Author Topic: agility microprocessor knee  (Read 6088 times)

Offline chasamp

• View Profile
Re: agility microprocessor knee
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi Herb. Actually it is my first leg as a above the knee. I was a below the knee amputee for nine years and developed problems and had to have a revision to above the knee in Nov of 07. Perhaps my being a below the knee amputee before had something to do with it. He never mentioned anything like that. We discsussed the C-leg and the Agility and decided to go with the Agility.

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »
Hi Herb,
I thought you said in the other post that you didn't have any problems with the C-Leg for 5.5 years running, and what's up with this now?
Doesn't the C-Leg's life expectancy about 7 years or a little longer than that?

Anyway, let me know about the agility knee if you get on it and what's the cost invovled?
- King Rocky
King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 08:31:03 AM »
Hi King Rocky - my c-leg has twice malfunctioned. Each time it was for about an hour and each time I was still able to walk on it with no problem. It just was not giving me any stability control, so I just had to pay more attention to my walking. Herb

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:56 AM »
Herb, I found this forum a few mins ago & have just joined, my wife is a right leg AK amputee, a terrible auto accident happened last year and she is using a basic functional mechanic knee right now. Before the end of this year, she will get a new MPC knee, most likely a c-leg. I understand that c-leg has been around for years, but the new PLIE knee by FREEDOM seems to be even better. Of course, PLIE is fairly new and I am not able to find too many info yet. You said in March that you were getting a new leg, so did you end up with another c-leg or the new PLIE knee? I just wanna get some feedbacks on the new product, thank you.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
Hi King - I will be getting a new c-leg next week. I asked my prosthetist for the Plie knee but he did not think it was rugged enough for my activities. Also my foot and socket are still in good shape but they would not have attached to the Plie knee, so the cost to me would have been much greater. Also my prosthetist said that because my residual leg is so long, the plie knee would have to be located lower than my other knee because the manufacturer has not yet come up with a low profile attachment. Maybe next time. I have been pleased with my c-leg and hope to get another 6 years out of my new one. I hope that by the time it wears out they will have better knees and lower costs. I looked into getting my old c-leg fixed but the cost was excessive considering that they would only give me a one year warranty. One of my prosthetists uses the Plie knee and is very happy with it. One feature that he especially likes is that you can get it wet without damaging it. Herb

Offline lion_king

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
Hey Lion-King

alot of the people i see have had sucess with waterproof coverings.

You could have a Carbon Fibre Exoskeletal leg made up, that would be more waterproof.
Other Waterproof parts include the LA Ankle (which can be adjusted by the user to angle downwards - so you can attatch a flipper to the foot (they are heavy though)); the Otto Bock Dynamic Foot is pretty waterproof; i've also heard that the Aulie Knee is waterproof (but i've never used it)

Otto Bock have JUST brought out a more 'Water Resistant' Locked knee called the 4R45 (i think)

Offline lion_king

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »
chrysochloridae, thank you for the info. :D