Author Topic: Parity insurance legislation  (Read 5187 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Parity insurance legislation
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
Hi All - New jersey governor signed a new parity law today assuring amputees adequate insurance coverage. It is the eighth state to do so and i understand that there is progress on a federal bill. It is about time that insurance companies recognized that prosthetic care is medical care. herb

Offline ginger

• View Profile
Re: Parity insurance legislation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
Herb,
Thank God for small favors.  We are working for it here in NY, Hopfully we can follow suit soon.
However I think ours is more geared to pediatric coverage.  But maybe they will add adult care to the bill. Or maybe I will move to NJ, oh, the only place I'm moving to is where there is no snow.
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »
Hi Ginger - we have parity insurance in NH but we also have lots of snow. Where I live we have already had around 9 feet of it and are expecting another foot tonight. Buildings are collapsing from snow loads. I haven't shoveled my roofs yet because I had surgery in December on my arm, but I am going to have to today because I have over 4 feet on some of my roofs. It is 15 below zero this morning. Not a good day to be on the roof. Herb

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
Herb,
Hope that you are feeling better.  My hubby just told me to let you know that the very small snow blowers made for sidewalks work really well removing snow from roofs.  But make sure its not a steep roof and that its a real small snow blower. 
We have been really lucky this year with snow, we would get a foot or two and then it would warm up for a few days and it would melt down to only a few inches.  Snowing out right now but only expecting about 3 inches.  What has been the best though is Lake Erie froze over and we aren't getting the lake effect snow like normal.
Good luck shoveling.  Please take care.
Ginger
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
Hi Ginger - thanks for the advice. I have taken the snowblower up on the roof in past years, but mine is large and I wouldn't try it now that I have a prosthesis. I do most of the shoveling from standing in the tractor bucket with it raised up about 10 feet. I have a shovel and a roof snow rake with 10 foot handles. I was able to pull a lot off some low areas with a tractor. I am from Cleveland and remember lake erie freezing over on some years. Every year I look forward to the large lakes freezing over so I can snowmobile and ice fish. They were late to freeze over this year and a lot of impatient people broke through the ice with trucks, cars and snowmobiles. Herb

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:39:12 PM »
It got all the way down to 28 one night this winter in Houston.
We had snow one year when I was a kid. 1 inch shut down the town.
My azaleas are in bloom as we speak.
This was taken on New Years Day last year.

78 degrees and sunny today.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:09:55 AM »
When they (the evil insurance empire) said I couldn't have surgery in October, but "probably" in January, my friends assured me it was going to be a very mild winter here in N. East PA.  Ha Ha.  I've had more snow than I like to think about!  It's not feet of snow, but it's amazing how much it takes to make me afraid to go outside.

As for shoveling my roof, um, I'd never do that.  Too high, too steep.  Too afraid of heights! 

But this morning I woke up to the sound of a bird singing.  The pigeons don't do that, so it must be a real bird.  That means a) I've been clueless for a while b) the warm weather birds are starting to return.

With luck, I'll get the OK to start walking again in another month (or two) and the trapped in the house thing won't be such an issue.

The doc says the ankle is healing up fine, it looks like the ankle fusion is working just fine.  But we haven't done anything to put weight or pressure on it yet.  It's still in a post-op erector-set frame.

One thing I noticed while reading this thread... On the old system, it would show your location under your name.  I don't know if this one isn't doing it or if people haven't entered a location.  But it makes the snow levels more of a guessing game.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
Hi JClark,
I live in Western NY, near Buffalo.  So I know what you mean about snow.
I had my amputation last August, and got my prosthetic in October.
I have been locked up in the house all winter and can't wait until I can really get outside.
I have been practicing with my prosthetic inside, but as for getting outside, the only place I have been is to the doctors and to the prosthetistists office and PT.  I got the left foot accelerator put in my car in Dec.(I am a RAKA) and haven't even been able to got out more that twice to practice.  I want to drive on clear roads and be comfortable before getting into winter driving.

Good luck with your walking and hire someone to shovel off your roof.

The birds are returning here also, but it' not spring until the robins return.

Ginger  ;)
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
Hi Ginger... know what you mean by snow, just on the other side of the border in southern Ontario. I'm not letting it stop me. I try to get over to the mall each day... fortunately it's only 5 minutes away and I can park under cover so it's not too slippery. Then I wheel into the mall and join the mall walkers. The mall's a great place to walk. Early in the morning before opening there's lots of room and always a bench to sit on when you're tired. A great place to practice and the food court opens early so I can have breakfast and coffee!

And JClark, I can appreciate your comments on shovelling your roof... I agree, that's a job for someone other than me... or just wait, it'll eventually melt! :) Surely spring can't be that far off... can it? I hope not!
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
All this talk of snow!  Here in suburban Philadelphia, we've had a little bit of snow this year, but today it's downright balmy - mid 60's F. 

Being an old New Englander, I can appreciate "real" snow, that you folks in Buffalo, Ontario, NH, and NE PA are used to.

Jake, I've seen pictures of your house.  Stay off the cotton-pickin' roof.  Yeah, I know that right now while you're healing, you'll behave yourself, right?

Now, picture this 70-year-old DBKA on crutches, it doesn't take much to slow me down.  Last week, we had a couple of inches of snow with a little ice here and there.  I chose to get off the slippery shoveled walkway, and trudge thru the snow along-side.  My sticks don't slide around in the actual snow.

Most days we try to get out of the house.  Between church work, meetings, eating out and assorted other things, most days are busy.  But once in a while, in our old age, we look out the window and decide it's a great day to hibernate.  This ol' cream-puff has no desire to break any bones.

All you folks in snowy areas take care.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »
Snow... Ugh!!!!  I live in Wisconsin and we have had the 4th snowiest winter on record and the snowiest February ever.  It seems like all I do is shovel and run the snowblower.  lol  I can't complain too much because it gets me outside and I am able to do it. 

As for shovelling a roof, I've never done it and don't think I'd ever try it.  A friend comes over and uses his roof rake for me.  He can only get about 10 feet of the roof but it's better than nothing. 

I haven't seen any birds at the bird feeder other than the sparrows.  Hopefully, the migratory birds will be returning soon.  I'm looking forward to going outside to do something other than snow removal.  :)

I know this thread was originally about parity insurance legislation, so I apologize for derailling this thread but I couldn''t resist adding to the snow/winter posts.   ;)
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
Southwestern Ohio sounds much nicer than some of the northerly and east locations!  I'm not a big winter fan (it's only good for making me appreciate the other three seasons!).

As far as insurance parity --  way to go enlightened states!  I'm considering getting involved in Ohio to help pass parity laws for amputees... We are still behind the times.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:44:02 AM »
Mitchee, and others up north, the birds are on their way, the robins just showed up here in TEXAS this week, and thats a good sign that spring is on its way.

As for the parity bill down here in TEXAS, i havent checked on it lately have been busy working on some stuff that i needed though the VA, and got notification yesterday that i have been given 20% disability for hearing lose and tinnitus.
So now i can get on to work with the group down here to get in passed in this state.

PEGLEG JACK
you-all have a great day.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »
Dang, PL!  We are getting whooped with our biggest snow fall of the year as I type!

I live 40 miles east of Cincinnati, and our prediction is for 11-15 inches of snow in the next 24 hours.  Yikes!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
Hi Marilyn.  Yikes, 11-15 inches of snow.  Be careful if you have to go outside for any reason.   

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu