Author Topic: Retards and Democrats  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Retards and Democrats
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 02:35:15 AM »
Frank:

Many of your points are well taken.

First, your comment on Medicare eroding from Donut Hole to Onion [ring] is probably right on.  Same fate for Social Security, as well.  On that we agree.  Don't know how old you are, but if younger than 50 +/-, then all bets are off for when you reach retirement age.  (Used to be 65, now nudged up to 67 or higher.)

Regarding political divisions, sadly you describe it rather accurately.  In the interest of winning elecrions at all costs, the parties have focused on discrediting the opposite party, using any means honorable or otherwise to do so.  Yes, sometimes downright lies.   This atmosphere of division is not something I have created, and I wish it were nit so.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:17 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not American.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »

lol... snap

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »

lol... snap

;)  Fi, please don't feel that way.  I live in the greatest country in the world.  If I didn't feel this way, I should move somewhere else.  Yes, we do have our faults, when it  comes to election time ~but most times,no-one ends up dead; like in alot of countries due to their beliefs.  God Bless America

:) Oneblueleg, these words are for you also.   ;)

snowbear

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »
GOD BLESS OUR USA... WE ARE A WONDERFUL NATION..PLEASE DON'T INSULT MY COUNTRY!

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 11:40:24 PM »
Like the family in which I grew up.
We make fun of ourselves, and to a point, you can do the same.
(Wouldya look at the ears on those kids!)

But if you cross the line, and only we know where that line lies, look out.  >:(

(Worked for me and my 4 older brothers for years.  The 5 of us would be over 30 foot tall, and weigh over
1000 pounds all together. Each of us has felt that way at any given time, "spirits" depending. :D)
Mess with one, you're messing with the batch.
Here's a little ditty of that pack of jamoches.
http://media.putfile.com/Haven-Bros
Part of a vid I put together for my folks 50th anniversary last year.
This section is Moms' favorite.  8)

Power and strength can be somewhat comforting ;)
I see our country becoming rapidly less comfortable in the future, and don't relish same.
We have no one to blame but ourselves.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:36:16 AM by guzzitx »

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:07 AM »
Twas a joke no offence meant, and I hope none taken. Everyone loves the country they are from, I get that.

For me as an outsider to America though it has been interesting to see how my perceptions of it have changed as I have grown up. I remember being little in the 80s, watching ET and Back to the Future, and all the great films that came out of America, and falling in love with it from afar. It helped that my entire family is Irish and as we all know the Irish love America. My dad spent 2 years in the 60s doing his masters at Ohio State University and loved it - still goes on to this day about how when he got back home he went into a restaurant and asked for some sour cream to eat with his dinner, the waitress came back with "the sourest cream she could find". His withdrawal from all the great American food he had fallen in love with while he was living there began on that day and never really ended. Still to this day he is looking for a pizza as good as the pizzas he used to get in the States. He made some great friends there and I think would have quite happily stayed there. I'm not really sure why he didn't.

Then in 2000 after I finished my degree I went to Japan for a year to teach English, and loads of my friends there were from the States. I think that was the first time I started to really learn about it, and about real life there, and I was surprised about what I found.

In Europe it is fairly standard to be given free university education, and to be given grants to live on if you really can't afford it otherwise. I remember being completely shocked when my American friends in Japan told me how much debt they were all in after finishing their degrees, and that they would have to get into even more debt after that by doing a post graduate degree, because that is just what everyone in the States does. Yes I had debt after finishing my education, but nothing on the same scale as my contemporaries from the richest country in the world.

In Europe people get upwards of 20 days holiday a year (in fact I get 28). That gives you time to travel, do fun stuff, and generally discover who you are outside of work. My friends in Japan had me completely and utterly appaled when they told me that Americans get 10 days a year. 10 days!! One of the things that my friends and I often joke about is that 61% of Americans don't even have passports. Before I lived in Japan and had American friends I didn't realise that even if you had a bloody passport it wouldn't make a difference because where can you get to with only 10 days holiday a year. Nowhere.

In Europe people get free health care. When I lost my leg I was given all the free physiotherapy I needed, a consultant who was at the top of her game to go and see whenever I needed to, and three free different types of prosthetic legs. Just about the only thing that the NHS wouldn't stretch to was a running leg when I asked for it and frankly I can understand why. I'm not going to be an athlete. Conversely, I read your stories of insurance, co-pay etc etc on this website, and I'm absolutely appalled at the care that you get given. My uncle spent most of his life in the States with his wife and his daughter. His wife was a doctor so I would presume she paid into a decent insurance scheme her whole life. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor which got worse and worse. They could have done an operation to cut it out, but her insurance apparently didn't cover it, so they sent her home to die. She did. That would never have happened in a million years in the UK. If you need the operation you get it.

I never realised any of this until I got chatting to my American friends in Japan, and the more I think about it I just can't believe that you lot actually live in the richest country in the world. If it's so rich, why doesn't it share its wealth with its people when they need it? That's what I don't get. At all. And it's why I'm glad I'm not American.

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:11 AM »
One more thing that I'm shocked about...

A good friend of mine here in Hong Kong is American. He earns no money in the States, and spends no time there yet he still has to pay American taxes on his earnings in HK.

So from what I can see, basically, Americans work their arses off, all their life, pay huge taxes even if they decide to leave the country, maybe manage to pay back their student debts by the time they retire, never get to go on holiday because they are so tired from all the working that all they want to do on their days off is sleep, get ill from all the working and no holidays, spend the rest of their days suing their insurance companies who won't pay to fix them, and then snuff it.

I think you are all lovely people, and your country has some truly beautiful scenery, but come on - you have to admit, your country has its faults like any other, doesn't it?

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 01:43:32 AM »
Fi,
I am fairly new here, and am really not looking for a grudge match.
I feel the American system is broken.
In my perfect world, I would have more of my money to spend, and I would buy top-notch coverage.
It seems that won't happen in my lifetime, so I muddle forth in the current system.
I am largely Libertarian in my beliefs, but when I  think about this:

Why does the USA have:
73,000 troops in Germany
41,000 troops in Korea
40,000 troops in Japan
12,000 troops in Italy
10,000 troops in UK ?
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/deploy.htm

I become deeply concerned.
Where does the money come from for your social medicine?
Where did the same money go for American social medicine?

That said, I was recently faced with a bill of $18.5K for my new leg.
My insurance, paid for (75%) by my employer(who is also my brother), approved $2500.
No complaint, it paid $175K for my infection, hospitalization, and amputation.
My part of the hosptilization was less than $1K. This was the coverage we picked out.
Reduced prosthetic coverage was a way to reduce premiums. Never even discussed with out agent.
I blame no one for this, but ourselves.

My prosthetist suggested DARS (Dept. of Adaptive and Rehabilitative Services), a state-run, federally funded organization, which provides assistance to people in need of adaptive aids to remain employed.
I was at work 2.5 weeks post amputation. I am no slacker. 8 months later, I still can only do perhaps 60% of my previous job. We also sell motorcycles. 1-legged motorcycle salesmen make customers run screaming out of the building, so I try to lay low when a potential buyer is present.

Jump through hoops, present financials, blah, blah, and the state agreed to fund the difference.
If I made another $64/week, I would have been out of luck.
I don't make a lot of money, by any stretch of the imagination.
Otherwise, I was looking at a leg loan.
I live a frugal life, have very good credit, but I cringe to think at the payments on what would effectively be a personal loan for $16K. If I had to, I would have done it.

I count myself lucky.
I am not ready to accept liberal "hope for change"(breeding ground for sloth and corruption), I gave up on the old-time  conservative values(they are no longer conservative, with record deficits.)

The old hand out vs. hand up. All I see is hands out. On both sides of the aisle.

Call me a hypocrite. It is not the job of my government to buy me a leg. Absolutely not.
Were I not helping to keep 359K troops around the world, abd akk the other things the govt' as no authority doing, I might just have enough coin in my pocket to
make the call at work to go for higher coverage.
That would be my ideal solution.
With a large social safety net. Privately funded.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 02:09:28 AM »
Well said, Fi - -and well said you others.

If we're honest with ourselves, most all of us would say we love our country, and are loyal to it.  After all, it's Home.  And yet each of us must admit there are some things about our own country that could be improved.  Of course, the list varies from place to place.  And Guzzitx just explained one of my frustrations, the cockamamy healthcare system in the US.

As for so many Americans without passports, it must be puzzling to Europeans.  Also, the number of Americans who speak only one language fluently.  One explanation,  In Europe, countries are smaller and close together.  Drive an hour or two and you can be in another country - another language.  To travel almost anywhere, one needs a passport.  This was especially true before the EU was established, not so many years ago.

Some years ago, before the EU, we toured the Scandivanian countries, traveling by way of London.  That was 4 new countries, 4 languages, and 4 currencies!  Our tour guide spoke 6 languages, our coach driver another 6 languages.  They had to for their work.  How many Americans speak 6 languages fluently?  Not many.

Compare that to the US where you can travel coast to coast, 3000+ miles, same language, same currency, no borders.  Until recently, we could travel to Canada or Mexico without passport - the only two countries in land-contact with the US.  Different currencies, yes.  But, in Canada, the same language mostly.

So, I can respect and appreciate each country I've visited - even envy them for some things they have.  But, I'm happy to come home again, too.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:08 AM »
"As for so many Americans without passports, it must be puzzling to Europeans.  Also, the number of Americans who speak only one language fluently.  One explanation,  In Europe, countries are smaller and close together.  Drive an hour or two and you can be in another country - another language. "

Meet the Brits Dick - I am shocked to say that having been brought up in England, that close to lots of countries where people speak loads of different languages I have never learned another language properly. And that's the way that most people are in the UK. The attitude there (and I am ashamed to say largely my attitude until I got old enough to start regretting not having done it) is that wherever you go people speak English so where's the need to speak a different language. And so even most British people (including me) who are only an hour or so from countries where people speak different languages, can't speak anything but English.

And I get the not needing to go to different countries thing you have in the States. When you've got it all there on your doorstep why go somewhere different. You really do have it all - beaches, forests, jungles, mountains, skiing, walking, great cities, you name it. I honestly can't even comprehend what it must be like to live in a country that big. I was even chatting to one of my American friends about it the other evening. He's from Texas and was talking about Vegas. When I asked how long it would take to get there he said it would be something like a 4 hour flight. That's just crazy to me - like flying from England to Africa except still being in the same country. I think I might almost feel trapped. In some time warp or something. I said that to him and he said that on the contrary it made him feel incredibly free. Conversely his wife who is Czech said that when she's visiting his family with him in Texas and they do the long long drives through fields and fields that she actually feels quite trapped. Interesting.

Anyway, that was an aside. Sorry for side tracking the debate.

Down with McCain up with Obama I say.

snowbear

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »
Up with McCain I say back!

snowbear

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
America is still a great country
we have Freedom of speech
The culture diversity
Food Labeling regulations
Grass roots activism
National parks
Better treatment of animals
Creative expression and Hollywood
free market
an abidance of heroism
Inventiveness

its about more than free health care.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
ONE big one that you missed and that is we can make fun or the president and not be arressted for it.

Up with Mccain and down with OBAMA, my main reason is that when he first started running he told everyone that he was going to ban all guns and if he trys it down here he is going to have one big fight on his hand, us TEXANS dont like being told that we cant have guns.

Fi, the reason most of us travel is to broaden our knowledge and see the world, sure most of us stay home, main reason is money, and am afriad that your texas freind has it wrong it only take about less than 3 hours to get to VEGAS(the gambling capital of the world), but why go to vegas when you can go to SHREVEPORT, LA. in about 1 1/2 and find the same thing, only smaller, have been to VEGAS many of times and dont really care for it, the reason we went 4 times a year was for bowling.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 08:38:42 AM »
PLJ Would that be freedom of speech? LOL!!