Author Topic: Why won't God heal amputees?  (Read 6163 times)

teo

Why won't God heal amputees?
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:09:35 AM »
There is a member here who bugs me like hell by mentioning God, Jesus, etc.  I can't believe that in this day and age, we still have people retarded enough to believe in God. 

I found this website: www.whywontgodhealamputees.com

also there is a video which explains in 5 min. Jesus is imaginary figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj8hg5CoSw&feature=related

I hope people can stop making retarded comments like "god bless you." 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't God heal amputees?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
I was born catholic but for the most part I am agnostic. I have been for years. I just don't know what I believe really in regards to the afterlife, but I would definitely be a man who believes more in science than faith.

That said, I found your post angry, mean, childish and frankly, pointless. How old are you? The reason I ask is because the last time I referred to someone whom I disagreed with as 'retarded' I was maybe 12 years old. I find people who refer to others as retarded in this manner would also be the type that would pick on the handicapped calling them 'gimps' or whatever.

Even though I am a card carrying agnostic, people don't know this as I live in a very Catholic nation (The Republic of Ireland). In Ireland even to say 'hello' (in the native tongue, Irish/Gaeilge) you say 'Dia Duit'. That translates as  'God Bless you'. The reply is 'Dia es Muera Duit' which translates to 'God and Mary Bless you'. So, belief in God is very much a part of life here for many (not all) and I would hear 'bless you' or 'God bless you' alot. Even though I am not religious I take it that when people say that to me it is a way of showing love (even if in a platonic, good natured, be nice to strangers way). To get all upset is a waste of time and effort.

Apparently you simply like to stir things up. As I remember we got into a online little spat about hackers and such a while back. You were giving out to people in such a way that shows a lack of maturity, restraint and 'people skills'. We are all here to help each other to deal with disability. We are not here to argue about religion. To come out with what you just wrote doesn't do anyone any good.

If asked if I would like to read messages without any religious overtones, I would say yes, but I have to know that people believe what they believe and have every right to communicate to me and others in a way that agrees to them. I would only get really annoyed when people become offensive.

So, my advice to you (which I'm sure you'll jump at the chance to take), is: get over it,  grow up, and play nice.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:10:59 AM »
I agree with everything Steve said. It's very easy to offend anyone by calling them retarded, that's got nothing to do with whether they believe in God or not. I feel very much the same way as Steve about religion, but I hope those that do believe in God will have the strength to ignore you teo.

Offline Dave 08

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:20 AM »
There is a member here who bugs me like hell by mentioning God, Jesus, etc. 

Funny that you used "hell" in that sentence. How can something bug you "like hell" when its apparent you dont believe in that either. Im just saying.......

Im an atheist so dont think Im trying to defend a religion or anything. Lighten up, lifes too short.
Dave

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »
Teo:

I must say I agree whole-heartedly with Steve and OBL.  You appear terribly immature and offensive in your tyrade.  Very well said, Steve.

Our common thread here our experience with amputation.  Believers, non-beliveres, and doubters are all welcome.

I happene to be a believer - in fact I'm a retired pastor (that ought to frost your cookies, Teo.)

As Steve pointed out. being "retarded" has nothing to do with whether or not you are a believer.  The way you throw that word around indicates to me your own lack of maturity.

As an amputee, you are welcome here on the List.  You are welcome to your views on religion and believers.  But, you are NOT welcome to put others down in the way you just did.

So ..... let's grow up, and move on to more constructive topics.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »
Oh yes, back to the original question:  Why won't God heal amputees?

Who says God doesn't? 

I'm a bilateral amputee, and both limbs healed very nicely, thank you.

I didn't say that the limbs grew back - now that would be a trick.  But I have healed and have gotten on with my life, as most amputtes here have done.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
Some say that I'm a better person because of the accident I had that led to me losing my leg. If I hadn't had that accident, I wouldn't have met my beautiful wife, and I wouldn't have the two best children in the world. God works in mysterious ways they say..... so if there is one, who's to say it wasn't his way of 'healing' me..... my amputation has been given to me, it has improved me, changed who I am for the better.

By the way... I don't do religion....

teo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
Religion is an iron-age relic of human ignorance. Religion is a tool to control the fool, nothing more.
All I am saying is people who believe in ludicrous superstitions and fairy stories are a bit thick and I don't like these retards to tell me God loves me or blesses me.  If you want to believe in God or a jug of milk, that's fine.  Just keep it to yourself and don't tell me this God loves me. wtf?

We live in a culture of idiot-worship, where we're too sensitive to criticize idiotic beliefs just because they are widely-held. It's time for us to realize there is nothing inherently noble about stupidly and blindly following an organized religion.

It's 2008! Wake up!

There are numerous scientific studies which show that people with low IQ, "retards" are more likely to be religious.  Considering how you have to ignore overwhelming historical facts and scientific principles to be religous, that makes total sense.  Retards believing in God or superstition is not offensive to me.  Trying to convey those idiotic values to me on the other hand, is very offensive.  Having been born a catholic, I held on to this stupid belief for over 30 yrs.  I don't like to be reminded what kind of idiot I was, believing in God. 

"Let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." - Richard Dawkins
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:17:35 PM by teo »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
I'll repeat myself. We are here to help each other as we live with amputation. We are not here to insult each other, call each other names and basically act like a child mid-tantrum.

There are good people on this site. Some are church goers and some are not. Insulting the religious only makes you look like a angry bully. Once again I am not religious, but do you know what the religious people are probably doing now? Praying for you. I bet that really 'chaps your hide' eh?

One reason I sometimes find online forums so frustrating is that virtually anonymous people can spread their hate so easily. I can't imagine someone saying these things to a person face to face. They wouldn't have the courage.

I have loved ones who are mentally disabled. If someone called them a 'retard' I doubt I would be as civil as I am trying to be now. I find 'retard' offensive. Obviously you are very intelligent, find another word.

I don't know what made you this angry but I would think you could benefit from talking with a professional. (I bet we all could benefit from you talking to a professional)

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
I don't even know how to respond to this???  Wow! 

Religion is a matter of personal choice.  There is no right or wrong belief.  I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for their beliefs. 

If someone posted something or sent you a PM that you found disrespectful or offensive, send them a PM and politely ask them to not use that word or phrase again.  That would have eliminated the need for this thread.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
teo, if you're not a believer, would you kindly keep that to yourself?  Your rant has actually planted you firmly in the realm of "emotionally challenged"...hopefully not for good!   

BTW, I don't do religion either, but I try not to insult those who do.  It's inflammatory. 

And you don't have to be religious to promote good will, and the world needs more good will and less provocation.  Wouldn't you agree? 

Namaste, brother. 

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
 Teo,

You might just find your anwser in the post you made before this one. If you smoke enough pot you will become a "retard" and at that point it's easy to believe in just about anything. Once you bake enough brain cells you'll find it very easy to see things that aren't there. ;D

FYI -- I don't do organized religion or pot ;)

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »
"Teo"

You really did it this time!!  You are wallowing in self-pity because this terrible thing happened to you.  {Amputation}  It is an awful thing to happen to anyone, isn't it? I would give almost anything to have my leg back...BUT   you do not need to take your grief out on everyone else because this happend to you.  It also happened to each of us.  If you were a man; you would have the courage to tell us who is making you so unhappy on this forum.  I, for one would like to know.

I agree w/Steve and the rest that have answered you...this is a forum of amputees...we all have gone through a terrible situation...we are here to help each other; not throw each other under the bus.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »
Teo, I think that Ann has a good point. IF you are feeling sorry for yourself as an amputee, it does no one, including yourself to malign people who believe in a higher being or call people politically incorrect names. If you are calling out for help, there are a lot of people here that have gone through and are still going through what you are experiencing. As others have said, this is a support forum for amputees and we are all here, both for and to support amputees. Angry outbursts just take away from intelligent discussion. Your thread adds nothing to this forum. I noticed in another thread that you asked if anyone was using pot for phantom pain. If you are experiencing pain and this is what is causing you to become angry, then just say so. There are many here who have phantom pain and can offer suggestions that may help.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
Congratulations teo.... your attempt at getting the thread with the most posts is well on it's way.... religion was always going to be the easy choice... be more inventive, go on, you can do it...