Author Topic: Amps in the news 3  (Read 2056 times)

Offline frank

• View Profile
Amps in the news 3
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
Steve sorry for stealing your thread title. Perhaps it can become a forum category.

Anyway, Friday's LA Times had the obituary of Bert Shepard. A wounded WWII pilot who went on to be the only amputee to pitch in a major league baseball game.

Bert's story is quite remarkable and inspiring especially when you consider the technology and public opinion in those days.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-shepard20-2008jun20,0,3452831.story

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Amps in the news 3
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
Use the title all you want, it doesn't matter to me at all. It actually makes me feel good that the title was useful!
I read the article. He sounds like someone I wish I could have known. One of those truly strong characters.

Looking at that picture it is amazing that my first leg I ever got was nearly identical to that one. The only visible difference would be that mine had buckles instead of laces. (and I received that leg in the year 2000!)

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
Use the title all you want, it doesn't matter to me at all. It actually makes me feel good that the title was useful!
I read the article. He sounds like someone I wish I could have known. One of those truly strong characters.

Looking at that picture it is amazing that my first leg I ever got was nearly identical to that one. The only visible difference would be that mine had buckles instead of laces. (and I received that leg in the year 2000!)

Its more or less the same type that I am wearing now.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »
Dont really think that i could handle two of that type, my pin/lock system is bad enough at time getting on if the pins arnt just right.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
I am sure you could if you had to Jack.  I used to wear two of these, one was fixed locked so you had to pull a lever to unlock when you sat down, the other had no lock so would bend automatically whenever your leg bent.  Actually I was very mobile in these, they were surprisingly quite comfortable, and had very few problems with my stumps wore them probably for about 18months to two years. Mind you I was only about 14 yrs old.

I now only wear this type on one of my stumps, but do have tremendous problems, although thats I think because of the way it has been made, and not so much the type of limb.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
Annie, you can bet your bottem dollar on that, if it was the only thing that i could get and wear, i would find some way to make it work for me.
you-all have a great day.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
He's not in the news, but an interesting amputee you can read about is Douglass Bader, a WWII fighter pilot.  The fact that he was a double amputee didn't slow him down at all.  Even when he escaped from the Germans who had captured him!  He also designed the strategy for the air warfare for the battle in the skies over London.

Search him on Amazon for some interesting reading.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:04:23 PM »
He's not in the news, but an interesting amputee you can read about is Douglass Bader, a WWII fighter pilot.  The fact that he was a double amputee didn't slow him down at all.  Even when he escaped from the Germans who had captured him!  He also designed the strategy for the air warfare for the battle in the skies over London.

Search him on Amazon for some interesting reading.

Yes not exactly certain but think he probably would have worn this type of limb.  As young new amputee Douglas Bader wrote to my parents, I imagine my mother still has the letter somewhere.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
Douglas Bader was my inspiration when I lost my legs in an accident over 30 years ago. One of my nurses gave me his story "Reach for the Sky" and I knew that I would be ok. He was amazing and I decided that if I could even do half as much as him, I'd be successful as an amputee. While I never learned to fly, I did learn to golf and dance after reading about his experiences. I only wish I could have met him before he passed away.
Peter
BAK since '74