Author Topic: Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?  (Read 16203 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?  I'm sure that we've probably all discovered something on our own.  Maybe those discoveries will make someone else's life easier.  I know that what works for one person may not work or be appropriate for another person.  I am hoping that our suggestions will provide another approach to dealing with the issues that amputees face.

Today's discovery...
I am a BK and I use a locking liner/pin system.  I have been having problems with the heat and excessive sweating in my liner which then leads to pistoning.  I've tried wearing a thin sock underneath my liner and I've also tried using antiperspirants on my residual limb.  They both irritated my skin and didn't produce the outcome that I had hoped for.  I went back to my old routine of taking a break from any outdoor activity about every half an hour and drying off my residual limb and liner.  Today, I decided to use a few layers of pre-wrap under my liner.  I have a spot on the end of my Tibia that gets irritated and I thought the sponge type pre-wrap material might provide some relief.  The pre-wrap worked great.  It provided just enough cushioning on the end of my Tibia without bunching up and causing any other problems under my liner.  It also seemed to help with the pistoning that I get when my liner becomes wet from sweat.  I was able to work for 3 hours and move 2 tons of decorative stone before I had to stop to dry off my residual limb.  When I finally took a break, I dried off my residual limb and liner and I also changed the pre-wrap because it was soaked.  I was able to move another 2 tons of decorative stone and finish my project without stopping again.   :)

For those of you who may not be familiar with pre-wrap, it is used by athletic trainers and it is applied prior to using athletic tape.  It prevents the athletic tape from adhering directly to the skin.  It can be purchased at sporting good stores, discount stores and pharmacies. 

I know that my suggestion may not work (or be appropriate) for everyone but if it helps one other person, then it was worth posting it. 

I look forward to reading everyone else's suggestions!      :)
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
Here's a little trick that may not be new to everyone, but it was to me when I learned it last year... after being an amputee for over 30 years.

Put a plastic bag over your shoe before sliding your leg into your pants... your pants will slide easily over your shoe.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
This is how i do it, at night when i am getting ready for bed and am taking my legs off, i let my pants slide down over my legs like the firemen due with thier pants over thier boots, and then disconnect my legs and take my liners off while sitting  in my wheel chiar, then in the morning when i get up i just reverse the procedure, by putting on my liners and socks if needed and stepping in to my sockets making sure that i am all the way in then standing up pulling my pants up.
As far as i can see it would only work for a bilat bka.

And the plastic bag is a great idea and i can see how it would really work.

Mitchee, will check it out on both of my legs as soon as i can get them on right now both are still a little swollen up form the operation, and will get some of that pre-wrap the next time we go to TYLER.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:12:01 PM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
I use a plastic bag inside my work shoe or boot.  I place my prosthesis inside the plastic bag and place it in my work shoe or boot.  I squeeze the air out of the bag and tightly wrap it around itself and duct tape it just below my socket (near the pyramid adapter).  I'm careful so that I don't get any duct tape on my socket because it tends to leave a sticky residue.  The duct tape is applied to the bag only, I don't tape the plastic bag to any part of my prosthesis.  If the bag is wrapped tightly before I duct tape it, it tends to stay in place pretty well.  The bag keeps my foot clean and dry.  It keeps the grass clippings, dirt, leaves, snow, etc. off of my prosthesis and out of my foot shell and out of my shoe.  When I am done, I remove the bag, wipe down my prosthesis, change shoes and I am on my way. 

I have an uncovered prosthesis so I am able to tightly wrap the plastic bag around the carbon fiber shank of my prosthesis.  I don't think this will work for a covered prosthesis.  I wouldn't recommend it because of the potential for the duct tape to accidentally get stuck on the cosmetic covering. 
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »
You guys are geniuses!  I don't know what tip I'm going to try first. 

The only small tip I have to contribute is about belts.  I love my locking-pin socket, but I was beginning to dread summers because the leg would rotate no matter what I did, to the point of making me almost immobile during the summer months.  When I got desperate and tried my trusty old 20-year-old TES belt from three legs ago, it was a miracle.  It makes my waist sweaty but I'm back to walking anywhere, no matter how hot and humid it is. 
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:32 AM »
I was having a problem fitting my narrow leg jeans over my prosthesis, and they are too narrow to pull them above my knee.
The problem was solved by having a 19" zipper sewn into the inseam, allowing me to put the jeans on and then out my leg on.
Each of the tips listed here show that we can solve life's little problems.

Dave S
Taking one day at a time!!

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
Iam a blk too. And also use the pin lock system..Iam having volume changes with the humid and hot weather. Sometimes a sock is to much sometimes its not enough...add. take off add take off its enough to drive you NUTS! I only need the extra sock at the top and its to much at the bottom. ::) I cut old socks and only use the top half at the knee part..it works good so then I don't have all that tightness and pain at the bottom.

To put my pants on I put my leg on first than put  a plastic bag over the shoe and pull up the pants.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
In order to maintain a constant volume, I continue to use pressure on my stumps each night.

My prosthetist told me over 30 years ago that continuing to maintain stump volume would keep more constant volumes during the day and ensure a better more secure fit in the sockets. Shrinkers or Ace bandages are uncomfortable because they tend to roll down during the night and cut into your waist and loose contact and are expensive.

I've discovered that buying support pantihose and cutting out the crotch (hey I'm a guy :-[ ) and tying a knot at the bottom of the stump and cutting off the surplus and wearing 1 - 4 pair of the heavy support ones are the answer to my problems. I increase the number if I'm not getting in all the way.

I put the pantihose on first, then underwear and fold the top of the pantihose over the top of the underwear. It's much more comfortable at night, they stay up and maintain constant pressure and I don't have any volume change during the day and my legs fit in the socket much more securely and don't slip during the day... plus it's much cheaper than buying shrinkers. You can buy heavy support pantihose for no more than $10 and even get them on sale. I pick up a dozen when they are being cleared at half-price. 

It works for me as I'm a bilateral AK, but there's no reason that a single AK couldn't just cut off a leg of the pantihose to achieve the same benefit.

And Pegleg... like you I leave my pants on my legs at night, but pull the waist up over the top of the sockets to keep them from wrinkling, that happens when you leave them down around the ankles of your prosthesis overnight. Definitely a time saver.

I also change my shoes and put a change of pants on the legs each night before going to bed. The plastic bags definitely help with tight jeans.
Peter
BAK since '74

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:03:38 PM »
I just found out its important to wear a arch support in your shoe of your sound leg..I went up 1 whole shoe size!! form all the work my right foot does..but it has all my life since I wore a leg brace on my now amputated leg.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 01:19:29 AM »
I'm an AK, and most of the time I don't go in the ocean when at the beach, BUT...... a few times I wanted to go out and jump waves with my little girls, so I just put a garbage bag over my leg and then a couple of cosmetic hose to hold it in place and a pair of water shoes -  had no problems or leaks...and a lot of fun!      8)   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:18:59 PM by Robogirl »
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
I just found out its important to wear a arch support in your shoe of your sound leg..I went up 1 whole shoe size!! form all the work my right foot does..but it has all my life since I wore a leg brace on my now amputated leg.

As an Orthotist as well as a Prosthetist, i back up Snowbear 100% on this!!!! I send everyone i see to an Orthotist for a pair of good fitting shoes and custom made insoles; IMHO preserving the remaining foot is EXTREMELY important.

On the trousers/pants front, Most camping and/or Outdoor shops (in the UK) sell trousers that can be unzipped just below the knee and turned into shorts; these are EXTREMELY useful if you (quickly) have 2 take your leg off for any reason (e.g. really bad itch) - it means you don't have o drop your trousers/pants in the middle of the street to make an adjustment to your prosthesis

On the sweating front, one thing most people don't know about are Cool Socks made by Hood/Truelife/Camp. They have a larger weave in the material which gives better air flow to the stump and also help to draw moisture from the stump.

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »
The thing is I should have been wearing one all my life..Since I was in leg brace on the leg  at 8 months old..And my good foot really took a beating doing the work for 2 all my life..Life and learn!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »
WOW what ideas guys & gals!!  Pyourke- What an idea to subtitute for shrinkers,etc. Snowbear & Chrysochlorida For arch supports {good leg} and also pants that zip off @ knee.

If fact they are all very usuable ideas.  you might know it would be a Man who would come up with the pantyhose idea. Duh!!

;) ann

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
Ann, this is off topic a bit, but here is another use for pantyhose and have done it and it worked, had the fan belt on a car break and was out in the middle of the desert, so we took a pair of the guys wifes pantyhose rolled it up and made a fan belt out of them and it got them 40 miles into the next town.

One just needs a good imagination and we can find or fix just about anything if we have to. too bad it wont work on the newer cars that just have to single belt.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »
As a wheelchair user who needs to carry my forearm crutches, I use pole clips from a marine store, and some junk parts to make crutch holdres on the wheelchasir. 

While at the marine store, pick up a thru-deck cup holder and 3 more pole clips, to make a convenient snap-on cup holder for the wheelchair.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA