Author Topic: agility microprocessor knee  (Read 6089 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
agility microprocessor knee
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Hi - my five year old c-leg has stopped working. The lower leg swings free with no control. Has anybody had this problem. I called my prosthetist and learned that a repair could cost as much as $6,000 with only a maximum of 1 year guarantee. I think it is time to get a new leg with a three year guarantee and newer technology. On of my prosthetists is using the agility knee. He speaks very highly of it and it has several new features. Does anybody on the forum have experience with this knee? Thanks, Herb

jmoore

Re: agility microprocessor knee
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »
hi herb is that the knee made by freedom if it is i tried it before my c-leg i did not like it i felt it does not have that same stance control as the c-leg, it does have some nice things over the c-leg it is water proof it use camera batteries so you can carry a spare, with my c-leg i got the car charger so that was not a issue, with freedoms knee i was told if there was a problem with it they give you a loaner next day which is nice it does not have any type of lock for the knee like the c-leg you know what i mean how you can bend your knee and lock it  to me i like that i know the cost of a c-leg is not cheap but i felt you are dealing with 3 generation instead of 1 generation good luck Jeff

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
Hi Jeff - Thanks for your input. While I am very happy with my c-leg, the agility knee from Freedom seems to have a lot going for it. I am going to give it a trial. I like that it is made in this country. I especially like that you can get it wet. I work outdoors rain or shine. I do a lot of boating and kayaking and never feel safe wearing my c-leg. Twice when I have traveled, the airline has lost my luggage which had my charger in it and I was stuck for several days without a charge. My prosthetist, who has had both knees, likes the agility knee better. It is cheaper, too. I have heard that it was developed by the same group that engineered the rheo knee and it is an improvement over the rheo knee. Be well, herb

jmoore

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:10 AM »
hi herb i know what you mean water scares me around my c-leg and living in Oregon we get some rain lol, i wish otto bock would do something about that some kind of boot over the open area or something, did your cpo show you what it can as you walk they can see if tour shifting your weight over knee or if your cheating lol it was pretty cool to see they could watch from heel strike to toe load if you are walking right and make adjustments anyway good luck Jeff

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
I wore the C-leg for 6 years and have been on the Freedom knee for over a year (on their beta program) and hands down prefer the Agility.   Because the Agility has stance control, but not swing control, you can walk more naturally - ie., you are controlling it rather than it controlling you.  As was mentioned, the stance control isn't the same as the C-leg; where the C-leg will straighten up and lock if you make a mis-step, the Agility will allow the knee to bend and then stiffens up, allowing you to catch yourself.   I can switch activities without changing modes (from walking to bike riding, for example), and don't have to worry about being caught in the rain.  Although it is 1st generation, the company is standing solidly behind it and will be quick to repair any "bugs" if they come up.  I think you should give it a try and make your own decision.  It really is a matter of personal preference.   
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
Hi Robogirl - thanks for your response. The kids in my son's school call my leg "roboleg" Have you had experience walking in deep snow with your agility knee. My c-leg does not perform well at all in deep snow. Here in NH we have had over 8 feet of snow already and I have to walk outside every day dealing with my animal and bringing in firewood. Also how does your knee perform going up and down  steep hills? Do you ski with it? thanks, herb

Offline Budsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Wehre can I see this agility knee??

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
here is a link to the company that makes the agility knee. You can also find info by googleing agility microprocessor knee. Herb

Offline Budsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »
Tks Herb.  I will check that out tommrow.  Who makes the knee?

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »
here is a link to the company that makes the agility knee. You can also find info by googleing agility microprocessor knee. Herb

No link Herb

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
Hi, Herb

In answer to your question about how it performs in deep snow, I can't tell you since I have never been in that type of environment with the knee.  I will tell you though that I noticed on a recent trip to the Northeast that I had much more control on the ice than I did with my C-leg.  I was able to take smaller, flatter steps.  As for going down steep inclines and hills, it handles like the C-leg - you use the stance flexion.  I have not skied with this (or any other knee), so can't help you there!   I'd suggest you ask your prosthetist to contact the Freedom rep and see if they have feedback on that issue from patients who live in colder weather areas and ski.   

P.S.   It's now called the Plie' knee (as in a ballet dance move where you bend your knees).  Apparently there was already another orthopedic device out there with the name "Agility".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:12:22 AM by Robogirl »
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »
Hi Robogirl - thanks for your response. I thought that it was curious that when I did a search for info about the agility knee, I got results also about an agility ankle. My c-leg mysteriously started working again and I hope I can delay buying a new leg with the Plie knee until some windfall comes along. I get so much practice walking on ice that I have gotten pretty good at it. When it is really icy and I have to be outside all day, I wear strap on devices on my boots that have steel studs that prevent slipping. I  ski on one ski and use outriggers, but I would really like to ski on 2 skis because my flesh leg is sore and tired at the end of the day. herb

Offline chasamp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:11:28 AM »
I have this knee and although being a new aka I have nothing to compare it to I like it. I especially like the fact that it will not hurt it if it gets wet from fishing, washing car etc.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
Hi Chas - was this your first leg? my prosthetist thought it best that an amputee first learn to walk with a hydraulic knee before moving on to a microprocessor knee. Herb