Author Topic: DARPA ankle and knee news  (Read 1991 times)

teo

DARPA ankle and knee news
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
iPED, developed mostly from DARPA fund, (will be marketed by College Park) revealed itself on June issue of O&P Almanac.  This thing looks huge.

Like iWalk developed by MIT, this product is also an active ankle system.  (Proprio has microprocessor but lacks actuator/motor and is a passive system)

========================================================

Unlike what I had stated earlier, Otto bock's hardened C-leg (aka DARPA C-leg as it was funded by DARPA) WILL BE AVAILABLE to civilian.  Due out in 2009, DARPA C-leg will have a price tag of $30,000.00.

It will have faster microprocessor, water-proof, walk upstair foot over foot, run, walk backwards, change direction and will have twelve different modes of operation other systems do not provide.  50 hrs. of continous use, lighter and tougher material, it will most likely become the prosthetic of choic for AK amputees. 

If you are an AKA and thinking about getting a new leg, definately wait until next year if you can.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:00:00 PM by teo »

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
Re: DARPA ankle and knee news
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
wow.... i'm speechless...

I think alot of companies are going down the 'Dynamic Ankle' Route.... Next year is gonna see alot of new products hit the market i think....