Author Topic: Parity insurance legislation  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: Parity insurance legislation
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
I thought I'd share our snowiest winter in 118 years.   :)

It's hard to tell from the pictures but the snowbanks are almost 5 feet tall. 

I know that a lot of locations in the country normally get this much snow but this is way above our average snowfall. 

So far, I've managed to stay upright and haven't fallen.   ;)

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »
The pictures do it justice!!  I can imagine that from sitting in a car, the snowbanks are waaaay over the top of your car!

I don't have to go anywhere.  My daughter is holed up in her apartment.  My husband did go to work, but he has a front wheel drive and brand new tires, so he should be ok (it's the other people on the road I worry about!).

I have coffee, nicotine gum and my healthy food.  I'm gonna stay here!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  You folks in OH and WI can keep all that snow.  Here in Philly area, we're just getting a doozy of a rain storm, hopefully no snow this time.  This year, we've had it easy snow-wise.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
I'm sitting here at the 'puter, looking out the window at the snow storm that you guys are sending up north to us in Canada. We're expecting up to a foot! It's spring break for the kids here and a lot of people are leaving today and this weekend to go south... glad my kids are grown and we're not trying to drive down to Florida as we've done many years when they were little! I think that I'll be spending the weekend inside watching TV and playing on the 'puter!
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
Good Grief!  It's March and they are predicting blizzard like conditions with the second wave of snow later tonite.  Here in good ole Cincinnati.

I hear Arkansas has it worse.  They are not at all prepared for this.

My husband is at work and is scheduled to come home right at the worst of it.  I texted him and told him to get on home!!  Zero visibility, blowing, snowing and drifting snow -- this ain't good!!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi Mitchee Your yard looks just like mine. My snow banks are 8-10' tall. I spent the day repairing fence. We have deer and moose and bears that run through my fence. The snow is so deep in my pasture that the horses only stay on certain paths, but the snow will be melting soon so I had to fix the fence first. It was in the 40s today and the snow is getting soft so I was sinking in to my waist and had to crawl over the snow where I couldn't snow mobile right to the repair. I worked up a real sweat just trying to get through the snow. We have had so much snow this winter that I have not been able to work for a few months. The last 2 years, we had so little snow that I was able to work all winter at my usual work as an arborist. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 09:33:01 AM »
With this post i am going to relveal about how old i am, but with all your talk about snow, the worst one i can remember is the winter of 1949 was only 6 then and can remember walking up a drift on the north side of the house and then sliding down to the ground on the south side drift, we must of had at least a mile of snow tunnels in the back yard and can also remembering mom going through one to the cloths line to hang up wet one that froze and we had freeze dried ones that winter, and me and my sister walked to school in waist deep snow and the school only closed  for three day when they lost the heat in the school. back then we didn't get rides to school like the kids do today, the only ones that got a ride was ones out side of town that had to ride the school bus, and they didn't pickup us that lived inside the city limits.the person that raised me worked for the county at that time and was blowing open roads that winter and some times it took him and hour just to get a quarter of a mile done in some places cause the drifts were 10 to 12 ft high on the roads. this i do know cause i went with him a couple of times.

As far as people come south to get out of the bad weather anit going to have much luck down here in TEXAS, cause it is below 30 outside right now and it snowed yesterday almost all day, i know that it is colder up where y'all are but the place that i was talking about in 1949 was SUNDANCE, WYOMING, that is where i live until i went into the service.

And due to the snow and cold that is why i am retired here in TEXAS.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
Pegleg, you're not old!  I was born in 1955 (of course lots of folks here will think I'M old!).

Wow, here on the east side of Cincinnati (Brown County), we have 15" of snow with 3-4 more predicted.  We are under a blizzard watch.  Cincinnati proper got about 10".  This is our biggest snowfall in quite a few years.

All my family is accounted for and staying in their homes.  I think I'll make a pot of chili (modified to suit my diet!) and watch the birds outside at the feeder.  My cat, Rasta, won't leave the window.  He can see the birds against the snow very well.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »
Well Pegleg, you and I were born the same year. Up here in Ontario, when I was young, I don't remember school ever being closed for a snow day and we definitely had some big dumps. We just trudged through! :) While the snow fall here isn't as high as when I lived in the Canadian prairies, both Manitoba and Saskatchewan, we are getting our share this year. So far we've had 179 cm (70 inches) and going for a record year if we get another 30 cm (12 inches). We only got about  5 cm (2 inches) last night in our area, plus another 5 cm this morning and are expecting another 10 - 15 cms (4 - 6 inches) tonight. On top of what we had, it's getting to be enough! :) Here's a shot of our back yard I took a few minutes ago.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »
Old?  Aw, all you young folks.  Since I just turned 70, I gotta be one of the oldest gimpy geezers in this here club.

1949?  I don't remember the exact year, but that sounds about right for some of the snowiest winters in the Boston area.

Your photos of the snowbanks bring back memories of snowier winters.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA