Author Topic: Retards and Democrats  (Read 8532 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Retards and Democrats
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 11:34:03 PM »
'Joe, am so glad you're up & at'm...you put a sparkle in me eye!  Give your daughter all the love we have felt for you.  Will pray she will be fine.

Now, do you realize you have stirred the Democrats up??  I take it you are not one of the 'Oboma Mama's ;D ;D  This weekend we shall see who else will be on that ticket.  Want to guess??

;) ann

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:38 AM »
All hail Joe A.!

Racist Extraordinaire
Creating waves a speciality

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 05:49:34 AM »
All hail Joe A.!

Racist Extraordinaire
Creating waves a speciality

charming.

~~~~~~~~

If I lived in the states I would definitely lean towards the democrats. Or really, anything but republicans. I would tend to not want to vote for anyone who would actually want to be president.
My belief is that the war in Iraq is nothing but a search for oil which in my mind makes it illegal. Men, women and children dying to keep people driving in their cars. Isn't what is happening in Iraq, very close to what happened in the Kuwaiti war but America is now playing the role of the Iraqi?
I was born and raised in America and I served in the military as well. I would say that my overall image of America has changed some since moving abroad. Its gone a bit tarnished.
We would get news that may not be shown in America. The positive spin that may accompany the news shown in the states is gone. I weed through the America bashing and the flag waving and pick out what I believe is the truth. They say the truth hurts. It does. I want America to be the good guy, and right now I don't think it is.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »
Steve, i agree with you on the IRAG WAR, but there is a saying and talk going on down here in TEXAS that all he was doing is finishing up what his father failed to do in the first place, when i first come or moved to TEXAS, you didnt dare say anything bad about him, well quess what things have sure changed down here, and he is getting bad mouithed all the time now. They have found out that thier favorite son is not as good as they thought.

HEY JOE, WHERE ARE YOU AT, sleeping i hope and getting better, and agian am sure GLAD to see you back
you-all have a great day.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »
Steve,
I amazes me how the "blood for oil" theory perpetuates. If you want an example of how far it is from reality, look at this major story from the US a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080502493.html
Our Government Accountability Office (GAO), which is about as friendly to the whitehouse as a rattlesnake, reported a large Iraqi surplus from oil production. It turns out that Iraq has been stuffing most of the oil money into the bank and the US is paying for the reconstruction costs. So not only did we not grab the oil, we're sending boatloads of cash over there. To equate this situation with Saddam invading Kuwait is beyond my comprehension.
I can only imagine what gets presented as news.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
Hi Steve - the abysmal performance of our current government is turning lots of republicans into democrats. Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »
Hey guys,  am I the only republician on here?  I really am fed up with more taxes added every time we go democratic.  Oh, oh.  Now I am in Big Trouble, huh.    ;)  ann

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
Ann:

If we need more taxes - and that's a big IF - it may be because the Republicans have plunged us so far in debt - and cur off so many human service programs in order to (1) fund the ill-fated War that WE started, and (2) to fund windfall tax give-aways for the richest 1%.

Steve:

You say it so well.  As you say, hearing the news anywhere but inside the US gives a different perspective.  We like to think we have free unfettered news, but remember that every broadcast station in the US is licensed (controlled) by the FCC a department in the Executive Branch of the Federal Govt.

Since you have lived on both sides of "The Pond", you know the diferent perspectives.  I've only visited the other side, and even I can see the differnces.

Hate to say it, folks, but Jan 20 can't come soon enough.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »
Ann:

If we need more taxes - and that's a big IF - it may be because the Republicans have plunged us so far in debt - and cur off so many human service programs in order to (1) fund the ill-fated War that WE started, and (2) to fund windfall tax give-aways for the richest 1%.

Steve:

You say it so well.  As you say, hearing the news anywhere but inside the US gives a different perspective.  We like to think we have free unfettered news, but remember that every broadcast station in the US is licensed (controlled) by the FCC a department in the Executive Branch of the Federal Govt.

Since you have lived on both sides of "The Pond", you know the diferent perspectives.  I've only visited the other side, and even I can see the differnces.

Hate to say it, folks, but Jan 20 can't come soon enough.

'Dick'  I agree with some of what you have said;  {BUT} it will not be the rich that extra taxes will affect..it will be the hard working middle class.. :(.  I don't care what they tell you.  What really makes me fume is the fact these programs are going to be for the poor who have never worked a day in their lives & are not planning to start now.  They like to be able to stay home; not punch a time-clock.  They wouldn't work if they had a good job.  Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not condeming the people who lost their jobs due to the poor economy. I am all for helping the poor. 

I also can't wait for the election to be over...I am sick & tired of all the bickering.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
Dick,
If you have just one good example of the FCC controlling the news content of American media, I'd love to hear it (George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV don't count). By the way if people think that the whitehouse can dictate to the vast Washington bureaucracy, they don't understand how civil service works.
There is one good example of the media being compromised. After the fall of Saddam's regime, CNN admitted that in order to keep the Baghdad bureau open they accepted censorship by Saddam's regime. I still consider the briefings by Saddam's minister of information as some of the best wartime humor ever. At that time there were people around the world giving the same credibility to Al Jazeera broadcasts as they did the BBC or American news sources. Amazing how people are willing to give up objectivity and cling to ideology or suspicion.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »
Frank:

You say,"By the way if people think that the whitehouse can dictate to the vast Washington bureaucracy, they don't understand how civil service works."

Let's say "how Civil Service USED to work".  Remember it was the illustrious George W Bush who abolished several (11, as I recall) federal agencies that DID have Civil Service employees, and rolled them all into ONE, the Dept of Homeland Security, that does NOT.  Ultimately, every DHS employee serves at the pleasure of the President - and can be fired at his command.  At the time, he insisted on this power in order to protect us from - you guessed it - Terrorsts infiltrating our govt.

Add it all up: Homeland Security, Patriot Act, Warrant-less searches and wire-taps,  Whitehouse deciding that IT alone will define what IS or is NOT torture, and on and on.....  I'd say that the current Whitehouse has amassed a LOT of power unto itself.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 02:25:54 AM »
Ann:

I can appreciate your not wanting willful freeloaders getting all the benefits.  Alot of that was resolved years ago (pre Bush) with the Welfare Reforms - not prefect, but much improved.

But the programs Bush is cutting out are hitting ALL of us - not just the free-loaders.  I have worked all my life - finally just retired at age 70 - and have contributed mightily over the years to taxes.  BUT, my Medicare (for which I'm still paying premiums) prescription coverage is zero, because I hit the infamous annual "Donut hole" limit.  From now thru December 31, I pay 100% of prescription costs.

I hope you don't think that every Medicare recipient is a free-loader.   I hope you don't think that every student who can't get a student loan is a lazy free-loader.  I hope you don't thinl that every amputee who can't get decent prosthitic coverage is a lazy free-loader.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »
Ann:

I can appreciate your not wanting willful freeloaders getting all the benefits.  Alot of that was resolved years ago (pre Bush) with the Welfare Reforms - not prefect, but much improved.

But the programs Bush is cutting out are hitting ALL of us - not just the free-loaders.  I have worked all my life - finally just retired at age 70 - and have contributed mightily over the years to taxes.  BUT, my Medicare (for which I'm still paying premiums) prescription coverage is zero, because I hit the infamous annual "Donut hole" limit.  From now thru December 31, I pay 100% of prescription costs.

I hope you don't think that every Medicare recipient is a free-loader.   I hope you don't think that every student who can't get a student loan is a lazy free-loader.  I hope you don't thinl that every amputee who can't get decent prosthitic coverage is a lazy free-loader.

Dick, I also appreciate the fact you are in the "donut hole" limit.  I too will hit it {again this year} around October.  You know I was not talking about any of the above stated recipients.

You now have your vice-president {Joe Biden} ;) ann

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
"Dick, I also appreciate the fact you are in the "donut hole" limit.  I too will hit it {again this year} around October.  You know I was not talking about any of the above stated recipients."

Yes, Ann, I'm sure we're on the same wavelength, fellow-donut-holer.

Yet, some will justify cutting human service programs, citing the "free-loader" arguement - even when the vast majority of those losing benefits are NOT free-loaders.

I would even submit that the Special Interests (Big Pharma, for one) who reap huge benefits from government actions, are the true Free-Loaders.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
Dick,
This isn't a personal criticism but I will use some of the points you made to make an observation. Over the last couple of administrations much of America (and perhaps the world) seems to have lost the ability to objectively discuss current events. It seems like for 8 years we had the "hate Clinton" crowd that assigned all blame regardless whether it was true or even within the jurisdiction of the president. For the last 8 years we've had the "hate Bush" contingent for whom "failed Bush policies" is almost a religious chant that requires no basis. For those of us that are not part of either group this has been very frustrating. Most of the current events are complex and need fairly thorough evaluation. The shouting matches have precluded this.
You made the point that every broadcast station is controlled by the Executive Branch through the FCC. If that were true, that would be the news story of the century. While there are some top level appointees in the FCC, the rest of the organization are career employees. If the whitehouse tried to push through control of the broadcast stations both the FCC employees and the stations themselves would out that story in a heartbeat. The whitehouse does not control American news rooms. And yet claims like that still are accepted without a thought. The worst part of the newsrooms in America is that they've become so addicted to the juicy soundbite that they don't challenge the govt. official or the activist to back-up what they said.

Similarly on the dept. of homeland security. After 9/11 both the current and the previous administrations were criticized endlessly for the inability of the intelligence communities and the security organizations to work together. The result was the reorganization and Patriot act. While the Whitehouse lobbied heavily for the content, the Patriot act was written, passed, modified, and renewed by congress. In the last couple of years it isn't even controlled by the same party. And yet the "hate Bush" group acts as if it was a royal edict and are unwilling to analyze it and say these parts are good, these parts neutral and these parts we have problems with. And yes, Medicare rules do not come from royal edicts from Bush, congress writes the laws, writes the budgets, Bush can only lobby and threaten vetoes, but the details are negotiated in congress. By the way I expect that by the time I will be using medicare it will look like an onion ring rather than a donut, with lots more hole than anything else.

Sorry for venting but I've gotten to where I use a litmus test of sort. If someone uses some form of "failed Bush (or Clinton) policies" I assume they are one of the two groups.