Author Topic: Weather  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:24 AM »
Does anyone else live in the midwest?  Have you been affected by all of the rain?

I live in Oshkosh, WI and we have gotten almost 9 inches of rain in less than a week.  Last night, over 70% of the homes in Oshkosh had water in their basements.  I am one of the lucky ones, we are dry.  My neighbors, 2 lots over, have over 2 feet of water in their basement.  Some houses in Oshkosh have up to 5 feet of water in their basements.  It could very well have happened to my house, we were spared by the grace of God.  The mayor has declared a state of emergency.  After the horrific winter that we had, we should have had an easy Spring.  LOL.  The corn crop here has already been declared a disaster.  Expect high prices at the supermarket.  I'm just worried about how the farmers are going to feed all of their animals!! 

Hopefully the weather will improve soon.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 01:43:36 AM »
... Neighboring communities have been evacuated due to the high water and the because the rivers have not crested yet from all of the rain.  Some neighboring communities are severely damaged by the rain and swollen rivers.  The devastation will take years to rebuild.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »
UGH! I have seen it on the news..Many toughts to you..I live in NY.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »
Mitchee, we  had that lasts year and lucky that i dont have a basement, put have a pier and beam house( that is a house that is set on a foundation) and have had water under the house last and a couple of time this year, have had to water my yard only twice since the first of the year, also thank GOD i have a covered pool or that would have cost me a fortune to keep clean and the chemicals right.

We have been following it on the news and one other thing and this is the first time that i can remember that the Northeast corner of WYOMING got snow in JUNE, so this whole weather pattern is really messed up, as i live here in TEXAS, the reason i know about the snow is i have a sister that lives up there in a town call SUNDANCE.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Hi Mitchee - Hope the worst of the flooding is over now. You can send some of that rain up to NH. It has been dry and dusty here all spring. I am watering my vegetable and flower gardens every day. We  seem to be having a lot of extreme weather these days. I have lived at my house for 20 years and last spring we had flooding twice that washed out my drive and many local roads for the first time since I have lived here. Our winters have also been extremely mild for the last 10 years. Herb