Author Topic: book  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
book
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: book
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
As your moderator for this web site, i can not see anything wrong with what you have posted, for that is just what most of us amputee or on here for is to help others in thier time of need, and i can see where your book fits that to a tee.
You were not trying to sell it to any of use as far as i can see, and i do wish that it was in english, for i now of a couple of youngsters that it would help to no end.

So if it is ever translated in to the english version let me know.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.
you-all have a great day.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
Steve,  You are a talented man!  The art work is fabulous.  There is a lesson tor every child (and adults too). Thanks for sharing this with us.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
Steve:

Looks like a great little book - but please publish an English version, too.

I know of alot of kids who could use this..  Keep up the good work.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »
Good for you, Steve!  I know many of us have a "book in our head" that we never get around to writing.  This looks like a lovely one, and, yes, please, find a way to provide an English version.

Myffy

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:26:38 AM »
Steve:

You've got me curious.  What % of people in Ireland can speak this Gaelic?  For how many is it their primary language?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:23:56 AM »
Hi Steve - Your book looks great. When it comes out in english, I will buy  1/2 a dozen for my grandchildren. I went to a goat dairy yesterday and they had several pet donkeys. I was surprised  at how friendly they were. They followed me around looking for attention or maybe they were looking for treats. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. The book has been chosen for inclusion on the Irish Literary Exchange Catalog which is as you may have already have guessed means that it is being promoted for translation by other publishers. They contact my publisher and buy the rights and print it their home language. Hopefully a english speaking publisher will want to use it.

The book was actually written in english. It was translated into Irish for printing as the publisher only prints in Irish. 

Dick,
The amount of people who speak english here in Ireland varies to who you ask. For the people who are fluent, the percentage varies from 10-20%.
There are areas in Ireland called Gaeltachts. In these areas Irish would be spoken in the home, at the shop...basically everywhere within the Gaeltacht. Here the percentage is more along the lines of 90-95% I would think. People here will be more comfortable with speaking Irish but will know english as well. There was a revival in the Irish language here in Ireland back in the 1960s (?). There was a time in Irelands past where speaking Irish was actually against the law.
Irish is taught in the schools and every child in order to graduate high school must pass a Irish language exam. Sometimes that makes people not want to learn Irish as it is forced on them. That said most people on the street will have a little Irish even in areas where it won't be usually spoken.
In the gaeltachts it is a source of pride. I live in a gaeltacht and my neighbor learned English in England when he moved there for work when he was in his twenties.

Herb,
I have four donkeys (for my sins  ;)) Thats not true, donkeys are great. Years ago you couldn't give them away, no one wanted them. Now, they are fetching a good price as they are being kept as pets. They keep the grass short etc. They are very curious animals and will follow you around if they not busy grazing. They will also 'beg' for treats. They love apples and carrots.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
My mother's Welsh and has told me that in days of yore, speaking Welsh was also a crime, and the Welsh have also had a revival of their native language.  We travelled through North Wales about two years ago and I was fascinated to hear Welsh spoken everywhere. 

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
I have some Scottish ancestry.  When we visited Scotland a few years ago, most everyone spoke English - very little Scottish (Scots Gaelic) was heard.

On one ferry ride to Isle of Skye, I recall, the ferry crew made announcements in both Scottish and English.

When we were there, they were in the process of building a massive bridge, which was about 3/4 finished.  They said the ferry would go out of service when the bridge was finished a few months hence.  Ah, the passing of an era, eh?   :(

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Hi Steve... just checked out your website and am very impressed with your art and illustrations. It seems almost obvious for an amputee artist to create a children's book on self image... who better. I hope that your book is picked up by a British publisher and printed in English.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:06 AM »
Thanks I hope so too!

snowbear

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »
I'm a teaching assistant in a second grade and the books look wonderful! will certainly capture the child's intrest! good luck your web site looks good too! Love it!