Author Topic: How much does it cost to produce a socket?  (Read 10229 times)

Offline Fi

• View Profile
Re: How much does it cost to produce a socket?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
Well funny you ask because in 2006 I cycled from Saigon in Vietnam to Ang Kor Wat in Cambodia which was brill - 500K in 6 days but it was all pretty flat. Then in March last year I cycled from Granada to Seville in Spain which was cool. And in September this year I am doing another one - from Manchu Piccu in Peru over the Andes to the Amazon. This one is less distance - 300K - but will be hilly.

I am a little apprehensive about it actually because there really isn't much opportunity to train properly in HK - the roads are just too dangerous and the mountain bike trails are properly hardcore (ie. carrying your bike up a mountain and then cycling down it, steps and all, when you get to the top). I am off to Taiwan the weekend after next to cycle though as a couple of friends there are quite into it and apparently know some nice rides. On the Saturday we are apparently cycling up a mountain to some hot springs, we get to stay in the hot springs overnight, and then carry on with the cycling on Sunday. It will be my first ride of more than a day for over a year...am looking forward to it.

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »
I updated my article a week or so back have a look at this new version :-

http://91.151.214.107/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10729

Fi, I was really surprised when i read you don't stand and pedal, with the amount of riding you do you REALLY need to treat yourself to a RotoR, the difference you'll find will be amazing and you WILL be able to stand an pedal. I also have a short and boney stump, the only thing that's stops pedalling when standing up is it's damn tiring, but for getting up that last bit of a really steep climb it's great.

With the amount of riding you do and publicity you get I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get on free or at least at cost price, speak to the US supplier I'm sure they'll help.

But PLEASE PLEASE, at the very least find one near you and try it.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »
Rikk, thanks for posting the link to your updated article.  Tons of info for the new or experienced rider.   :)
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
Rikk that is an amazing article.

You are persuading me rapidly. Fundamental issue though isn't money - it's that I'm a girl therefore a technophobe and also a mechanical phobe and also quite lazy - if I can get up the hills (which I pretty much can all but the v v v steep ones) then I'm relatively happy. It sounds pretty cool though and when I start doing proper cycling again I certainly will get one (I just haven't had a chance since we moved here). The seat post is a great idea too - the amount of times I have fallen off due to not being able to touch the ground with my foot (both of them) is quite embarrassing.

Congratulations on everything you have achieved. I would absolutely love to come on a ride with you the next time I am back in England.

Fi

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »
Hi all of you!
I'm back after a long long time. 
I am in the midst of redoing my socket to what is known as a MAS socket - it's a modified version of that kind!
Would you believe, i haven't paid anything yet, but they have already made 2 castings and 5 trial sockets.  I am right now on a trial socket, which I have brought home ... to see how it is coping with my day-to-day activities.
But at the end of it, if I go for the final socket, I will end up paying like 225$ or something like that.
If I don't like it, then I don't get to pay for it at all!

Definitely the developing countries are a lot cheaper when it comes to this -- but we don't have insurance covers here, which will cover this.  So, it basically comes out of our pockets - the entire amount!
King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

snowbear

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Mitchee, Have you biked much this summer? I'm able to ride a little..I also enjoy biking I have a 12 speed mountain bike. I enjoy riding to bad we don't live closer it would be cool to ride bikes together. :)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Hi Snowbear.  I haven't been able to bike as much as I would like.  I have only been able to bike about 100 miles a week.  This summer has been very busy for me.  I hope to be able to ride more this fall. 

It would be nice to bike with you.  Too bad we don't live closer to each other.  Happy cycling.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »
I have not been out much myself we have had allot or rain here in NY..Hopefully the fall will be better..Thanks!