Author Topic: Online Quality of Life Questionnaire  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Online Quality of Life Questionnaire
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:24:07 AM »

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
Re: Online Quality of Life Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
I would be willing to answer the questionnaire after one of the powers to be checks out the site. It is too easy to be scammed

Thanks

Dave S
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »
It appears that she's part of the London Judgment and Decision Making Group (LJDM) which works with the University College London (Psychology Dept). I found this out on the UCL website.

I took the questionnaire. It is string of questions basically what she said asking what we think our quality of life is. Then they ask what we think the quality of life would be for others dealing with various types of amputations. There is a chance to win some amazon.com voucher but if you do not want to try for it you never give your name or email address at any point. There is an option for getting the results after it is all done.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
Steve,
I just finished the questionnaire, and found the question interesting.

I signed up to receive the results
Thanks again

Dave S

Ne Pennsylvania U S A
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »
Dave-

I didn't sign up to receive the results. Maybe there'd be a way to post them here? Now I'm curious...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
I answered the questionaire also and saw no reason not to. I also requested the results as I'd be interested in seeing how the respondents replied in total.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
Thank you Steve for doing that, much appreciated. In addition you can find me on the City University website as part of the Memory and Cognition Research Group.

I am very happy to come back and post a response about the findings of the study if you think it would be of interest to the forum?

Kind regards

Emma

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
Emma,

I would be interested in seeing what the results are myself. You are part of a Memory and Cognition Research as well. I have a fierce bad memory. I tend to think it may have been all the drugs from my stay in the hospital (from my amputation and my bout of MRSA) but it could just be me.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
I also took the survey.  I had trouble with evaluating the quality of life of others.  They rated quality of life from zero to 100 with 100 being perfect health and zero wishing you were dead.  You entered a number for each question, but you don't have a chance to say why.  It would have been nice to say why the quality of life changed.

But my real concern is rating the quality of someone else's life.  For example: "rate the quality of life of a double AK".
Do I say how I think MY quality of life would be? Or do I answer this based on Jim, a very high DAK who uses a wheelchair to get around (for 20+ years), has 2 kids and does anything he wants, or do I answer based on Vince, a DAK who uses 2 prosthetics and does most of what he wants, or do I answer based on the 60-ish man I see down on the square in his electric chair and looks like he's next best thing to hopeless?

As part of the questionnaire you will be asked to provide some demographical information, the circumstances of your limb loss, and will be asked to make judgments regarding your quality of life and the quality of life of others.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
But my real concern is rating the quality of someone else's life.  For example: "rate the quality of life of a double AK".
Do I say how I think MY quality of life would be? Or do I answer this based on Jim, a very high DAK who uses a wheelchair to get around (for 20+ years), has 2 kids and does anything he wants, or do I answer based on Vince, a DAK who uses 2 prosthetics and does most of what he wants, or do I answer based on the 60-ish man I see down on the square in his electric chair and looks like he's next best thing to hopeless?

Hello

Thank you for your interest in the study and for your very valid comment.

We intend the questions asking you to judge the quality of life of others to be answered as if you were thinking of all the people who are in that group. As you say there are definitely many individual differences within all groups of people, but as we can't ask you to judge each individual person we want you to think of everyone who falls within that group and then give a rating which you think summarises their average quality of life.

Kind regards

Emma

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:16 PM »
Well, JClark, speaking as a 60+ bilateral AK who walks in the house and yard and uses a manual chair for the mall or for distances, I answered the survey and I can tell you that I rated my quality of life as better than many of the single AKs & BKs that I've met. I think attitude of the amputee affects how we feel, and I feel great! Quality of life is more than being able to run a mile in an hour, run a marathon or compete in a tri-athalon. Quality of life is finding the things that you can do and doing and enjoying them to the best of your ability. We all make adjustments in how we accomplish tasks and manage in our our way. Just because I'm a bilateral AK doesn't mean that my quality of life is based on my limitations... I believe that quality of life is based on accomplishments, relationships and sense of personal worth. I rated my quality of life as a 9/10! So if you have to chose... chose your friend Jim. He's what Vince should be trying to emulate. When I first became an amputee, I realised that I could feel sorry for myself or get on with life. I soon realized that being happy with what I've got left is better than regretting what I may have lost. As the old saying goes: "when life serves your lemons... make lemonade!" :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:24:52 PM by pyourke »
Peter
BAK since '74