Author Topic: Upright versus recumbent exercise bike...  (Read 4758 times)

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
Upright versus recumbent exercise bike...
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
I'm an AK and am reasonably mobile but spend waaay too much time at my desk working.  I want to get in some exercise breaks throughout the day; a stationary bike has helped in the past.

Any recommendations on upright versus recumbent, especially as far as how it affects my prosthesis?  Any advantages/disadvantages for using either (with or without my leg)? 

Thanks.  I lurk but don't post near enough here.  It's wonder to see how this forum as evolved!
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Upright versus recumbent exercise bike...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »
I'm a BKA and I've used both at the gym. The upright seems to cause less stress on my leg then the recumbent. I always use the leg though.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Susan, I'm an AK, and prefer the upright bike.  In fact, my favorite bike at the gym is the spin bike..... love those classes!!!  I use a clip in sandal and can stand up/sit down and ride it out just like everyone else in the room!  But this summer,  I've gotten into water aerobics and am loving it!   Just do it at home in my pool, but it's a great workout...sans leg, and sweat! 
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:41 AM »
Why not use a cross trainer, much better workout for the whole body and emulates a walking/climbing motion so helps to strengthen the muscles you'll use on a daily basis.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »
Rikk, i know this is OTa bit, but with your knowledge on bikes, being a bilat bka, kwhat do you recomend for me
you-all have a great day.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »
Hi, Rikk

I think a cross trainer is a bit tricky for an AK.... without a knee it is hard to keep the foot from moving off the platform.   Hmmmm... I'm wondering if the velcro I use on my bicycle pedal (sticks to a piece I have on my shoe) would keep it one?  But I doubt that the gym would appreciate me doing that to their equipment.  Oh well.   Perhaps some of the new ankles might help us out in the future.

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Robo, just take a velcro strap, you can buy it from Homebase or loads of diy places and use that. Wrap it around the platform and your foot...jobs a good un :)

Pegleg, do you mean excersice bikes?  if so I'd say the recumbent bike, there is a lot less knee work using a recumbent than a normal bike as your in a more stretched out position for an amputee without a specific leg for cycling it's much easier and more comfortable.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »
Rikk, thanks will follow your advice on both excersice and open road bike

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »
 Duh, why didn't I think of that?    :-[     I'll try it, Rikk..... thanks! 

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »
Pegleg, for the open road bike I'd REALLY take a hard look at the RotoR http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/i1-rs4x.shtml as I would think for you it would be a godsend. I know it's a big chunk of money but so worth it.

Would be worthwhile finding somewhere near that would let you test a recumbant as not all people can get along with them.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »
Rikk, thanks will take a good look at it as soon as i get off of the wheels that i am now riding, and man when i say i hate them i mean it, was stuck riding them for six months before i got my first pair of legs,

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
I don't get the point behind this crank.  Anytime I have a dead spot when pedaling it means I'm in the wrong gear for that terain.  If I shift up or down I can usually eliminate the dead spot without expensive equipment.

As for recumbant bikes in general, you might want to look at the handcycle thread in the sports area of the forum.  Those are also expensive, but so is any recumbant.

Pegleg, for the open road bike I'd REALLY take a hard look at the RotoR http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/i1-rs4x.shtml as I would think for you it would be a godsend. I know it's a big chunk of money but so worth it.

Would be worthwhile finding somewhere near that would let you test a recumbant as not all people can get along with them.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:13:13 AM »
I really admire you guys who who get on "real" bikes in open terrain.  As I recall, I could barely do it with two legs over three decades ago.  But I have fond memories of a tricycle when I was 15 :).

I ended up with a recumbent bike that takes up half my living space, but it's wonderful so far, and I use it for more than hanging clothes.  It keeps my back from aching while I"m cycling and my hands free to read or exercise independently with free weights. 

Too cool.   8)

SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »
How can you get rid of the dead spot by changing gear? it's not a case of what egar you are in it's a case that the cranks are at 12 and 6, and in this position cannot generate any force no matter what gear you are in.
To turn the cranks from the 12/6 position you have to pull back with one knee and push with the other, for a lot of BK's this is hard if not downright painful and for AK's obviously impossibe as they don't have a knee.
With the RotoR, the power pedal is always in the 1 oclock positon so to give power all you do is put weight on it.

have another look at the page with the animation after reading the above it's nothing to do with gearing.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 08:51:35 PM »
I understand what you're saying about the pictures and the gears.  But if I shift to a smaller sprocket, I don't experience the dead spot.  It may still be there, but I just don't feel it.  Your experience may be different, but that's what I I've learned.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+