Author Topic: treatment by others  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: treatment by others
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
Robogirl... Well stated.  Your desire to 'blend in' doesn't make you vain.  Just because a person chooses to cover their prosthesis doesn't mean that they are embarrassed or ashamed of it. 

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
Robogirl... Well stated.  Your desire to 'blend in' doesn't make you vain.  Just because a person chooses to cover their prosthesis doesn't mean that they are embarrassed or ashamed of it. 

Thanks Mitchee! I'm not embarrassed at all by any means..In fact I'm quite proud of all I have been through and I'm still standing! Thanks so much for your thoughts very appreciated! :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
This is to everyone that posted on here, i do think that i really openec a can of worms on this one, and i can say that i am proud to the fact that i am up  and walking, and that old saying that POPEYE, used to say I AM WHAT I AM, and thats me. I dont wear cover for one reason, i tear them up to fast, especially if i have to get down on my knees working in the yard or in the house. which happen more than i like, just last night i had to un plug the disposal drain and was down on my knees in order to do it.

you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
I've never been embarrassed  or uncomfortable about the way my prosthesis looks. I like the appearance of my prosthesis and do not mind stares. I wear shorts year round and my leg has started many great conversations with strangers. Kids usually think it is awesome and often ask me about my robo leg or my bionic leg. I looked into cosmetic covers at first but thought they looked too phony, but  I do wish that my socket looked better. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
Some people like the attention if that is some peoples thing OK..But I and many don't..Like I said I have been stared at all my life and don't like it. Children are a different story but adults are another they know better and some some are curious and some are ignorant...The ones that pegleg jack encountered are ignorant.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »

That's why I think this thread is so good.  We can now understand and respect each other's view, even if we feel differently.   There's no right and wrong here.  Except, of course, the behavior of the people PLJ encountered - they were definitely out of line.

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

snowbear

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
I work with children and their comments are so cute, innocent and funny! One child said to his dad...Look at the solider
lady! cool leg! and another child in kindergarten calls me robot teacher! The looks and stares from children actually bring a smile to my face....

BUT I'm having it covered next week not out of vanity, not of of embarrassment, not of conceit. But for me..As I said I wore a  metal leg brace since 8 months old being stared  at is not new to me as it may be for new amputees who have never encountered a difference; I faced diversity all my life from a birth defect. So I'm quite use to peoples judgments on other..All in all its a personal choice. They have really good cosmetic covers and some do look fake and obvious it depends..Intresting Since I have had my amputation I was very suprised at the co-workers who had no clue I had a prosthetic leg! I actually shocked many because it is not covered right now..All my other legs have been covered and I wore capries. Because it was covered they never knew and I don't whine or brag about it. I'm just ME! my  leg is not about who Iam. or what I lack..