Author Topic: SUCTION SOCKET for AK Amputees  (Read 4642 times)

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
SUCTION SOCKET for AK Amputees
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:42:36 AM »
My wife and I have obtained very helpful tips from this community regarding which MPC knee to choose from, since she is getting a new TEST SUCTION SOCKET pretty soon, and she has been wearing a PIN SOCKET for over a year, we'd like to have some feedbacks befoerhand that my wife can be well prepared.

My wife was a dancer and she knows how to maintain her weight at a certain level, b/c a stable size stump is very important for a SUCTION SOCKET. She has a long residual limb according to her prosthetist, and her stump is very strong and has a full range movement. However, she does have neuroma (at least that's what she believes) at the inside tip area of her right stump, and her prosthetist told us that every time putting on the SUCTION SOCKET, my wife has to use either a sleeve or a special lotion in order to pull / slide her stump all the way to the end of the socket. Has anyone have any kind of difficulties with a SUCTION SOCKET? Thank you.

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
Re: SUCTION SOCKET for AK Amputees
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
You can use a sleeve or a tensor bandage, with a little bit of baby powder to act as a lubricant. She should have no problem. I have used the same mold for all my sockets for the last 13 years, so if she keeps in shape, suction sockets are quite good.
Jeff

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:50 AM »
suction sockets are fantastic when they work correctly... however, when they go wrog they are a real pain!

Firstly, your volumue MUST stay constant; any fluctuation (even a few mm) can cause the socket to not fit right and make a terrible 'farting' noise - usually worst when you're walking around wallmart!!!!

If there is likely to be volume fluctuations then i would suggest trying an Iceross Seal-In Liner; you have a bit of scope to adjust the voloume with these things and they are much easier to put on and take off.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »
Hey Mole, you ought here me when i need to add socks on that trombone noise, and with both legs doing it at same time, i can really get some  nasty looks, especially when i am in wally world ( as we call wal-mart).

Didnt mean to high jack the thread, but your comment on farting brought it to mind.
you-all have a great day.

Offline lion_king

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »
Thank you for your replies  :D

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Just to offer a different view, maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't had farting noises pretty much ever. I'm an AK and I wear a Northvane socket in a polypropelene container total contact socket, a good fit means it doesn't happen.
Talc is in fact an abrasive beleive it or not.... other than with silicone sleeves, I would use a silicone lotion instead. The other disadvantage with talc is that it gets into everything, and can affect the performance of your knee dependant upon which type of mechanism the limb has.

Offline lion_king

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
Oneblueleg, thank you and what is Northvane Socket? Is it same as a suction socket, or maybe it's just available in England? I'm not able to find anything about NORTHVANE SOCKET on the web.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Northvane is a flexible plastic. Its usually used as an inner socket due to its comfort. The outer socket is usually made of either Polypropylene, Carbon Fibre or Glass Fibre. Its a pretty common combination in the UK.

With regards above knee sockets, Suction is the suspension type (i.e. how the leg is held on) - the main styles of socket are
 - Quadrilateral (Quad)
 - Ischial Containment (IRC)
 - M.A.S.
 - H-Style (an older principal, but still used today)
 - Combination of the above (Hybrid Socket)
any of these sockets can be made to have a suction suspension, but in term of function, they all work to different principals, each with advantages and disadvantages;

Offline lion_king

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
Chrysochloridae, thank you  :D