Author Topic: amputee olympic swimmer  (Read 2362 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
amputee olympic swimmer
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:08:46 PM »
here is a link to an MSNBC article of interest about an Olympic swimmer who is an an above knee amputee. herb

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=238014.html?GT1=39003

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: amputee olympic swimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »
Good article Herb.    ;)ann

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:55:09 AM »
Thanks for that article.  The leg she has on looks unusual, doesn't it?  Is it waterproof...looks the colour of ductape.  Also the article mentions a wooden leg...?  Probably not, eh?   ???

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
Miff, yes the one she uses around the pool is made of wood, so that if it gets wet, it can be dryed out with out costing a fortune in repairs. and yes it does look like duct tape only it is molded rubber on the leg. and she did a very good showing on just how far us amp's have come, if i remember she finished up in 16 place.

I hope that she can do better in the paraolymics.
you-all have a great day.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
Gee, I hope nobody tells the IOC that she might have an advantage because she has less drag in the water. I hear the researchers that investigated the Pistorious advantage are looking for something to do.

Way to go Natalie!

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:10:03 AM »
Sorry, on the wood thing again...wood and water don't strike me as a good combo: wood swells, gets damp rot with too much moisture.  I know, I wore wood for about 40 years...although I didn't get damp rot...haha!  Maybe that rubber cover keeps it dry enough...hmm.   ???

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »
Hi Myffanwy - I really doubt that her leg is made of wood, although she is from South Africa and they may still use them there. I saw an interview of her on line where she was asked why she did not wear her leg when she swims and she said she did not want her leg to rust. For years people have asked me about my wooden leg although I have never had a leg with any wood in it. I have seen a few wooden legs over the years and they did not look anything like hers. I sent her an email with questions about her prosthesis, so maybe I will find out for sure. Herb

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Oh, good for you, herb!  I hope she answers and I'm really interested to see what she has to say! 

Yeah, I wore wood, as I say, for 40-some years, and they were absolutely beautiful sockets, I had few if any problems with them.  But I'm Canadian and used to travel to the US to see my favourite CPO and the guys in the shop there used to say wood was probably better for me...since it's "so cold up in Canada"!  A lot of folks below the 49th still think we live in igloos....haha!!! 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 03:46:28 AM »
You mean you don't? ???

;D ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 03:55:29 AM »
Well, only part of the year.... :P  Ergo the wood: we can burn them to keep warm.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »
Hi Myffanwy - did you feel the earthquake that struck near Vancouver island? herb