Author Topic: Hi from Ontario  (Read 2248 times)

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Hi from Ontario
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Peter and I'm a bilateral above knee amputee from Ontario, Canada. I lost both legs in 1974 going to help at an accident on the side of a highway, so have been an amputee for 34 years now. I walked exclusively with two canes for over 25 years but have been using a wheelchair when going longer distances for the last 7 or 8 years. I walk with canes at home and when visiting friends.

I've gone through 6 sets of legs and have had the 7th set for about a year now. I've managed quite well over the years and have travelled extensively throughout Canada and the US on business, but have now been retired for almost 5 years. My current legs are titanium posts, four-way ankles, Greisenger feet, Mauch knee units, with carbon fibre endoskeletal suction sockets and foam cosmesis and flexible vinyl liners. I tried Ossur's seal-in liners but was unable to adapt to them due to welts in my skin at the tops of the liners which I could not control with lubricants or adjustments by my prosthetist. After a couple of weeks we decided that I should stick to the hard vinyl liners and continue to don them with tensors as I've never been able to use stockinette and get in deep enough. This set are my first with endoskeletal post and have definitely been much better in adjusting gait and posture.

I'm happy to find this site and look forward to contributing my experience and hope to take advantage of yours.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Ontario
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Hi Peter - welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have done amazingly well for the last 34 years. I have a left aka and get along well, but I could not imagine with having to deal with 2 prosthetic legs. My amputation resulted from a 1968 motorcycle accident, although a had many years of surgeries trying to save the leg before I gave in to amputation. My knee on my flesh leg has worn out and I have had several operations and a replacement. My recovery from the knee replacement has made me think a lot about being a double amputee. I admire your success. herb

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Ontario
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
Thanks Herb...

I'm retired now but still quite active, although I use a chair when I go out but still walk around the house or quick trips from the car into the bank. I walk with two canes. I can manage with one cane in the kitchen. I have a light enough chair that I can lift it in and out of the trunk, so am able to go out for breakfast and a paper every morning. I still enjoy hobbies, photography, computer, and hunting for depression glass. So if you ever get to the point that you have to go bilateral... it's no biggie! :)
Peter
BAK since '74