Author Topic: BIID  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
BIID
« on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:42 AM »
I just came across a article about a young father who deliberately froze his own leg in order to have it amputated. He has BIID (body integrity identity disorder). I think, fair enough, he has a mental disorder, there is no shame in that. But, obviously he fell through the cracks and wasn't diagnosed or treated (or treated properly). Its sad.
Part of me feels sorry for him, and part of me just wants to give him a slap. He says he's happy now and his marriage is doing well.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1299501.ece
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: BIID
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »
Hi Steve - I can not imagine anyone so stupid or so mentally sick that they would bring the world of amputation upon themselves. I have heard of several such cases in the US.
Here is an article about the phenomenon in last week's issue of Newsweek. Herb

http://www.newsweek.com/id/138932

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »
HERB and STEVEC, If you go over to the slow mo site and look under wanna bee's and devotee's you will find that this has been discussed in lenght and in some place in europe it is real hard to get an elective amputation because of these people doing this to them selfs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
Hi Steve - I can not imagine anyone so stupid or so mentally sick that they would bring the world of amputation upon themselves. I have heard of several such cases in the US.
Here is an article about the phenomenon in last week's issue of Newsweek. Herb

http://www.newsweek.com/id/138932

"Herb"

Neither can I!!  For the life of me, do not know how he can consider himself Happy now.  Sometimes I wonder if they want atttention...honestly, I could do without that kind of attention.  My only answer for them sick, real sick.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:12 AM »
I don't understand his thoughts or of course his actions. But I will simply put it down to mental illness. The only reason it touches us so deeply is that we had this forced upon us where as they chose it, they actually crave it. Something we will never understand.

A loved one of mine has been touched by the curse of mental illness which makes my statement about " and part of me just wants to give him a slap" completely ignorant of me. I just was feeling anger towards him for craving what I so desperately would love to undo. With his life so much better (in his opinion) after his amputation it seemed as though he was mocking my mental and physical pain, with his happiness.

But what really angers me is that is there no way to treat this illness? Did he not tell his wife and didn't she help him do something about it? Of course maybe he never told her, maybe he didn't seek help or maybe he didn't do what he was told. I do hope that he feels for the rest of his life this happiness that he had seeked for so long. Can you imagine how he would feel if one day he 'got over it' and realized his life would forever never be the same. No do-overs mate.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
Steve C
 - it definitely is a mental illness, i've heard it called 'Body Dysmoprhic Disorder'; this page sums it up pretty well
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3124.htm