by Tigertatt »
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
Nothing wrong with being aware of what's available, but you've gone completely in the other direction. If you honestly believe that you know everything and you know what you need, why bother coming on here to ask what others think? Specially if you believe they know less than you!
You have much to learn and do well to take what people say about us all being different a little more seriously. It isn't crap, anything but.
I have experience of two people who, on the surface seem to have the same needs and desires, opting for very different products.
There are subtlties and nuances you cannot possibly understand having never worn a foot... good luck, though with all your superior knowledge, no doubt you'll be fine. ;)

I think, by the way, you'll get a better response without such an agressive attitude, telling us all that what we might think is 'crap' without us having the chance to even say it, for example.

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »
Easy OBL -- I know your still running a little hot from the flying post on that other forum.

I'm sorry if I come off a little too strong and I know that I rub some people the wrong way and I'm fine with that. But the more we share about what we are using and what we like and dislike about these products the better informed all of us can be when the time comes to pick your new leg parts.  Your only proving my point that when I ask the simple question of "what do you use and your likes and dislikes" that most amputees tend to avoid this question and usually spout off with some politically correct answer that doesn't say anything about what you like or dislike. I find this strange but it is the truth. I know none of us will ever be exactly the same in our situation but I can tell you Otto Bock isn't make a foot JUST FOR YOU it's a generic fit everyone foot and someone in my similar situation really likes a particular foot then I will make sure that I try that foot when the time comes, BUT unless someone steps up to the plate and actually answers my question and tells me the name of a particular foot then how am I to ever know what options are out there? ;)
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »
'flying post on that other forum'? you've lost me there I'm afraid.

You've said you're K4 (having never worn a foot, I find it a bit difficult understanding how you come to that conclusion, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume everything goes well for you and you become that active) so as I am not, any information I give you would be of no benefit or interest to you.

But anyway, I have a trial foot that's not available on the market yet and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.... there, that hasn't helped you either has it?

Before that I had an ENDOLITE Esprit, that was the best foot I'd worn up the that point. Comfortable compliance at heel strike, smooth roll over and plenty of energy return at toe off.

We should share our experiences, I agree with that

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
New Feet!!!  Whoo Hoo!

I'm soon in the market for a new foot.  I know exactly what I have:  College Park Tribute.  I still haven't a clue why my old prosthetist told me repeatedly that he was giving me a College Park Venture.  They are quite similar except that I think the Venture is a bit of an upgrade from the tribute.  I still wonder if my prosthetist charged my insurance for the more expensive foot???

At any rate, I have no experience to go by.  I've been an amputee since August 05 and this is the first and only foot I've tried.

Do I understand correctly that I can trial a foot when the time comes???  THEN I will have some comparison to go by.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »
YES -- Marilyn  all feet come with either a 30 or 60 day trial period, this means your prosthetist can return the foot at anytime for any reason within that time period and it won't cost him a dime.  The only cost would be from your prosthetist if he/she charges you for the time and effort it takes to change over from one foot to another.

and YES OBL -- the information you provided has helped alot.  would help even more if you by chance knew the name or maker of your new trial foot. I do know that Bioquest (makers of the perfect stride II) have a new prototype foot they are trying on test patients.  pist to jog your memory -- the post "treatment in US airports" ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:03:51 PM by Tigertatt »
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
Oh I get you now... ;)  ::)

Thinking about it, I'm not sure a top level high energy return foot is the best prescription for you as a primary. It may offer too much resistance to you stump within the socket too early and ultimately slow your rehabilitation. A lower end foot may be better for you initially. It may be worth discussing this with you prosthetist. Doing too much too soon can slow your recovery. There's a real danger with assuming you know everything and not listening to the experts.

And no, I won't tell you the make of the foot I'm wearing ;), nothing personal.

Offline Tigertatt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »
HEHE nothing personal taken -- I completely understand since I know someone using and I too will have a chance to use a brand new prototype vacuum socket system that is being tested right now.
Accident 2-7-06
Knowledge is Power

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
I was checking out the Bioquest Perfect Stride with my prosthetist the other day. Looks like a great foot, but not perfect for my needs. It's like a Harley Davidson motorcycle, great for straight aways but maybe not so dynamic in the "twisties". I'm most likely going to try the College Park Venture this time around. We considered a Delta Twist adapter, but then there would be too much going on for my needs. So, Venture it is, with regular pylon. I've worn the Reflex VSP, too heavy and "busy" for me, and currently use the Advantage DP for daily use at work and golfing. Ages ago, 15 years ago,  I had a Seattle light foot with an Endolite ankle, but shearing the ankle bolt a few times got me onto other feet. For me, liner and socket compatibility are the most important factors. I'm having custom cast TEC liners made this time around as I have a very short, boney, pointed right stump which, due to grafted skin, can break down easier than my left residual limb. I feel that you can have a $10,000.00 foot and it's worth squat if you can't wear it due to a poor fitting socket. The gentleman who started this thread needs to stop SHOUTING in his posts and realize that we're all adults here. Don't feel offended if people don't respond to your posts right away... we have lives too.Cheers. David in Canada. Double Bk amputee. 32 years now.
pin-hi

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
David, my situation is much like yours (and probably most everyone else):  I am a hard to fit socket and socket fit is the #1 priority.  I spent nearly two years with a locally reknown prosthetist who couldn't build me a socket that I could walk with.  I have an end of the tibia problem that can only be fixed by a good, well bumped out socket as well as an alignment problem which was fixed (finally) by a coyote type coupler.

Only now, after finding an angel of a leg man who built me a wonderful socket (and I know he can do it again!), can I worry about the foot.  Feet-smeet.  I could walk in a pegleg as long as socket fit is very good!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA