Author Topic: insurance  (Read 9838 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: insurance
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »
Snowbear, i know just where you are coming from on this, i just got my last set of liners paid off today, and it take four of them for me and like you said sometimes they only last 6 to 8 months, so far as sock are concerned i have plenty of them that was given to me, so wont have to buy to many of them. And at 600.00 apiece it dose get a little pricy every time i have to get them and i too am on MEDICARE.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
We had 100% coverage and it was nice. we had blue shield. My husbands company changed and dropped Blue Shield. We have MVP and have 80% it sure beats the other choice if 50%. ;D

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
Hi Snowbear - the liners I used in the past cost $1400. My insurance then paid the whole cost after my deductible. Now they cost a little over $600 and with my insurance I have to pay a deductible and 20% of the balance. It is hard to believe that the liners should cost so much. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »
yes mine cost $600.00 a piece too. The price of our needs is astronomically!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »
I have read this somewhere, maybe steve can help me on this, i beleive i saw the cost of a iceross silcone liner in the UK was around 200.00 a piece.
if that is true then they are making thier money off of us here in the USA.

snowbear

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:52:37 AM »
 :o :o WOW! ???

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
I,too, need a pair of BK prostheses, and have just 80% coverage.  And, yes, $6000 to $8000 (20%) is a big hit.

Here in PA, the insurance industry managed to derail a parity bill.

We argued that amputees represent just 1% oe less, of the total population - so the total cost should not be burdensome to insurance companies.

BUT, that same fact (less than 1%) means that we don't have alot of clout because we don't represent alot of voters - a cruel political fact of life.

We really need a national parity act - because fighting state-by-state is a never-ending battle.  For those of you whose states DO have parity, congratulations.  Unfortunately, here in PA, the special-interest lobbyists - including Insurance Industry - rule the roost.   >:(
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »
'Dick' is that for one or two prostheses?  Makes it bad when your legs change and it's that much money out of your pocket.  Ohio doesn't have the parity act either.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Ann:

That's $15K per leg, or $30K for the pair.

The 20% co-pay is $3K per leg, or $6K for the pair.

That was awhile ago, the prices may have changed since then.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
HERE is what my new ones cost me last year and i am taking the number right off of the bill they sent me,

lthey billed MEDICARE AND MY INSURANCE CO = 36972.86
The insurace company paid 34,283.67
my out of pocket was 2734.19

and this is for two BKA legs,

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
Thanks, Jack:

I guess my figures were out-of-date.  No surprise.

But, it sounds like you got a good deal, if you only had to pay $2700+ for a pair of BK's costing $36K+.

I believe I'd have to pay 20% of the total, whatever that might be.

I hope your new legs are just what you need.  Wear 'em in good health.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »

Jack, I just read something online that almost made me sick...when I get time I will type it out so you can read it also.  Health insurance...Uggg

Hope you are having a nice day :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 04:36:37 PM »
the first go around with the insuance company they disapproved me getting a new set of legs, but between me and the company that is making my legs and my doc all screaming at them they come though and approved haveing them made, come to find out if you scream loud enough you can get what you need, and i am wearing my new sockets right now and man what a feeling just like a old comfortable pair of shoes, had to go though two sets of test s ockets to get it right, but my leg maker said to me if it dont fit right, that we start over and do it agian until i feel comfortable with them. and he used the digital mapping agian this time and he has gotten it down and can really make a fine set of sockets, the first pair we went though four sets of test sockets. and i almost didnot believe him when he told me that my stumps had shrunk 3/4 of an inch and that is why i was getting those nasty blisters all the time and that my legs would not tollerate the vacumm system so i am back to the old reliable pin/lock system. And if needed i can get new sockets made every year if needed, and if we yell loud enough, i can get a complete set made. Am trying out a new liner and it is made by OWW. and it is 9 mm thick and is more comfortable to wear and easier to put on. it has a differant material than the others and rolls on faster. and dosent want to wringle up in the back like the 3 and 6 mm liners and they are the ALPHA MAX.  ALL for now.