Author Topic: Leaking hydraulics, Mauch not working properly?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking hydraulics, Mauch not working properly?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 03:29:04 AM »
Everything's fine, got my new knee and it's working.  What a difference a good hydraulic cylinder seal makes! 

Still waiting to get it laminated and covered (next week), but I'm rather enjoying my new bionic appearance.  It sure beats crutches and I feel like I really earned this leg!  So everybody who sees me: "Join in and celebrate the new functional me! Yahooooo!!"   8)

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
Stinker, I know what you mean by the leg getting stiffer after the comesis is applied. I went back and had them remove the cosmesis and readjust the knee at a faster gate to compensate when the cover was reapplied. That solved my problem with the stiffness. After wearing them for a while the cover also eased at the knee so walking was effortless again.

I also live in Canada, in Ontario and we get cold winters and it's never caused the hydraulic fluid to leak. Prior to the Mauch SNS knee, I did have a low level hydraulic unit that would freeze up in very cold weather and get very stiff. If you were sitting at a outdoor football game in the late fall, it was tough to stand up at the end of the game during cold evenings! That has never happened to me with the Mauch SNS knee but then I try not to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter! 
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
I was told the knee was abused.  How do u abuse a knee.  Yes there was sand in the knee but it came from the foam cover that was over the knee......When ottobock refused to replace the knee on warentee I personally called them and told them I would see them in court..It seem that changed there minds on the matter and came through with the warentee.
That is my opinion and I stand by it lol.

Good Job Stinker!
Otto Bock are NOTORIOUSLY bad at warranty claims.... and every time the excuse is/combination of these 4 things
a) component has been misused (i.e. it got scratched or dirty cos it was used in the real world!)
b) It was set up wrong (i.e. your prosthetist hasn't done his job right!)
c) Wrong parts used (i.e. if every part of the leg is not Otto Bock then the warranty is halved to only 1 year)
d) Theres sand/dirt in it.... (i think its terrible to sell parts that are intended for use outdoors and then complain because they got damaged when they were used outdoors!)

Also, if you trial a foot from Otto Bock, you will be forced to buy it if there are any marks on it(this includes the Pyramid (which is on top of most units!)); the only way to avoid marking the pyramid is to tape the top up or use a special cover (which is not supplied!)

Phew!!! Rant over
CC