Author Topic: another question for everyone  (Read 7859 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: another question for everyone
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
THANKS Snowbear, it can be a ball some times, i lost mine to blood clots and gangarene, but it still hit me hard when i woke up after that second op and couldnt find my feet, just lumps of bandages down there, but have been abe to get passed that and now  at times have fun with them,
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
With the attitude you have you are doing well. God Bless you.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »
Ann and Snowbear:

Being a double amputee ..... hmmm.  Yeah, being a double is more complicating than a single, but the conditions under which it happened are better than some have experienced.  OK, so "walk in the park" is a relative term.  And yes, the "park" can have some rough spots. ... I still say.....

Compared to some amputees who have constant pain (phantom or otherwise)...

Compared to some who struggle with deep depression.....

Compared to some who have lost a spouse or family, who abandoned them after their amputation.....

Compared to some whose careers were shattered by their amputations.....

...and more....  Yes, mine really IS a "walk in the park".   :)   ;D
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
Well I'm a amputee who dose have constant pain 24/7 phantom and actual, I have limited walking and standing ability and mobility's. Many challenges, I
can only work part time. However, I'm lucky I have at least one sound leg some people do not

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
Dick... I'm with you. As a BAK who lost his legs traumaticly, I thank each day that I'm still alive. I've been an amputee for almost 35 years and had ups and downs but I honestly believe that I have it much better than many other amputees that have constant pain. I get zingers occasionally but an Advil usually stops them within a short time. I never considered suicide... I had and have too much to live for, a great wife, 2 girls and now 2 grandchildren. I look at being disabled, as being 'differently' abled! I continually strive each day to be the best that I can and if that means using a wheelchair for long distances and canes around the house and yard, then so be it! I believe that each of us has challenges that we have been given, and success is not just measured by overcoming them, but also by managing them, day by day. Life's too valuable to not live it to the max that you are able.
Peter
BAK since '74

snowbear

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
I'm a LBK for 5 years now and have pain non stop odd zings, zaps, stabs and the feeling that my toes are being cut off one by one. I have the same exact pain I had before the amputation Even though the leg is gone. I  Have limited walking ability and standing even though I gut through it and push  myself to do more. I'm still lucky its only 1 leg and below the knee. And that I have one sound leg. Having 2 gone must be a living hell. My respect to all amputees but double amputees have it much worse than me. And I have pain non stop.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
I so agree with Dick!  It really isn't the level or number of amputations a person has, but how it affects their daily living. I've seen people with two (sometimes three) limbs missing and some hip disarticulates who are quite active, basically pain-free, and living normal, happy, independent lives; I've also seen a young BK amp so miserable with phantom pain he just hobbles through his day, depressed and on medication, hanging in there for his family. Pain and the drugs many have to take for it can cause depression which can be so debillitating. Teo, a former member of this forum comes to mind. He is young, strong and intelligent, but the drugs he took to manage his pain made him miserable.  So sad!

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

snowbear

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
My amputation effects me daily non stop constant pain. But I'm so thankful its not 2 limbs that I'm effected by. I don't let my pain run my life. I have a very high tolerance's to pain. I really know no different since pain has been my constant companion since I was a infant. And I can not imagine having this kind of pain with 2 limbs gone and for some people all the limbs.

snowbear

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
I ques what I'm saying is I'm grateful for what I do have. I try to focus on that other than what I don't have.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
Reminds me of an old joke where the guy walks past a woman and gropes her from head to toe saying, "Sorry Miss, I'm just not feeling myself today".

Of course you don't feel the same. You're not the same. Life has offered you the unique opportunity to stop, step asside and examine yourself on another level. A true change in perspective. The inability to accept change is hell (Zen).
Time and Tide makes believers of us all. Don't fight it.

I'm Joe A. and I approve this message.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
Reminds me of an old joke where the guy walks past a woman and gropes her from head to toe saying, "Sorry Miss, I'm just not feeling myself today".

Of course you don't feel the same. You're not the same. Life has offered you the unique opportunity to stop, step asside and examine yourself on another level. A true change in perspective. The inability to accept change is hell (Zen).
Time and Tide makes believers of us all. Don't fight it.

I'm Joe A. and I approve this message.

Joe, I joined this forum not long ago and found an old topic which was posted by you in March, good to know that your open heart surgery was successful. Just wanna say hi to you and wish you the best.

snowbear

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
I don't think any amputee ever feels the same. When I was in the prosthetist office he has on display braces, legs, pylons and orthopedic devices. I thought gee I wish I still only had a leg brace in place of this "gumby" leg it was a hell of a allot better than this living hell I'm in. :)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »
Oh Snow bear you're not in hell. I know. I'v been to Hell. Went there on vacation. That's where I met the Demon. You're just at the level when you have to start examining your prostheses for yourself to determine wht little changes need to be made o make it all work for you.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

snowbear

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »
Its just an expression.!  :)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 01:37:18 PM »
Snowbera, do you get worse pain with the prosthesis on? or is it the same if you aren't wearing the legs?