Author Topic: How much does it cost to produce a socket?  (Read 10211 times)

snowbear

Re: How much does it cost to produce a socket?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
I love biking too! I always have and its still one enjoyment I can do with my leg..I have a 12 speed mountain bike.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »
Cool!!!    8) 
I love mtn biking.  I wish that I could do more of it.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:47 AM »
Me too..Its very relaxing too!

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »
Michee,

have you tried extending the pedals (like snowbear has done) or getting an adjustable Crank?

I don't know where you'd go about getting one from, but an Adjustable Crank can accommodate for your reduced knee flexion.... might be cheaper than a new socket!

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
Try this site: http://www.highpath.net/eng/01.html#design, and I tried to do a search over on Amputee Online, but it's really slow today.  There was some stuff on there about bike cranks and such.  Maybe Fi will be around to shed some light.

:)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »
Here is the cost of my new sockets that i had made last year. here is what was billed MEDICARE and what medicare paid.

amount billed          amount approved       copay
4812.00                  3011.16                   602.23

the copay is my roughly 20% that medicare does not pay and it has to come out of my pocket.

this was for two new sockets and four liners.
you-all have a great day.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »

$600 for 2 sockets and 4 liners ain't too bad... still makes me see how lucky we are in the UK to have the NHS paying it all!!!

It is really expensive when you consider it only costs Ossur about $40 to make a liner!!!!! and a CP about $100 for all the materials to make a socket!

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:48 PM »
Mitchee,

have you tried extending the pedals (like snowbear has done) or getting an adjustable Crank?

I don't know where you'd go about getting one from, but an Adjustable Crank can accommodate for your reduced knee flexion.... might be cheaper than a new socket!

Hello.  Thanks for your reply.   :)  I looked into getting an adjustable crank.  (I posted some links under another post about hand cycles.)  I currently ride a very lightweight carbon fiber bike and an adjustable crank is heavy.  I would rather have an SPD-SL (Look pedal) system.  I didn't have any problems with the crank arm length last year when I had a temporary socket modified for cycling which is why I am going to have a separate socket made.  I was just curious about the cost of a second socket.  Thanks for your idea about the adjustable crank.  I would love to be able to afford a rotor crank system but right now I have too many other expenses.  LOL.  I hope to purchase the rotor crank system next summer. 

Ah... life is good (except for the cost of my hobbies - LOL)   ;D

-Lao Tzu

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »
Try this site: http://www.highpath.net/eng/01.html#design, and I tried to do a search over on Amputee Online, but it's really slow today.  There was some stuff on there about bike cranks and such.  Maybe Fi will be around to shed some light.

:)

Thanks for the info.   :)   I posted link(s) to highpath, rotor cranks and excel sports in another post on this forum.  I believe it was in the hand cycle post.   Thanks again for the info.   There is no such thing as too much info!!   :)   ;)  :)

-Lao Tzu

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
Here is the cost of my new sockets that i had made last year. here is what was billed MEDICARE and what medicare paid.

amount billed          amount approved       copay
4812.00                  3011.16                   602.23

the copay is my roughly 20% that medicare does not pay and it has to come out of my pocket.

'pegleg'  I think I'd better try your prosthetist....my price for {1} socket & {1} liner was $2700 ...of course I owed 20%.

;)

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 06:43:02 PM »
Here's a link that contains some of the best amputee biking information I have ever seen all in one spot ----  http://www.heathermills.eu/forum/index.php?s=36e12ec8c1e951d56699aae422e91c92&showtopic=4371

Great tips and info on equipment and the tricks of the trade for biking as an amputee. ;D

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 12:27:35 AM »
Hi Mitchee,

I cycle loads. I use the same socket for cycling as I do for going to the gym, walking (hiking walking) and any other exercise I do. I just got the prosthetist to cut it down in the back enough so that it didn't bother me when I bent my knee. Is it possible for you to do that? In that way you would be able to avoid getting a new socket made. I have a very short stump and initially was worried that I'd lost stability if the socket was cut down very far at the back but that hasn't happened for some reason. Which is good.

One thing I've noticed with all my sports sockets is that my prosthetists have made two sockets for each leg - the first is a kind of inner socket which is made of quite thick plastic and which the prosthetists really round off around the back of the knee. In that way even if I do feel my socket when I bend my knee cycling it doesn't dig into all the soft skin there and hurt. Then the second outer bit is the laminate that sockets are usually made of. It seems to work for me.

One thing though to be aware of is that with my normal sportyish socket on I can't stand up on the pedals of my bike. It's just not possible. If I wanted to be able to do that I would either have to get a special cycling socket made or get some adjustments made to the bike to enable me to stand.

If none of the above works for you and if you do decide to get a socket made then good luck to you. I have had two sockets made and paid for them myself since I started this lark. The first was in the UK and cost me GBP3000 so about USD6000 (yes I want to choke on my tea every time I think of it - complete rip off - especially since I couldn't actually wear that particular socket because it was so badly made). THe second I got made in Hong Kong and paid HKD1500 for - which is about GBP100. And yes the second is completely perfectly comfortable and like a dream to walk on.

So I suppose the conclusion from that is that socket cost completely varies depending on where you are. Your best bet would probably to get quotes from a number of places and then go for what seems like the best deal to you.

Good luck and enjoy the cycling.

Fi

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Hi Fiona.  Thanks for your post.  I know that you are an avid cyclist and I appreciate your insight. 

Unfortunately I can't have my 'everyday' socket cut any lower on the back side.  Last summer I had a separate socket for cycling.  My CPO had taken an old socket and trimmed the back side down and it worked great for cycling.  I can't use that socket this summer because I have lost a lot of volume since then and it doesn't fit. 

I can stand on my pedals even when I am clipped in.  I wonder why you can't do that?   The only problem that I have with my pedals is that right now I can't make the full pedal stroke if I am clipped in because the socket digs into the back of my thigh.  This problem will disappear with a lower cut socket.  In the meantime, I have compensated by placing a platform pedal on the left crank arm so that I can adjust my foot on the pedal to make the full pedal stroke.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.  Happy cycling.   :)

Michelle

-Lao Tzu

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
No worries,

Whatever works for you I suppose. If you are still losing volume on your stump, however, I would probably be careful about paying for a new socket if I were you - you wouldn't want to buy it only for it to become defunct in a few months.

I probably didn't explain myself very well when I said I can't stand up on the pedals. I can stand up on the pedals, I just can't cycle standing up. My stump is too short to get the leverage needed to force the right pedal over and down. Strangely enough apart from in spin classes when I can stand up without a problem.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Fiona

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »
No worries,

Whatever works for you I suppose. If you are still losing volume on your stump, however, I would probably be careful about paying for a new socket if I were you - you wouldn't want to buy it only for it to become defunct in a few months.

I probably didn't explain myself very well when I said I can't stand up on the pedals. I can stand up on the pedals, I just can't cycle standing up. My stump is too short to get the leverage needed to force the right pedal over and down. Strangely enough apart from in spin classes when I can stand up without a problem.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Ahh... now I understand about the pedals.  I never thought about it and I'm sure that it is extremely difficult to stand and pedal with a short residual limb.  I guess that I am lucky that I am able to stand and pedal without too much difficulty.

Thanks for your concern about the potential for more volume loss.  I think that I am finally finished with losing large amounts of volume so it shouldn't be a problem with getting a second socket.   

Did you sign up for a bike riding adventure/tour this year?  or am I thinking of last year?  If so, how was it?   

Michelle  :)

-Lao Tzu