Author Topic: Allergic reaction to prosthetic material  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
Allergic reaction to prosthetic material
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
Okay, I've mentioned before what I'm going through this summer, on this forum and elsewhere, but just briefly: I went in to the CPO's to discuss getting a safer knee about 3 mos ago.  We both agreed that I was up out of the socket too much and losing stump control.  So he sanded out the socket and painted/sealed the inside with a resin that I strongly reacted to, so much so that my stump turned bright red, like a bad sunburn, and there was swelling.  This happened twice with the first guy, same resin twice.

So now I'm having a complete new leg made by another fellow, comes really highly recommended, but he's been patching the inside to tighten up the socket for me, and this past week, same scenario: wore it once and my stump reacted again: hot, swollen and bright red.  So I'm not wearing my leg, again, and treating the situation with Benadryl for the allergic skin reaction, as well as some holistic remedies and Chinese medicine and acupuncture to control the inflammation and to build up my immunity.

Sorry, but the question is:  this new-to-me CPO, who's been at this for 50 yrs., says he's never seen anything like this before me.  Now I've come across one other amp who says he reacts to the resins they use for patching inside.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Reacting to the materials the CPO uses, like the plastics, the resins?

I can't believe there's only two of us!!  I can't believe I'm that special...lol!   ???

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Allergic reaction to prosthetic material
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
Hi Myffanwy - several of the products that my prosthetist uses cause me extreme skin problems. The only reason that I wear a liner is that my skin can not tolerate even the smallest contact with the plastic in my liner. I have talked to other amps who have similar reactions to yours. Herb

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »
My previous prosthetist had a patient who could only wear wooden sockets.   Her skin could not tolerate any plastics or resins.  You're not the only one, Myff!

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
Myff, it sure can and does react differant, some poeple it doesnt bother them, before he uses any thing on you check out the incrediance that are used in the resin, you just may find out which one you are reacting to or better yet have your doctor run a reaction test on you to find out which one is causing this to happen, and it may be a compination of the mixed resion that is doing it, this has happen to me on my hands in my model makig i have to watch just which ones i use or my hand will break out real bad,
you-all have a great day.

Offline Cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
[quote author=Myffanwy link=topic=180.msg1849#msg1849 date=1217193863
I can't believe there's only two of us!!  I can't believe I'm that special...lol!   ???
[/

Hi Myffanwy,

Met a guy at the ACA whose wife cannot wear a leg because she's allergic to EVERYTHING (silicone, rubber, resin, etc..)
So, while I still believe you are special, you're not alone!   :)
Monterey, CA
Rt. AKA, 1993
Osteogenic Sarcoma
C-leg
NPS Vacuum Socket

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »
i've met people who are allergic to prosthetic materials; everything from plastic to the dye in leather! GRP resins are particularly nasty though.

Best way to check if its something in the socket is to put something that you know you're not allergic to in beween yourself and the socket (if i remember  rightly though, you wear a suction skt dont you Myff? so thats not really possible).
I must admit though, i've never sanded out the inside of a socket as i would think it may weaken it structurally! nor have i painted the inside with a resin! I've lined sockets with leather to reduce the socket volume, but there is no quick fix if your stump has got too big for a socket; just hope your prosthetist gets his/her skates on!

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »
Hi Myffanwy

Yes I know someone else over here in the UK with very similar problem, she went for allergy testing to find out just what it was in the leg she was allergic to, she did get it sorted out in the end although I think it was something to do with adhesive.  Can't check with her at moment but will as soon as I can contact her.