Author Topic: How to get the foot into a tall boot?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
How to get the foot into a tall boot?
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
I would like to buy a pair of woman's tall boots, almost to the knee sort of in the style of an equestrian riders boot.  They would have a fairly flat heel so that would not be a problem but how on earth do I get the foot bent as it is down the long shaft, do I have to have a shoemaker install a zipper all the way down the back? I thought I remembered one of the girls on here saying they liked to wear the tall boots with a longer skirt which I think would be perfect for the fall weather.

anne

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the foot into a tall boot?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:28:50 AM »
I used to have some handsome tall leather boots, anne, and they just happened to tie up in the front (it was fashionable at the time), but if you checked with a good shoemaker/repair person beforehand, I'm sure you could get a well-placed and neat zipper up the back or inside of the boot?  Check it out before the purchase though.  (I love tall boots)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
I faced the same problem in trying to use wellies (wellington rubber 'farm' boots). I modified a pair for myself which but unless your fairly handy with leather you may have a hard time doing. My little modification (a slit down the back with a rubber flap and velcro attached) only lasted about 8 months before the it faltered and water and muck streamed like on the Titanic. You could even bring in a picture of the boots to the cobbler and just ask what he can do.

For those out there looking for a pair of wellington boots for farming, hunting fishing etc, I did find a pair online that were already adapted with a full length zip. Anne, give the same site a browse, I think they have equestrian type boots as well (but maybe not!) and maybe they have a pair like what you are looking for. The one thing with this site is that they are not cheap! Of course if you found a nice boot you can look else where for the same boot to find a better price.

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_241-footwear/761-le-chameau-chasseurnord-boots.html

~~

Anne, I found these after I quick look. I stopped after page 4. I don't know if the style is what you like...

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_241-footwear/1114-musto-buckden-shooting-boots.html

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »
That is why I stay away from these kind of boots. But when I was a kid a had a long leg brace and had the same problem. I used a plastic bag over my leg to get them on. good luck!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
Annef, looks like they have answered you question real good, right now i have three pairs of western boots that i would love to wear agian, but for what i payed for them 350.00 a pair i just cannot let my self to take them to a good shop and have zippers but in them to be able to get them on, maybe one of these days i will get it done.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »
shoes/ boots are over rated it never was a priority with me. I never had much a of a choice.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
PLJ-

Talk to your local cobbler. They might be able to put in a 'hidden' zipper. I do know what you mean though. I have a pair of my fathers boots and I don't think I could alter them.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
Cobblers

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't stop myself, I realise it's very childish, call it election fever...

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »
alright....shoe repair technician.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
Wow, nice looking boots, but approx $600...whew!  (Must be good??)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
If I liked a boot on this site I would copy the name and look elsewhere. They're fierce expensive.

snowbear

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
One good thing about my amputation is I no longer have to buy 2 pair of shoes or boots. With my leg I was 4 size differences! and of course they always had one size but not the other! ::)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:35:54 AM »
Thanks Steve for the link and ya those are some spensive boots for sure, lol I will definitely have to hurry up my shopping though as it snowed here this morning and at present I am still wearing my crocs  :-[

anne

snowbear

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:39:38 AM »
Ann, have you seen the HUGS? they are a shorter boot and easy to get over the prosthetic.