Author Topic: 5 years ago today I lost my leg but my life was saved!!  (Read 1694 times)

snowbear

5 years ago today I lost my leg but my life was saved!!
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
5 years ago today I lost my leg. After a life time of operations and braces, cast, pins, rods and you name it I developed a life threading infection form all the trauma to it..its odd since amputation was suggested to my parents as a child..they freaked and I was put through many unsuccessful operations just to develop a bone infection. I have come a very long way in three years and have learned so much about what we amputees go through form life's daily struggles to the kind of sockets, liners, and socks available to us..I have also ment some very cool amputees here at the Amputee Treatment Center..Thank you all for all your wise advice and wisdom and friendships!

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: 5 years ago today I lost my leg but my life was saved!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »

Me too, 'Snowbear'...I have met some really nice and informative people.  Already I am going to have to be fitted with another leg.  I may be getting the Stan Patterson vacuum socket...don't know for sure.  This is the weird part of this.  I was informed by another amputee in our area that there is a new Dr. in town.  He worked w/Stan in Florida when they were perfecting the vacuum socket.  Talk about strange things that happen.  I had been tossing around the idea of going to Florida to see if I would want one.

Anyway, the bottom of my leg has been hurting...he took one look and said that the reason was the pin system...it constantly milks your leg & it was shoving the rest of my leg up behind my knee.  Am I making any sense?

I am to go back next Monday to try on the test socket  ~ they make their own liners...I will wear it for acouple weeks, then we will see what happens.

Ann {grinning very widely}   ;D   can you see I am beside myself with happyness!!

It will be 7 years for me the 6th. of January.    ;) ann

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
I took a fall yesterday and fell right on my stump!! OUCH it swelled up like a balloon! and I skinned it..I had My prosthetic off and was on my knee walker. It is very sore today..I had to ice it and evaluated it. It is still puffy and swollen but not as much as it was..I did manage to squeeze into my socket with hope it will go down A little painful but OK. I'm still able to walk or hobble around!  The socket sounds intresting keep us up dated and good luck I hope it works for you.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
Hi Snowbear - I hope your injury to the end of your residual leg is not too serious and it gets back to normal quickly. I periodically have problems with my residual leg and can not wear my leg for a few days or longer while it heals. I still have to do my outside work and walk my dog. She weighs over 100 pounds and she sometimes knocks or pulls   me off my crutches especially when she sees a deer or a squirrel. . So now when I am out working on crutches I wear an old socket that does not have a leg attached. That way when I fall I do not injure my residual leg. Two years ago I went skiing for a day with no protection and fell once on hard ice and it took 2 weeks to get my residual leg healed. Herb