Author Topic: My wife's not doing well  (Read 4378 times)

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
My wife's not doing well
« on: September 10, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »
David in Canada here.

Some of you may recall my wife Carole has appendix based goblet cell carcinoid and had major surgery in Nov./05. Since the surgery, she had two rounds of Chemo and was enjoying a good quality of life. We travelled to Scotland where I competed in the Scotish Amputee Open golf tournament, and we had another wonderful trip to Cozumel, Mexico.

Recently, although it had never left, the Cancer came back with a vengence. She had a surgical procedure to sample and cauterize a 1 inch carcinoid tumor in her bladder and has partially obstructed in her small bowel again. Saturday she had surgery to repair her bowel obstruction, but the carcinoid has crusted around the area of obstruction and surgical repair is not possible. No solid food for over 20 days and we're hoping she can keep down fluids. Nourishment was being delivered through a PICC line, but that has been discontinued.

The palliative care nurse team will be involved with Carole's care at home when she's discharged from hospital later this week, and I have been administering meds and will continue to do so at home.

I resigned from my job at Mazda last week, and took compassionate leave to care for my wife.

I may have given you more information than needed in this forum, but I do so to solicit prayers and good thoughts for my wife. My heart is breaking.

David in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: My wife's not doing well
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:41:07 AM »
I can't possibly know what you're going through, but be sure my thoughts are with you and Carole all the way across the Atlantic.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
David, i for one cannot even realize what you are going through, but can tell you that my prayers are with you and your lovely wife,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.
Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »
David - I am so sorry to hear of of Carols medical difficulties. We pray for her remission and recovery. Take care of yourself also. Herb

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
David,  You and Carol are in our thoughts and prayers.  We are hear to listen if you need to vent.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Ervin56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:25 AM »
Dear David, I pray that father God grants you the spirit of acceptance, and that you and your wife both are able to feel the peace and love that my Lord has shown me. May God bless you, Ervin

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
David:

Our prayers are with you and Carole, that our Lord will care for you both.

I'm glad you got to enjoy those trips to Scotland and Mexico before this latest bout with illness set in.

Peace,

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
I only just saw your post. I am so sorry to hear about the trials that you and Carole are being faced with. There is no rhyme nor reason in life and it is never fair. I wish I could say or do something that has more meaning but all I can do is send to you and Carole my best wishes.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »
David, this is the 1st time seeing your post and wish Carole & you do well. Not sure what to say to comfort you, but for me, my wife had a terrible auto accident last year and her right leg was amputated above the knee. She was a professional dancer in China prior to coming to the States, so you can imagine how her life has been changed. Nevertheless, my wife and I have gone thru the most difficult time in our lives, bad things happen from time to time, we just need to be strong and to face the challenges. I can tell that you and Carole are so tight in love, please give my regards to Carole and wish the best for you guys. One last thought, like Churchill:"I never, never, never give up."

snowbear

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »
How is Carol doing? I hope better. many thoughts are with you and Carol.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Dave don't worry. If prayer can put my daughters inoperable cancer into remission then it will work for your wife's as well. Just trust in him and he won't let you down. I will pray for you to give you the strength to be a caregiver.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com