Author Topic: emergency situation, what if?  (Read 10758 times)

Offline edinct

• before my accident
    • View Profile
emergency situation, what if?
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
What has everyone planned to do in an emergency situation?
I always have crutches nearby, say if a fire started in my home, or I needed to get out quick I could always hop or sit on the floor and slide around. If someone broke into my house though, being on the floor or crutches would really be of no use, (there is always something next to the bed for protection, and I mean from intruders ;). Have you seen how fast you can put your leg/legs/arm/arms on? I just want to hear what others have planned.
See-ya
ED

Offline Annie

• View Profile
Re: emergency situation, what if?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
What has everyone planned to do in an emergency situation?
I always have crutches nearby, say if a fire started in my home, or I needed to get out quick I could always hop or sit on the floor and slide around. If someone broke into my house though, being on the floor or crutches would really be of no use, (there is always something next to the bed for protection, and I mean from intruders ;). Have you seen how fast you can put your leg/legs/arm/arms on? I just want to hear what others have planned.
See-ya
ED

Errr ... nothing in the way of protection from intruders - just the mobile and hubby when he's home.  Perhaps I live in less dangerous locality ED.

I do have smoke detectors though.

Apart from that the legs are always near the bed, and as I live in a bungalow can always make a quick exit through the window.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
Ed, you have broght up a real good question, and i think that each and everyone of us sould set down and plan this out including my self, have never really thought about it. As for someone breaking in the house, it dosent happen that much down here, mainly because of the right to carry law that we have, and i do have a pistol next to my night stand and it is loaded for bear, as for a fire, i need to do some planning on that one.

SO come on people, lets hear some idea's on this and see what we can come up with that might or may help others!!!!!
you-all have a great day.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
Ed, you have broght up a real good question, and i think that each and everyone of us sould set down and plan this out including my self, have never really thought about it. As for someone breaking in the house, it dosent happen that much down here, mainly because of the right to carry law that we have, and i do have a pistol next to my night stand and it is loaded for bear, as for a fire, i need to do some planning on that one.

SO come on people, lets hear some idea's on this and see what we can come up with that might or may help others!!!!!

Shortly after I had my accident, we lived in a house, and my dad had got a long length of strong rope, it was already tied on to the end of my bed and was for me to get myself out of the window with if there was a fire.  Probably would have done it in those days too - not sure now though.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »
When I moved here to Vancouver Island, off the N. American west coast, 14 years ago, there was always talk about the "big one" coming, even in the front of the phone book, what to do when the big earthquake hit.  I hadn't given that much thought before moving here from waaaay back east, so it was a bit nerve-wracking.  But you can't think about it all the time, and the novelty of it soon wore off.  However, we do have provisions in the house: water, food, batteries, solar radio, etc...and I always keep my leg near the bed, WITH the very necessary air valve IN the leg and extra pull socks all over the room in different drawers, etc.  I think I should tie the leg to the bed post though...hmm.

The thing is we live a block from the water, though behind a fairly sizeable cliff.  If there's a tsunami, which there likely would be, I'll either be washed away (my little "cardboard" house won't withstand a whole lot!) or the water will just come to my window on the second floor.  I suppose I should put a canoe on the roof! 

It is good to give these things some thought. :-\

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
I keep my crutches near by too. I also have a sticker in the windows that says disabled person inside. Like the Tot finder ones  only its for disabled you many get them form your fire department.

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Since my wife became a RAK last year after her car accident, I've been staying home with her all the time except the time that I have to go to grocery stores or to pick up carryout food. I think the best protection is to keep some companions, even a little pet should help. We got a male Maltese last August and he really helps a lot as for my wife's recovering process.

Cellular phones won't do any good if an emergency situation happens, for example, during the CHINO HILLS earthquake, I was driving on the street and our mobile phone services were down for at least 45 mins, so I am planning to subscribe an SATELLITE PHONE later.

My wife can move around without her prosthesis by sitting on the floor and using her both hands, the only thing worries me is our condo, it has 3 levels and all of the bedrooms are on the top (3rd) floor, so I'd rather spend as much time as I can to stay home. Maybe an single story house is a better choice for all the amputees, the "long, strong rope" mentioned by Annie is a good idea, too.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:07:18 AM »
I live in the sticks. Actually I live about 20 miles past the sticks. Even though the chance of being burgled is probably worse in the inner city it does happen out here. Having a pricey jeep doesn't help. I bought a bungalow so escape is fairly easy, out the window. All the windows open fully. As far as home invasion I have thought about it some degree. My main deterrent is a dog. Millie will bark at the same people she's known for years. Of course if the burglar were to throw a ball she'd chase it.
I always keep the doors and windows locked at night and have torches (flashlights) in a places to help me have a peek around if I do hear anything. The one in the bedroom is the same basic type the cops use (long black metal 'Maglite') and would give a fairly nasty thump if swung.
I don't have a house alarm but I may get one, or even just the box that bolts on the wall. They see the box and have to assume I have the alarm. I have a big dog house for the dog that I keep in plain sight. Thats almost as good as the bolt on house alarm.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »
When I moved here to Vancouver Island, off the N. American west coast, 14 years ago, there was always talk about the "big one" coming, even in the front of the phone book, what to do when the big earthquake hit.  I hadn't given that much thought before moving here from waaaay back east, so it was a bit nerve-wracking.  But you can't think about it all the time, and the novelty of it soon wore off.  However, we do have provisions in the house: water, food, batteries, solar radio, etc...and I always keep my leg near the bed, WITH the very necessary air valve IN the leg and extra pull socks all over the room in different drawers, etc.  I think I should tie the leg to the bed post though...hmm.

The thing is we live a block from the water, though behind a fairly sizeable cliff.  If there's a tsunami, which there likely would be, I'll either be washed away (my little "cardboard" house won't withstand a whole lot!) or the water will just come to my window on the second floor.  I suppose I should put a canoe on the roof! 

It is good to give these things some thought. :-\

Like Myffanwy says it is good to give these things some thought.  We don't have much chance of earthquakes where I am, but like she says you can't think about it all the time,and I think I gave much more thought to this when I was a new amputee than I do now, and then again when I had three young children I was on my own in the house with, then I probably wouldn't have bothered with putting the legs on, I would have just used my knees to get to them quickly.

I think fire used to be the main thing which concerned me, and it still does.  I am paranoid about switches being off and doors being closed, and drive my family mad. I had watched a house go up in flames virtually in front of me when I was a small child, the woman survived but was badly burnt, it was very quick, we had just been talking to her at the gate and we crossed the road to go into a local shop and within minutes the whole house was ablaze.  However, I live near a prison and we did have a couple of prisoners break out some years back, they were thought to be hiding out in my neighbourhood, hubby was away so I did actually take a kitchen knife to bed with me, heaven knows what I thought I was going to do with it!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
We are pretty well set in case of fire.  As a double amp, I use a wheelchair at night.  All on one story, so I could escape out any window, or roll out either the front door or thru garage.  We have interconnected smoke detectors and a CO detector.  (Standard eqipment in these rather new homes.)

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
That's right.  You know, I don't think about the possibility of fires enough.  I mentioned my "cardboard" house, which btw is a townhouse or a row house.  So I could be really careful, but my neighbours might not be.  I do however have hardwired smoke detectors which are tested annually.  But, yes, hmm, fires... :-\

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »
I think about getting out of the house quickly often.  I feel safe when my husband is around but when he's away I worry.  I keep my leg right next to the bed but it does take time to get it on.  My bedroom is on the second floor so it would be difficult to get out.  I thought I was the only one who worried about this.  Maybe some good ideas will come up.  Thanks
He who limps, still walks.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:59 PM »
Maybe I'm outta line.
Mean no harm to anybody.
Long as it stays that way, we're all good.

I figure better to have it and never need it.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »
Ah, you must be from the wild, wild west.  Let me guess: you're voting Republican?   :-\

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:48:29 AM »
where do you live, Iraq?
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.