Author Topic: another question for everyone  (Read 7860 times)

snowbear

Re: another question for everyone
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
I have pain 24/7..Allot of phantom pain and real pain. I have pain with the leg on and off. MY prosthetrist calls my type of pain telescope phantom pain. I had much pain before my amputation all my life since I was  infant. So it will not go away. My brain is so conditioned to pain. It thinks the dam leg is still there! LOL!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
Snowbear, i really know just where you are coming from, i too have 24/7 pain in both stumps, and as i sit here right now i have a tinkling sensation going to both of my feet that are not there, here is what i do to make it lessen up for me.

1. walking usually make it go away for awhile, until i set down
2. acupuncture treatment has helped a lot, and need to go see him again for a tune up
3. i use a cream called HORESMENS DREAM, on both stumps at night and then put a shrinker sock on, that does help to some extent.
4. laser treatment has helped also, and i have a small laser flashlight that i keep on the night stand and run the UV red led over the nerve ends and around my knee, it also slows the pain down so that i can get some sleep

It seems that the pain is the greatest on my right stump for that is the one i had the most pain in before i had to have it amputated and didnot us the spinal block like i did for my left one.

The HORSEMEN'S DREAM, is for livestock and we get it at a tack shop, the people down here us it for relieve of athorightis pain.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
PLJ I'm like you too. If I sit down it gets better the minute I start it starts up again. I can't take much pressuer on it like standing in line for along time. or even 10 minutes.  I could never do this with my real leg either. As a teen I could not even walk through a mall or a store. So I don't expect to now..BUT my pain is 100% worse since the amputation. I have more zings, zaps. stabs, and burning that I never had before.  BUT the amputation did safe my life.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
I have heard that the more pain you have before amputation, the more  phantom pain you have after amputation.  My pain is worse after I take my leg off to go to bed.  Thats why I wear a tight sock @ night.  I am going to have to buy new ones;  these are almost unwearable...maybe something like frabric-lok{not sure of name}...but yo get what I mean.

snowbear

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
I can't stand the shrinker's! They are to tight and make more pain for me anyway. And yes Ann the more pain before amputation the more after And I was not told this going into it at all.. I had my first operation at 8 months old and many more until it got so infected I had to loose it. I'm so mad the Dr. said and I quote..."I will save your life and give you a life, you will have no phantom pain the way I do it, and your pain will be no more" THEN he looks at my husband of 8 years then and said....Will you leave her when I take her leg off?" :o :o :o UGH!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »
'snowbear' why should amputation have anything to do with your hubby leaving you?  The doctor is an idiot!!!

snowbear

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
That's just Ann, my husband meant me with a pretty bad leg and a brace and very deformed. So why would he leave over a amputation? The Dr claimed he had ti ask legally?! We were both in shock over that. :o Idiot is to nice of a term..The thing is we did not have time for a second opinion and we were new the the area did not know a single soul. He sure miss led me big time. I learned so much in the last 5 years about amputation.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
I sure dont remembering them asking my wife that when they took my legs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »
 "Snowbear & PLJ"  in fact I really don't remember too much about them talking about amputation...I knew it, but it didn't bother me as I was on alot of dope.  Hubby was making decisions at that point of time; and my God it almost killed him to have to decide...he more or less let the doctor lead him through it.  It was either that or my life.  Not a great place to be put in is it?

I had just gone through an aorta bypass,  leg surgery {to try to open vein} that didn't work...then the amputation in a matter of two weeks.  I don't like to remember that time in my life  :(

snowbear

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
It really did not effect me as I knew some day it was a possibility of loosing it. And many times it was suggested by Dr's. In the end I had no choice. Its just another chapter in my book.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »
I have pain 24/7..Allot of phantom pain and real pain. I have pain with the leg on and off. MY prosthetrist calls my type of pain telescope phantom pain. I had much pain before my amputation all my life since I was  infant. So it will not go away. My brain is so conditioned to pain. It thinks the dam leg is still there! LOL!

I've seen a few people who get constant nerve pain... The only thing that i have truly seen work is a Spinal Cord Stimulator, it's like a TENS machine that's wired into your spine.

www.britishpainsociety.org/book_scs_patient.pdf

snowbear

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »
OH ;D No thanks I have been offered this many times so not want my spine messed with. :) I don't think so. I do have a TENS unit. A transmitt4d Nerve  stimulator. I put on my stump..It really dose no good. I'm a turf cookie and can deal with alllot of pain. I have since I was a child.