Author Topic: going under the knife  (Read 17689 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
going under the knife
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »
just got word today and i am going to have an operation on both of my stumps to remove bone spurs that are raising cain with my walking. they are about 3 inches below my knee on the outside of my stumps, we are gong to try removing them and then if that doesnot work then i will have to sit down with my CPO and design a socket with a hole in the side to relieve where  it rubs on the spur(if by chance it grows back on me). Dont have the exact date yet, they will let me know friday, do know that is in mid JULY. after i make the reunion later this month, did want to be tied down to a wheel chiar then, for i am getting a personallize tour of the USS MIDWAY in SAN DIEGO while i am there and have to do some ladders and knee knockers to get to where he is taking us.
you-all have a great day.

teo

Re: going under the knife
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
i wish for the smooth sailing jack!  :)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
Hi Jack - good luck with your surgery. Hope it goes well and is not too painful. Will it be done as an outpatient? It is strange that sometimes when you want bone to grow it will not and sometimes it grows when it is not wanted. I had around  ten fractures in my leg and some took too long to mend and I had to have 3 different bone grafts to get them to start mending. They took so much bone off my pelvis on both sides for the grafts that now I have trouble keeping my pants up.  Herb

Offline Myffanwy

• RAK 51 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
OMG, for real, Herb??  The pants...?

And, PLJ, I wish you the very best of outcomes.  Being an amputee can truly test our metal at times, eh? 

And, PLJ, what's a "knee knocker"???   ;)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
Myffanwy, the answer to the knee knocker is that if you look at some of the navy ship hatches they are not square and the bottom of the hatch is about 8 to 10 inches off the deck, that is what they call a knee knocker, because if when going throulgh the hatch if you dont pick your knees up high enough it will hit it or you will catch yourr foot and down you go on your knees on the other side. If you have watch any of the movies about our navy and watch a salior kind of jump up and through the hatch or door you will also see them.

Herb, as far as i know it will be  out patient and maybe one night in the hospital for them to make sure everthing went the way it should. hopefully i will only laid up for about a week, not more than two weeks i hope.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
Jack,

I have a similar problem with my below the knee socket, and we solved it with a window cut in the socket. The top of my fibula sticks out on both of my legs. I probably should have been in braces as a kid to have straighten them. Too late now.

The neat part of my socket is that there is a soft plastic liner inside the socket. It gives me support, while relieving the pressure in that area.

Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Dave S
North East Pa
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:27:19 AM »
Good luck on the surgery! I'm sure it'll go without a hitch and you'll be walking about the Midway without a bother.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »
SteveC, the surgery wont be until after i get back from the reunion, they didnt have time to do if before i had to leave for SAN DIEGO. but i dont plan on being down or in my chair more than a week at the most, may wind up having to have new sockets make i dont know yet, but do know i will have to do some duct tape work on one of them to fill in where i ground out to relieve the pressure on one of the spurs,

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:01:20 AM »
UPDATE: they have set the operation date, it will be JULY 16 at 7:30 in the morning and i should be home that night or afternoon, depending on if every thing goes the way it should.

Offline chasamp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:36 AM »
I am curious as to how they diagnosed the bone spurs? I have extreme sharp pains. It is not ciruculation pain but feels like bone pain. THey have done x-rays and said nothing showed up. Even though nothing showed up on the x-rays I know something is going on.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
Chasamp, my bone spurs are sticking out of the side of my leg, the one on my left stump is almost the size of my old angle bone, it is a growth on the bone that build up until it cause problems and mine are rubbing against my socket and are real painfull and at time have plisters and will open and start bleeding on me, have to be carefull that i dont get infections in them, they are going to shave them down so that the side is flat, if you get a bone spur on your stump you will see it as it gets bigger and bigger.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
I am curious as to how they diagnosed the bone spurs? I have extreme sharp pains. It is not ciruculation pain but feels like bone pain. THey have done x-rays and said nothing showed up. Even though nothing showed up on the x-rays I know something is going on.

a bone spur would definitely show up on an x-ray.

Offline chasamp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
Anyone have any ideas what the sharp pains could be from then? I know I need to ask the dr, but don't see him again until the 25th. Just wondering if it could be something like the bone hitting a nerve or something. It is driving me crazy.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »
Chasamp, have a feeling that your having what we call zingers, it feels like an electric shock and also feels like it is in the bone, that is just another form of phantoms, i get them from time to time, and they come and go  when they feel like it  i have found by drinking a lot of water during the day will keep them at bay, and now that the heat is up down here where i live i have had to increase the amount of water intake, for i am sweating it out almost as fast as i drink it. It was over 90 degrees yesterday and is up to 80 all ready this morning and it is only 7:46 AM.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:47:11 AM by pegleg jack »

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »
Good luck Jack.  I have a bone spur also, which has been giving me my recent problems, luckily its on the end of my stump and will come off with the end of it when I have the revision. 

Chasamp, I am sure any spurs would show up on x ray, mine is sticking right out and very visible to the naked eye, so you would probably know if you had them.