Author Topic: emergency situation, what if?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: emergency situation, what if?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 05:30:03 AM »
Steve:

Agreed.  I have no need for all that weaponry.  Folks around here are rather civilized.  Besides, with my luck I'd shoot myself in the foot.  Oh .... as a DBKA, I guess it wouldn't matter much, eh?  LOL
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »
Annieg, this is just a thought i had, being that you sleep on the second floor have you ever thought about installing a slide like the ones they have on airplanes on one of your windows, have never priced them but it would be on fast way for you to get out in case of a fire.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
Annieg, this is just a thought i had, being that you sleep on the second floor have you ever thought about installing a slide like the ones they have on airplanes on one of your windows, have never priced them but it would be on fast way for you to get out in case of a fire.

Sorry, think you misunderstood me.  Initially, after my amputation I still lived in my parents house and slept on the second floor, thats why I had the rope,  but these days I live in a bungalow so could get out easily.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
But I'm still on the second floor, PLJ!  In a cardboard box!  That might just be a good idea for me, thanks!  Or at least the rope.  But, you know, I'm a terrible procrastinator...probably won't do either.  But I will look into a sign for my bedroom window...thanks whoever suggested that one. ;)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »
Annie,  I think we are getting mixed up with the similar names.  I've been on this forum for quite a while but don't write too often.   I wonder if there is a way I can change my name a bit so it won't be so confusing.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
Ah, you must be from the wild, wild west.  Let me guess: you're voting Republican?   :-\

No Wild West.
And no Republican.
I resent the insult.
More Libertarian, actually.
You have absolutely nothing to fear from me, unless you intend to invade my home or
harm me or my family.
Funny thing about guns.
I know probably 50 friends who I know carry guns on a regular basis.
I see them in customers' cars all the time.
We have a regular motorcycle riders dinner group on Tuesday night. I know at least 5 of the 10 people are carrying pistols.
No swagger, no posturing.
Does not faze me in the slightest. Comforting, even.
I would feel perfectly comfortable around any of them, in any situation.
The type of person who has trained, certified, and practiced with a weapon, who understands the effects of using a weapon,  is not the type of yahoo who shoots at people on the freeway after being cut off in traffic.
I understand many here will hold different opinions.
We already have laws against unlawful behavior.
I don't feel outlawing a tool is the way to prevent violence.
If it is the answer to violence, it looks like knives are on the way out in Jolly Ol'.

Hurricane Ike rolled through almost 2 weeks ago.
A brother is still without power.
The day after the storm, a huge storm rolled though, I had no power, and the rain poured down from 2 am to 5:15 am. I finally got up, opened the front door, and saw the water had risen
3/4 of the way up my driveway. Perhaps 4 foot elevation change.
I tell myself the rain will let up.
It rains for another hour. I disconnect computer, putit on the bed in the spare room, move valuables to the top shelf of closets,
really start to pucker.
I figure if the water gets high enough, I get on the bed, then swim out a window.
My attic is blocked by my motorcycle, which is blocked in by my car. In a garage leading down to a flooded driveway.

On a lighter note, the rain let up, the waters receded. I drove to another brothers' house to charge my cell phone(which was deader than Elvis), and drank a cold beer.
I've had better days.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 08:27:32 AM »
Quzzitx, you must be down here in good old east texas somewhere.
We lost power for 4 days and i live up in JACKSONVILLE, and they got to me as fast as they could after they found out i couldnot or had a hard time getting in and out of my house without my electric lift i use.

I take it that you have gone throught the safety course that is required to carry a concealed weapon, the chief of police here in town has suggested that i take it and start carrying on myself because of being a douple amputee. And like you have stated, i too am not afraid to knock someone down, for i have done it before over in NAM. So too just dont mess with my family by breaking into my house cause i will use it and have no regrets what so ever, i only have two guns, one pistol and a carbine for hunting and target shooting, Dont see the need for any more.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »
I keep a few weapons on hand (I don't advertise what kinds), and I dearly hope that I'll never, ever need them.  I don't vote Republican, nor Democrat, as a rule -- both parties want to deprive me of valued liberties.  How sad that I can only vote for whoever will do the least damage this time....

As for emergency evacuation, I think it's a good idea to have a backup plan other than taking time to get into your leg(s).  I use crutches off and on, often enough to be proficient, and that would be my first choice for getting out of the house fast.  If you can't use crutches, make sure you can wheelchair or buttscoot effectively if need be (not just to the door, but as far as you have to go to reach safety).  And having an alternate escape route in mind can't hurt, e.g. if your main route can be blocked (stairs on fire, etc).

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a "bug-out bag" ready, loaded with a couple days' worth of clothing, medications, personal items, cash/credit card, list of phone numbers, etc., all packed to be water-tight.  That could make a huge difference if you find yourself suddenly homeless and living in a shelter or motel room for some reason.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
Maybe I'm outta line.
Mean no harm to anybody.
Long as it stays that way, we're all good.

I figure better to have it and never need it.

Oh dear.... we've been here before... how incredibly sad... I'm so glad I don't have insecurities, or constitution for that matter

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Oneblueleg, i know where you are coming from, and there is a lot of truth to it. But this is going to come up agaian and agian i am sorry to say. At this time and place you may live in an area where this is not need or cared for, but what about in the future, things change and some time change in a big hurry and faster than we can or care to have happen. So far there hasnt been need for me to worry about it to much down here in EAST TEXAS, as of yet. because of some of the laws that they have and stand by, one example is the tresspassing law,  if you have some break into your house and you catch him or her in there, you can waste them and nothing is said, agian i am sorry to say it has happened, but this is the way the world looks to me, these kids growing up now days, most of them donot have respect for other peoples proporty in any way shape or form.

Another example is watch what happen when moma and kids go shopping, just after they get into the store the kids all got in differant directions getting in and openning things that they are not going to buy, but moma just looks the other way, and i have seen them even laugh about it and think it is cute.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
Don't forget.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. :D

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:58 PM »
Oh dear.... we've been here before... how incredibly sad... I'm so glad I don't have insecurities, or constitution for that matter
Why sad?
Well, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
I'm quite happy with my choices, and wish you the best with yours.

Did you mean Constitution? The document means much to me.
As much as a Bible to some others.
I hold it in that high regard.
The treatment it has received in the last 100 years causes me great distress.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »
I know that the gun topic has been discussed before.  Here is my 2 cents worth.  Although I do not hunt or eat meat, I believe in the right to bear arms.  I do not disrespect those who choose to hunt or eat meat, as that is their choice.  I grew up in a family of hunters, so I am the minority.  I do believe in the right to bear arms.  I hope that I never have to use a gun but if need to I am prepared to use a firearm.  I own several Glock pistols and multiple shotguns/rifles.  I feel safe where I live but I must admit that I enjoy the freedom of deciding whether or not I want to be armed.  I grew up with the understanding that you never point a weapon (gun) at anyone unless you intend to cause harm.  With that being said, I can say that I have never pointed a gun at someone but I would if I had to.  I was trained in the proper management of a firearm and unfortunately that is where I think our country has strayed.  The media, video games, lack of parental involvement, etc has glorified violence.  Firearm safety is paramount to gun ownership.  Criminals will always have weapons and the law abiding citizens should have the legal right to defend themselves.  I dread the day when Americans can not defend themselves.   

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 05:19:35 AM »
Annie,  I think we are getting mixed up with the similar names.  I've been on this forum for quite a while but don't write too often.   I wonder if there is a way I can change my name a bit so it won't be so confusing.  annieg

Sorry Annieg.

snowbear

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
I thin Ann and Annie are ok spelled differently I noticed.!