Author Topic: ever forget your missing a limb?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: ever forget your missing a limb?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »
I don't consider myself to be politically correct but I personally do not use the word stump.  I don't care if others use it or say it to me but it is not how I choose to refer to my residual limb.  I usually call it my leg.  Everyone knows what I'm referring to and it doesn't sound like a text book name (residual limb) or a tree (stump).  I have found that older people refer to it as a stump and younger people call it my leg or my limb.  To me, trees have stumps, people do not.  (If you want to be technical, then you can't use the term residual limb because trees have limbs too.  lol)  For me, the word stump seems like a crude and archaic word when you are referring to a person, which is why I choose not to use that word.  It is just easier for me to refer to it as my leg.  As previously stated, I do not take offense when people use the term stump it is just a word that I do not use.     
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
Stump or strumpie for me personally is just fine. I'm not PC at all. and that's what it is to me! :)

Don't sweat the petty stuff, but be sure to pet the sweaty stuff.  :D

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
While I do refer to it on occasion as my stump, that word still makes me cringe a little inside, I don't know why because it is what it is but for the most part I just say my good leg and my bad leg.

anne

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
I had my amputation at nine years old and was told never to fall on the amputated limb, and it must have made one heck of a groove in my brain as I have never, ever in 52 years fallen on my stump.  I've fallen plenty of times on my prosthetic knee...oh, gosh, feels like millions of times!  But never without the prosthesis on.  Och, it just makes me cringe, the thought.

And as far as names, for most of my life I couldn't use the word "stump".  I agree with Mitchee, it just felt too course, crude, blunt and self-derogatory...so uh-uh, nope.  But since I've been hanging out on a couple of amputee forums, for the last few years, I'm actually okay with it now.  It is after all a stump...a stump of a limb.  I used to fondly call it my "little leg", feeling sort of objectively sorry for it, but, hey, it's just a word and just a leg.  It's not me. 

Offline edinct

• before my accident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
We call mine my stump or like Myffanwy does "my little leg"  :) also

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
because of the shape of mine, i call my left on PICK and the right on the SHOVEL. my left one doesnot have dog ears and is poinsted and the right one has dog ears and i kind of flat like a shovel, but most of the time i just reffer them as my stumps.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
I had my amputation at nine years old and was told never to fall on the amputated limb, and it must have made one heck of a groove in my brain as I have never, ever in 52 years fallen on my stump.  I've fallen plenty of times on my prosthetic knee...oh, gosh, feels like millions of times!  But never without the prosthesis on.  Och, it just makes me cringe, the thought.

And as far as names, for most of my life I couldn't use the word "stump".  I agree with Mitchee, it just felt too course, crude, blunt and self-derogatory...so uh-uh, nope.  But since I've been hanging out on a couple of amputee forums, for the last few years, I'm actually okay with it now.  It is after all a stump...a stump of a limb.  I used to fondly call it my "little leg", feeling sort of objectively sorry for it, but, hey, it's just a word and just a leg.  It's not me. 

Like you Myffanwy I was told the same at quite a young age, and you are right it does make a groove in the brain.  Am having to be especially careful myself at the moment after recent surgery and am still not wearing a limb on that side.

I don't think I called my leg a stump for years, but then years ago I wasn't really around or spoke much to other amputees, think I used to (and still often do) refer to it just as my leg, which probably confuses people but it is still my leg. 

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »
I was so stunned they had to amputate my leg below the knee!!...  for two days after the surgery I had them hold up a pillow...I just couldn't look @ it when they would come in to re-bandage it...FINALLY on the day I went home the doctor said THIS IS THE DAY!  He would have none of it, I looked.

Sorry, I still can't call it my stump {even if it is} can't do it....I refer to my leg & everyone knows which one I am talking about.  No names either.  The only time & I mean the only time I forgot was when I was washing my hair right after I had gotten home from the hospital...I started to step back from the sink...hubby was standing right behind me or I would have gone down...gosh, I would have hit the floor.  It scared me so bad, it never happened again.  Once was enough.  Now I didn't say I haven't fallen since...I said I haven't forgotten my leg was amputated. 

Offline Cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »
I don't use the word, "stump" either- for the same reasons Mitchee and Ann mentioned.  I'm not offended in the least when someone else uses it, you'll just never hear me say it.  To each his/her own.

Back to the OP, I have never forgotten that I'm missing my leg, but I did fall 2 years ago (while on my crutches in my kitchen) and landed smack dab on my residual limb and fractured it.   :o   It was the worst pain in my entire life- worse than childbirth and worse than my amputation.  I still cringe when I re-live that event...
Monterey, CA
Rt. AKA, 1993
Osteogenic Sarcoma
C-leg
NPS Vacuum Socket

snowbear

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
For me "Stump" is a perfectly good name. not so sensitive and that's what mine is. And its rather funny!! :) :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »
Ann, i can relate to how you felt, i felt the same way when i came out of it on the second operartion that took my right leg, looked down and couldnot see any o f my toe, both feet were gone, and yes it did take a couple of days before i could reallly look at them. But now it dosent bother me that much to look at them especially that i have to, to make sure idont have any ingrown hairs or blisters on my stumps.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »
After my amputation when I got back to my room my brother took a mirror and held  it at the end of the bed so I could see my stump. I was not upset or freaked at all. It was just another operation only this time the useless leg was gone. After 17 unsuccessful operation to safe it since infancy. It really did not phase me and still doesn't.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
Maybe it was due to having a defective leg all your life "snowbear" and you were just glad it was finally over....or maybe you just are stronger mentally.  Anyway I know I didn't have the courage I needed for acouple of days.   :) ann

snowbear

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:38 AM »
Oh defiantly Ann, no doubt I ques it was god's way of preparing me for it some day!

snowbear

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »
I have often thought that people who lose a limb who had 2 perfect legs all their liefs and suddenly have to loose one  or both must be completely awful. I  can't imagine it. I'm not saying that mine was a piece of cake. But since I suffered all my life with a crap leg it was easier. Some people tell me I went through all that just to lose it anyway. But it is what it is. I do have compassion for other amputees especially AK and double amputees and it has given be a strong personality..No suprise their for most of you who know me!

:)