Author Topic: Does anyone here smoke pot?  (Read 2339 times)

teo

Does anyone here smoke pot?
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »
for phantom pain, etc.?

I grew up in California, worked as prosecutor in Colorado, and now live in Maryland.  Since nobody gets prosecuted for smoking pot in California or Colorado, (Colorado is a major producer of marijuana and many local farmers depend heavily on income generated from export of marijuana) I was used to smoking pot socially in younger years.  Then I gave up the habit since I stopped partying, got married, and became a family man. 

My doctor tells me today that he can write a prescription for pot if I want it.  I get phantom pain once in awhile and I use narcatic pain killer but I am worried that it can become habit forming.

I would like to hear from anyone who uses marijuana for pain control. 

snowbear

Re: Does anyone here smoke pot?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
No no way..Intresting thought..I have a ton of phantom pain tough it nerve entered my mind.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »
I never thought I'd say I want phantom pain...  :o

Good post, I bet alot of people have never thought of that as a solution, I bet it works though. I've heard of it being used to reduce the symptoms of other conditions to acceptable levels. There's a campaign in the UK to make it legal for such uses

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »
I never thought of that either. I wouldn't suffer from phantoms anymore. Here in Ireland I wouldn't think the laws would be so relaxed as to let me get it prescribed anyway. But then I live on about 5 1/2 acres on a island, maybe I can supplement  my income...
No, I'm pretty sure I'd go to prison for that.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:04:30 AM »
I never thought of that either. I wouldn't suffer from phantoms anymore. Here in Ireland I wouldn't think the laws would be so relaxed as to let me get it prescribed anyway. But then I live on about 5 1/2 acres on a island, maybe I can supplement my income...
No, I'm pretty sure I'd go to prison for that.

Here in the states I would be busted too! its against the law and you could serve jail time..Its not worth it.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Snowbear - not necessarily.  As Teo pointed out, CA and CO have medical marijuana laws.  We also have them here in OR.  The law limits the amount of pot one can grow and/or have in possession and you must have a card and prescription from a doctor.  There have been abuses in the past and there are questions about use outside of work hours (rights of employers/drug free workplace vs. medical).  Obvious the elephant in the room is the federal govt which doesn't particularly like those laws (at least under the current administration) although we rarely hear reports about the feds busting those using for medicinal reasons.

I never have and have no intention of using pot for any reason.  But it apparently works for at least some people. 

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:03:09 PM »
We have medical marijuana laws here in Canada, too...at least in British Columbia we do.  I have a neighbour who can get it legally, to deal with some symptoms of his M.S...nausea, pain, etc.  Good ol' "B.C. bud".  But it's still an if-y issue: the law can be somewhat ambiguous and unclear. 

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
I don't have a big problem with phantom pain, so it's a non-issue for me.
When I smoked pot as a youngster(10-12 xmax.) it made me hungry and paranoid.
Not my idea of a good time.
However, I watched a good friend wither from liver, then lymph, then bone cancer.
A vibrant, lively individual reduced to a shell. When I first met him, he was a martial arts master, owned his own surveying company, and was the swiftest, smoothest motorcycle rider I have ever ridden with. Not wheelies down the interstate mind you.
2 people leave point A at the same time, he will be at your destination before you. 200 miles away.
I watched him traverse 6 miles of twisty roads without use of the brake light.
Think about it. Pure mastery of the machine.  All in our group were in awe. How does he do that?

He found marijuana made life more livable after his diagnosis.
Moreso than Vicodin, Codeine or Oxycontin, or those patches, hillbilly heroin I think they call it? All of which were readily available from his doctors.
He had a source, but had he not, I would have gone and gotten him some to get him through.
I know a few guys, it's only a phone call away.

If your child, parent or spouse were in the same boat, WWYD?
And no, he never rode stoned. He didn't drink.
I find a nice quaff of Knob Creek bourbon takes the edge off a tough day.
Is that so different?

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
Personally, I've not got that much trouble with Phantom Pains.  I've learned several factors that influence if and how strong I get phantoms.  My fixes are non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, and are legal.

HOWEVER, I understand that some people might need different things for pain.  I have no opinion about what they need or do for pain.

HAVING SAID THAT, I do think that pot should be legal for medicinal purposes.  There are some things I do believe pot can help people with.  Cancer and chemo is one, although there are others.

That's my opinion.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »
I remembered. Fentanyl(81 times stronger than morphine) was the patch.
He found a few puffs of weed more beneficial for him than some stuff that practically takes
CIA/DEA/FBI clearance to get.
If he took the Fentanyl patch, he was down for the day.
Some pot let him stay awake and function to a degree.

I just don't get the hang-up.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
I gotta agree with Jason and others on this.

I've never used pot and don't plan to.  And surely it has been abused.

But,  any substance should be available for medical use, if properly prescribed and supervised.  Here is an area where doctors and pharmacists know more than politicians about what is suitable for medical purposes.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA