Author Topic: Waterparks and a prosthesis  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Waterparks and a prosthesis
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »
Has anyone ever gone to a waterpark and used the waterslides with their prosthesis?

I recently won a raffle for 4 passes to a very large park and I would really like to go.  I called the waterpark and they said that "it is a case by case basis which is determined upon arrival by the management who would visual inspect my lower leg prosthesis."  The manager was very respectful and truly wants to help me use as much of the waterpark that I can.  I was told that I can probably use the majority of the waterpark but that my prosthesis may not be appropriate for the entire waterpark.  I have no problem with being denied access to some of their waterslides.  I understand that my uncovered prosthesis might damage their waterslides.  I would be happy with utilizing the lazy river ride. 

I was just curious as to whether anyone has been to a waterpark and if you had any restrictions imposed.

Also, I have never gotten my prosthesis wet... how do you dry the sock that is between the carbon fiber foot and the foot shell?

Thanks!!
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline frank

• View Profile
Re: Waterparks and a prosthesis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »
Mitchee,
If you use a neoprene sleeve to help keep your leg on, then a good part of the hard socket is covered. If you look through either the sport section of Wal-mart or a sporting goods store will have a bunch of neoprene sleeves, booties, braces, even covers for beverage bottles that you could use to cover the rest of the hardware.

Keeping the foot dry will be a challenge. If the foot shell comes off easily and the foot is otherwise water tolerant then it will be a little squishy until you get home and can dry it. If you can't get the shell off easily (one of my feet is like that) getting it wet may not be a great idea. When I go to the beach, I switch out my foot for a very basic SACH type foot that is reasonably well sealed and is cheap. Your prosthetist may have a used one that they may give you. You can also find them on Ebay all the time.

Sounds like fun. I can't see why, with a little creativity you couldn't do every slide and ride in the park

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
Thanks for the neoprene suggestion!   ;D  I will definitely go and buy a couple of sleeves to cover my prosthesis.  That should allow me to use the majority (if not all) of the waterpark. 

Thanks again for the great suggestion.   :)

-Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:03:54 PM »
Have fun!! let us know how it is!

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »
So did you go? How was it?? Hope you had fun or will have fun. :)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »
Hi Snowbear.  I  haven't gone yet.  We are hoping to go before the end of August.  We want to go before they close the outdoor portion of the waterpark.  The waterpark is very large and has both an outdoor and an indoor waterpark. 

I'll let you know how it goes.    :)

-Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
Great! I will be anxious to hear how you did..have fun! :)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
Hey Mitchee....
Have u been 2 the waterpark yet?
I often recommend Xerosox covers (available in the UK from Mobalis healthcare); these things are cheap and durable and work pretty well (make sure u get the 'Full Leg' version for BK use; consult a prosthetist for AK use as the socket may not be watertight!)

For the sock between the foot spring and foot shell, you have 2 remove the Foot Shell with a special tool (a metal shoe horn with a 45 degree bend in it); then take the sock off.
       MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LEAVE A WET SOCK IN THE FOOT AS IT CAN CORRODE PARTS IN (CARBON FIBRE FEET OFTEN HAVE METAL PARTS IN THEM).

Also, Getting the prosthesis wet will (in most cases) void the warrenty!!! especially parts from Otto Bock

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »
Hi CC,

Thanks for the info.  I haven't been to the waterpark yet.  The outdoor portion of the waterpark is now closed but the indoor portion is open year 'round.  I decided to give the passes to my family.  I will go and watch my cousin and her friends.  They will get more use out of the waterpark than I would. 

Michelle

-Lao Tzu