Author Topic: How much does it cost to produce a socket?  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
How much does it cost to produce a socket?
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
Has anyone had a socket made and paid for it out of pocket?  If so, how much did it cost? 

I would like to have a second socket made specifically for bicycling.  It would be trimmed very low in the back so it wouldn't be appropriate for everyday use.  (The socket will be placed on a separate prosthesis.  I already have everything else that I need to complete the second prosthesis.)  To keep the costs reasonable I would have it made out of plastic instead of carbon fiber.  Does anyone have any idea of much it should cost?   Thanks.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

teo

Re: How much does it cost to produce a socket?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
Mitchee, where are you located?  There are prosthetists who will make sockets for the cost of deductable. Basically, thousand bucks.  You talk to a prosthetist privately and he/she comes to your home for the casting.  ^^ Get it?

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »
Mitch, When my husband lost his job and our insurance coverage we had to take a loan just to pay for the leg it was $5,000 dollars and I think that was just for the socket and I kept my pylon and foot..It is very expensive..Best of luck to you..

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »
HOW MUCH!!!!
To make a thermoplastic socket requires 1 piece of polypropylene - which costs about $40!!! i can't believe they would charge you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! That really puts it into perspective how lucky we are in the UK - everything is free!

have you not got an old socket that could be chopped down at the back and then swapped onto the limb???

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »
No that would not work...I have changed shape and shrunk by 1" and it's will be 5 years in July I lost my leg..I also had 17 operations form infancy to the amputation..Which makes a difference with the stump..It is weak and not much muscle tone from being in a cast and brace all my life.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
Hi Snowbear - if you go back to the prosthetist that you used for your last socket they may be willing to make a duplicate socket for not much money. My prosthetist saves all of his castings. If yours does, he may have already been paid for much of what it takes to make a socket. It can't hurt to ask. I would love to have a socket that was comfortable for bike riding. I do not ride a bike because after 5 minutes my socket is rubbing and hurting my butt. Good luck  herb

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
Hi Snowbear - if you go back to the prosthetist that you used for your last socket they may be willing to make a duplicate socket for not much money. My prosthetist saves all of his castings. If yours does, he may have already been paid for much of what it takes to make a socket. It can't hurt to ask. I would love to have a socket that was comfortable for bike riding. I do not ride a bike because after 5 minutes my socket is rubbing and hurting my butt. Good luck herb

Thanks Herb! I have had that done this time..But I changed shape and it did not work. Thanks for the advice

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »
It's the expertise of the socket maker that you're paying for. It's still an art to make a well fitting socket. $5000 is a bit harsh though!

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »
Tell me about it!! LOL

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
just got me to wondering if you people are not getting over charged on your sockets, had both of mine redone last year and both of them. Casting, fitting and finial sockets run just a little over 6000.00 and they both fit like a glove, just got up and put them on and i can feel the snug fit all the way a round my leg just below the knee.

That is what my CPO billed MEDICARE , not sure if she got that much.
you-all have a great day.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
move to the UK and get it free on the NHS! LOL

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
move to the UK and get it free on the NHS! LOL

You have that one right! LOL

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:39:01 PM by Mitchee »

-Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
Mitchee, What kind of bike to you ride? I love biking I have a mountain bike my husband and i ride around the localparks..MY prosthetic foot kept comming off my husband put a pedal extender on and it works well.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:29 PM »
Hi Snowbear,

Road bike... I ride a 2005 Giant TCR Advanced - T Mobile edition.
Mountain bike... I have a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.
Track bike... Fuji Track Pro.

I ride my road bike the most.  I absolutely love it!!  So far this summer I am averaging about 150 miles a week on it.  The frame is carbon fiber, so it is stiff yet responsive.  It is a great bike and I will buy another Giant TCR when I wear this one out. LOL 

Snowbear, what do you ride??  Maybe someday we will be able to ride together.   :)  Biking is great exercise.  Keep up the great work, even though your foot keeps coming off the pedal.   ;)

I love biking and look forward to biking with anyone who wants to go...   

-Lao Tzu