Author Topic: Stubbie feet ???  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Kep

• View Profile
Stubbie feet ???
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »

After attending the ACA conference, I am wanting to change my prosthetic set up to what I saw many others wearing.   My leg guy says he can't come up with the platform type feet that others had.  I even sent him a picture.

Does anyone know of a supplier for the platforms that serve as a "foot" for stubbies?

Thanks.

Offline dozerdude

• View Profile
Re: Stubbie feet ???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »
Hi Kep

I'm not sure what you mean by platform foot.

http://www.niagarafoot.com/index.html

Above is a link to a foot that my leg guy invented. (the guy is a genius, really) Maybe this is what you are looking for.?.

Bob

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »

Thanks Bob, but what I'm looking for actually isn't a foot at all.  It looks like a 4x6 inch piece of 3/4 inch plywood with some tread on the bottom.  I'm sure that it probably isn't plywood, but most likely some sort of composite material.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »
Are you meaning a Foot Plate for a Partial Foot / Symes Amputation???

If you are, Ossur (http://www.ossur.com/prosthetics/feet/chopart) and Otto Bock sell them.

An orthotist may also be able to make a functional device

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

Another term for the device is a "rocker bottom".

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »
Here's a fact sheet on the "Foreshortened Prostheses" (Stubbies) on the ACA website. It shows a photo of the stubbies with the 'rocker' foot on the bottom. Hopefully this helps.
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/fact_sheets/stubbies.html
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
I actually asked a few guys at the ACA conference a few years back where stubbies come from.  They said it was pretty much a home-made thing their CP would cobble together.

The closes thing I've seen that's production is the Ferrier terra-round foot, but a double amp told me it's very hard to balance on a pair of those.  Also Ferrier stuff is expensive (in my opinion).
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
Just read the link PYourke.... I've never seen anything like this in the UK.
I've never seen it, read it in a text book, learned about it at uni, or heard anyone speak about them until now.

I don't know if this helps, but Otto Bock (amongst other companies) make a wooden foot... you could shape the wood foot to the shape you want (a prosthetist should have the tools to shape it) then put it on the end of the prosthesis.

Back in the day there used to be a Convntional prosthesis called a Rocker Bottom Pylon; which has a rocker sole on the end of a metal frame (similar to a PAAM aid); i wouldn't know if anyone would be able to make these anymore (Hangers used to do alot of metalwork back in the day; so they may have the tools to make one). I'll have an ask around though

Another idea that may work is to have a flat soleplate and then get the shoes adapted to have a Rocker Sole (an Orthotist should be able to do this for you)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »
To all, i need some clarification on this, is it a socket with a platfrom on the bottom of the socket, it so that would be easy to make if you have a spare set of sockets,  i have an old pair of sockets, and from what i can see is to take the screws out of the locking mechanism and cut a piece of plywood or similar material and drill holes and counter sink the screws that are long enough to reattach the locking unit and then glue or staple a rubber pad on to the piece of wood and try that, have to similar idea on the list of thing that i want to do, i do believe it will let me get back to water skying again, by make a attachment to lock my short leg on to the ski.
you-all have a great day.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
Ah i see...

I was thinking that it was like a BK prosthesis with an AK socket on it. Do they build the socket down so it's a few inces longer than the stump?

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »

Hopefully, I've put a pic here showing a better shot of the stubbies and the "feet" that are attached.  The old school way was to attach a small sach foot backwards to the short pylon.  I'm old school in alot of ways, but don't want that setup.  That is what my leg guy did and says he can't come up with the "feet" that are shown in the pic. They have to be out there somewhere.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »

Hopefully, I've put a pic here showing a better shot of the stubbies and the "feet" that are attached.  The old school way was to attach a small sach foot backwards to the short pylon.  I'm old school in alot of ways, but don't want that setup.  That is what my leg guy did and says he can't come up with the "feet" that are shown in the pic. They have to be out there somewhere.

'Kep' isn't there a way you can get in touch w/ Stella or Manuel and let them inform you where they obtained their feet?  I would think your prosthesist could find out for you if above plan didn't work.

Another question...may I ask why you want these in preference to regular a prosthesis?    :) ann

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »
Those feet shown in picture are nothing more than a piece of metal with a rubber pad on the bottom and a short pylon which connects to the socket,

Any good machine shop can do that for you, and the piece that holds the pylon need to be welding to the plate, she looks like she has a bout a 4x4 piece of 1/4 in stainless steel and his looks like about 1/4 x 4 x 6 stainless steel  plates with a real short pylon.

I do see that both are AKA,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »

Ann....  Actually Stella is my regional representative from the ACA.  I've emailed her twice without a reply so far.  Not sure how to contact Manuel.

I became a bilat aka in 2006 after my last two amps.  At last years ACA conference, I quizzed and talked with some of the folks with stubbies.  When I finally was healed from my surgeries, I asked my legist to make me a set.  What I got was sockets, approx 15 inch pylons, and flex feet.  After about 3 months of PT without much progress in learning how to stand and balance, much less walk, I wanted to get closer to the ground.  Then after this year's conference, I made the request explaining what I wanted, or so I thought.  Never thought I'd have this much trouble.

pegleg...  yes, stubbies are for aka's.  I have thought of the machine shop idea, but wanted that to be a last resort.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »

"Kep"   thanks for answering my question.   :)   sometimes I have a hard enough time balancing & I am a BKA.  Does she have an available phone # where she can be reached...or maybe the ACA can contact her for you.  I know you want to be out of your chair.   ;) ann