Author Topic: Stubbie feet ???  (Read 10269 times)

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
Re: Stubbie feet ???
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Kep - There is a gentleman in my local support group who is a bilat AKA.  He has stubbie peglegs.  I have only seen them once so my recollection may be a bit hazy.  It sticks in my mind that he has a pair of wood legs that appear to be about 3-4 inches in diameter (no metal pylons).  The bottom appeared to be rubber or leather but there was no "foot" on either one.  Very much a low tech system (at least from what I could see) but he got around very well.  I saw them at a BBQ we had in the woods on a lake.  He walked quite easily through the woods and went sailing without any problems that I am aware of.  If you would like, I can try and contact him and see what he says.  I won't make any promises but might be worth a try. 

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »
Cameron Clapp, a 20+ year old thriple amp from CA, made a video presentation at our local group.  He bcame an DAK amp as a teenager (about 16 or so).  He used stubbies to learn to walk, but then moved on to full-length prosdtheses.  He credits the stubbies with speeding up his learning process.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:38 AM »
Think I may have mentioned before that as a bilateral b/k amp, in the early 1970's, the stubbies system or Pylons as they were then known, were what I started walking in.  This type of limb, I think, was quite a usual 'starting point' in those days, and I was using them three months post amp, and about 8 wks after skin grafting on one stump.  I am b/k and mine were normal length, but I did meet an a/k gentleman whose pylons were quite short, I have a hazy memory of being told this was because it was less strain on the heart of older people, but as I say memory a bit hazy.  The 'feet' on my pylons consisted of black painted wooden rockers with a thick rubber sole, which looked back to front, which were almost impossible to balance on without using crutches, and mine only bent when sitting down by pulling a lever, so you walked with stiff legs, so for me these would have been the main reasons for not wanting to wear them permamently as a regular prosthesis.  However, they were very successful and I returned full time back to school on these about a month after getting them.  The stumps were always kept bandaged, and the socket was made of felt all supported by a metal frame and thigh corset, but had lots of belts and buckles.  Clothes were a bit of a problem and I had to get trousers etc. made for me.  

However, these pylons got me mobile very quickly and were relatively kind on the stumps, I think I wore them for about 9 months, used to walk fair bit on them, all day everyday.  A few years back when I couldn't get a limb made that I could wear, I asked if they would make me one of these and they said they couldn't, but I do now know there are prosthetic centres in the UK who do still make these, not quite the same as mine were, but very similar.

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »

Thanks to all for the replies.

tbrbeast......   From your description, that setup still isn't what I'm looking for. I'm still seaching.

Dick......  Cameron's setup is what I'm after.  He's a busy fella and hard to get in touch with.

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »
LBK since April 2004

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

Thanks Neal....  That's pretty much what I have just learned from others.