Author Topic: Running leg  (Read 1546 times)

Offline tonybka

• View Profile
Running leg
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »
I am thinking of building a running leg this winter. The insurance will not pay for it as it is not a "medical necessity." Has anyone tried the Freedom Innovations Nitro running foot? I could build it up cheaper with this foot, rather than having a dedicated running leg. I was thinking of installing a ferrier coupler to switch between everyday foot and running. Has anyone used a ferrier coupler, and how has it held up?

Thanks

Tony

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Running leg
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
I wish I could help you Tony but I wouldn't know a thing about the ferrier coupler or the freedom Innovations Nitro running foot. Don't worry though, I bet someone has some good advice.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Tony,
I have not tried this style of foot. It looks like you end up running more on the balls of you feet rather than the more typical heel strike in distance running. I would talk to Freedom and or Ossur to see if you can demo. You might try contacting the Challened Athletes Foundation to see if they can get you in touch with an athlete that's using one. They have a mentor program for that purpose.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »
.... I would talk to Freedom and or Ossur to see if you can demo....

I agree, most prosthetic companies offer a trial (of 30 - 60 days) on their high end stuff... (Beware that Otto Bock are notorious for making you buy things if you mark them, so i avoid trialling any of their stuff!)

If you're trying to keep cost and weight down then the Ferrier Coupler might not be the best idea (Although i've never used one cos (as far as i'm aware) it doesn't bear a CE mark). Most modular prostheses use a universal Pyramid system, this system allows you to interchange the prostheses but still maintain length and alignment - and the parts relatively cheap.

You could probably get away with one of the high end feet (e.g. Ossur Reflex VSP, Endolite Elite2, College Park Trustep, Freedom Inn. Renegade) for daily use and running - in which case it would be a medical necessity (and therefore paid for!)!