Author Topic: ever forget your missing a limb?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline edinct

• before my accident
    • View Profile
ever forget your missing a limb?
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
Well last night I did.
Fell asleep watching tv, and woke up to let the dog out, well I usually sit on the edge of the bed for a minute or two than transfer to my chair so I can put my leg on, well I was still half asleep and just hopped out of bed and went to take a step and quickly found out its a long way to the floor when you don't have a leg  :)
My scream was the worst part of it, scared the wife and the animals, my stump did hit the floor but not too hard, it was sore but not bad. I have a ertl/bone bridge on the end of my stump so that helped somewhat.
I just can't believe that I forgot I was missing my leg :o
Take care
ED

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ever forget your missing a limb?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
Ed-

I have. Once or twice but I have. I may have written this before but I was home after a stump revision and a overnight (let sleepless) hospital stay. I was sleeping on the couch when the door buzzer sounded. I was up like a shot and promptly landed on my stitched up leg. The pain was horrible but I hopped to the door thinking it was my brother living thousands of miles away in America (why I thought I have no idea). It was the postman with a parcel and he wanted to have the aul chat. I made my excuses and went back to check the leg. It was bleeding so I had to go to the GP, luckily I had pulled out any stitches and mended just fine.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »
Yes, I have.  I just recently jumped out of bed fom a deep sleep because I had a bad cramp in my leg (the good one).  I landed on the floor bruised but nothing broken.  I really lucked out.  That is the first time in 8 years that it has happened to me.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
well i cant say that it has happened to me cause i am missing both, but have gotten up and found out one of my legs were not locked on and as i start to walk the leg come off and down i went, right on my stump hurt like all get out for a few days and a then back at it i went.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
I did, once when I was a new amputee. I've not done it since... in over twenty five years...

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
Well last night I did.
Fell asleep watching tv, and woke up to let the dog out, well I usually sit on the edge of the bed for a minute or two than transfer to my chair so I can put my leg on, well I was still half asleep and just hopped out of bed and went to take a step and quickly found out its a long way to the floor when you don't have a leg  :)
My scream was the worst part of it, scared the wife and the animals, my stump did hit the floor but not too hard, it was sore but not bad. I have a ertl/bone bridge on the end of my stump so that helped somewhat.
I just can't believe that I forgot I was missing my leg :o
Take care
ED

Hi Ed

Only once in nearly 40 yrs have i hit my stump down on the floor as you did, and that was about ten years ago during a period I was not wearing one of my limbs, and it was from the edge of the bed.  I know that is the place I have to be at my most careful, especially if I have one leg on and one leg off.

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »
Constant  pain is a constant reminder! I never forget. :)

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
The only time I've fallen since becoming an amp was when I forgot I was an amp. I haven't forgotten since. I was lucky to see what was coming and tucked stumpy up so I landed on carpet on my knee.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »
...and tucked stumpy up...

Ha, thats what i call my one... :) 'Residual limb' sounded daft.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
Stump or strumpie for me personally is just fine. I'm not PC at all. and that's what it is to me! :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Thats mine also, just plain old stumps, and like snowbear i am not(rpt)not PC at all.

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
That's mine also, just plain old stumps, and like snowbear i am not(rpt)not PC at all.

My husband LOVENIGLY calls me stumpy! no offence taken at all. :) I'm not sensitive at all either. Life is to Short to sweat the Small stuff. :)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
Stumps?  My sentiments, too.

There is an amputee group on the West Coast that calls itself "Stumps R Us", a take-off on the famous toy company.

I appreciate the humor in such a name.   :)

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
I saw a group of amputees call themselves "stump jumpers" LOL! I love that one. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Dick, there is two units of STUMP'S R US, one in SAN FRANCISCO and on out here in TEXAS   STUMP'S R US EAST TEXAS DIVISION, i am not up and running as of yet but have his permission to use the name.