Author Topic: Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?  (Read 16202 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any tips to make our lives easier?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »
Dick, thats a good one, one never know just where or how a good idea come from and a vivid imagination to go along with it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »
While at the marine store, pick up a thru-deck cup holder and 3 more pole clips, to make a convenient snap-on cup holder for the wheelchair.

I can't quite picture how the cup holder attaches.  I'll have to try and remember to look the next time I see you (the August amp meeting).

As for the pants that zip off at the knee.... They are great.  But unfortunately, they are somewhat in the "trendy" batch of clothes and don't come in the waist sizes I need.  But when I was able to find them in my size, they were very handy.  If anyone knows of a place that sells them in the 38-40 waist size.... Yeah, it'd be easier to just lose a few pounds, but that's not working too well for me right now.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
JClark, if my memory is correct, my wife and daughter got me some at K-MART, or TARGET, not sure which and they are the 38-40 waist that you need.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
Jason:

The cup-holder.  My wheelchair has desk-style arms, so there's a little cut-back at the front end of the arms.  The cup-holder sits in there.

2 pole clips, one above the other on the side of the cup-holder, and the 3rd clip on the bottom.

I don't usually bring the wheelchair to the LVH meetings, but I'll try to remember to bring the cup-holder, and pictures of how it fits on the wheelchair.  You can buy the parts at West Marine, and I'll get you the part # for the clips.

If your wheelchair has different style arm rests, you may have to adapt the design.

If you want, Google for Invacare Wheelchairs, select manual, lightweight wheelchairs, and look up model XT-9000, with the fixed-height desk-type arm-rests.

Now, for parties, I need to make a matching gizmo for the other arm-rest to hold a small plate of food.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »
Hi Jason - I do not know if you like to buy on line, but I often buy from a company called Sierra Trading Post. I just checked their site and they carry convertible pants from five different companies in size 40 and 1 company has sizes up to 46. You should check them out. Their prices and service is great. I have several pants that convert to shorts from them. Herb

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
I use a slightly different method to attach a cupholder to my wheelchair than Dick does. My Quickie doesn't have arm rests, just wheel guards, so many of the standard cupholders for wheelchairs won't work for me. I found a cloth, water bottle holder that has a belt loop for joggers and slipped it onto the top end of my removeable foot rests. I leave it on all the time as it just lies flat when you don't put a coffee cup or water bottle into it. I also have a similar velcro attached pouch from a folding multi-tool that I use to carry my reading glasses on the same leg. On the other leg rest is my camera case. Belt loops on small bags and such work well on the horizotal bar on your foot rests. Whenever I'm in a sporting goods store or automotive store, I'm on the lookout for devices to carry stuff on my wheelchair. I'd be lost without my coffee cup 'bag' and my reading glasses pouch. The other attachment that I use is a key ring with a snap hook looped over one handle of the chair through the key ring, with the snap hook hanging down, on which I clip my camera tripod when I go on photo shoots.

I'm currently looking for a bag that will carry my newspaper that will slip onto the handle of the chair. I've been looking at wine bottle bags, but haven't found the ideal one yet. The napsack that I have on the back of the chair will work, but it's awkward getting stuff in and out of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:46:54 PM by pyourke »
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline dozerdude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »
When I saw the subject, my first thought was "Win the Lottery!"

Some great tips though.

Something I've found useful is keeping a pair of crutches in every vehicle I have. When we travel it's a comfort knowing I can take my pros off if it gets sore, or we decide to overnight.

My everyday set are no longer made (Lumex, shepard's crook), so I don't have to worry about forgetting them at a hotel. I've found some decent ones at garage sales for a couple of bucks.

Still thinking about that lottery, though;-)

Bob

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »
Peter:

You seem to have developed gimmicks for attaching stuff to your chair to an art-form.  Keep sharing the goodies.   :)

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
As a wheelchair user who needs to carry my forearm crutches, I use pole clips from a marine store, and some junk parts to make crutch holdres on the wheelchasir. 

I was shopping in the local Walgreens, and they had an item on close-out.  It's a cup holder and a 2 part cane holder.  Normally $19 on close out for $8.99.  For this kind of price, I just couldn't wait to pick one up, actually grabbed two, not sure if anyone else is looking for one.

The cup holder bracket has a method so you can fix it so the cup doesn't tip with motion.

The cane holder (both parts) can rotate so you can adjust things a bit.

The box also contains a variety of spacers to make the clamps tighter when you clamp it to the wheelchair.  So far, I've just attached the cane holder, but it works pretty well.

North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 02:49:58 AM »
Jason:

Thanks.  I'll have to check out our local Walgreen's and see if they have these.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
When I shop for pants I take a plastic bag with me and keep it in my purse..This Way when I try on pants I  don't have to take my leg off just slide them off and on over the plastic bag..It beats taking the leg off to try on pants.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
When I shop for pants I take a plastic bag with me and keep it in my purse..This Way when I try on pants I  don't have to take my leg off just slide them off and on over the plastic bag..It beats taking the leg off to try on pants.

Hey 'snowbear' that's a really neat idea...duh, I would have never thought of that.
 ;)  ann

snowbear

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »
yeah! to tell you the truth I just thought of it!! LOL!! when I had to try on pants..The pain in the you know what taking the leg off and on. then I had a light bulb moment! Ta DA!! Take a plastic bag with me..Because that is how I put my pants on after I put my leg on each day. :)

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
Another thing that I've been doing for years and it's become automatic to me is cutting down an old cane that stays in my car so that the height when it's on the floor of the car is the same length of my regular canes when they are outside the car. That way when I get in and out of the car I can use two canes which are the same height lift myself up to get in and out of the car. I'd previously just used the car seat back, but when I bought my last car, the seat back was higher and made it awkward to do the same. I also tilt the seat back in the newer car to give me more room to swivel in and out of the car which also made it difficult to use the seat back. The short cane stays in the car beside the drivers seat.

Peter
BAK since '74

snowbear

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
Cool Idea Pyourke!