Author Topic: Proprio Foot  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Proprio Foot
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
Hi everyone,
I thought you may find this interesting.  We just experienced walking a bk amp on an Ossur Proprio Foot.  www.ossur.com

The person we put it on is a 47 year old male, an amputee of about twenty years from a motorcycle accident.  He's been a client of mine for many years and has had a number of prostheses.  Tom is very active and an excellent walker but like most amputees finds walking on uneven surfaces a challenge.  After some initial set up time Tom was walking very well, up and down inclines, steps and flat surfaces.  Tom then took the prosthesis outside between our building and the one next door.  The ground there is very uneven and scattered with gravel and rocks of different sizes.  He never slowed down a second and walked with ease, no matter what the surface. 

I asked Tom what is was like to experience walking in the Proprio Foot and his words were, "friggin awesome, if I tried this with any other foot I'd be on my rearend by now".  It was a great experience and so nice to see Tom respond so well and so quickly to the new foot.   

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Proprio Foot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
Great news that he found what worked for him. I had a look and it sounds interesting. I would wonder if the weight would be an issue? The 2.7lbs of the Proprio foot vs the 0.89lbs of the vari-flex.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »
It's interesting that you mention weight of the foot.  Tom thought the weight of the foot would bother him also.  Once he had it on and especially when he walked outside on all the uneven ground, he said the foot made it so easy to walk he didn't notice the weight.

I've been making prosthetic devices for 35 years, and I am not impressed by most of the new stuff that comes along in prosthetics.  I was very impressed with the Proprio foot.  To see the look on Tom's face when he walked outside was priceless.  No more strain on the knee when walking on uneven ground, amazing.  Besides, the most common complant people seem to have is prosthetic feet.  To me they are all to stiff and unforgiving of various terrain and walking conditions.  The Proprio make a lot of sense.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

'Michael' that is fantastic...BUT...there is no way to give it a covering, is there.  I hate the fact I'm so vain, but I am.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:17:06 AM »

It wouldn't be easy but possible?

I am in the process of sorting out a new leg and I am not sure if I will cover it or not. I'm crazy about the constant stares (at the gym the other day a fella just sat there and stared at my leg as I worked out). I wonder if there is a way to have it made uncovered but have a covering made for times I want to try and blend in more...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:48:24 AM »

It wouldn't be easy but possible?

I am in the process of sorting out a new leg and I am not sure if I will cover it or not. I'm crazy about the constant stares (at the gym the other day a fella just sat there and stared at my leg as I worked out). I wonder if there is a way to have it made uncovered but have a covering made for times I want to try and blend in more...

"Steve"

It makes me feel like I  am a freak, that's why I insist on a cosmetic covering.

;)
ann

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »
You're not a freak at all! There is nothing wrong about not wanting to deal with the stares from people. Maybe I like the attention, I don't know. I can sometimes feel empowered (for some reason) while not wearing my cosmetic covering, but sometimes i just don't want to deal with the stares. There is nothing like just being like everyone else. (that said, no one is like everyone else as we all have 'something').

You are not a freak. I know that for a fact as I am at all the freak meetings and I have never seen you there... ;D

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:08:55 AM »
Michael,
I would be interested to know if Tom has used the foot for higher level activities than walking. Ossur limits this foot to medium impact and excludes high impact. I'm not sure what that implies but some more user info would be great.

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
I've personnally spoken with two users of the Proprio foot. They both told me that it was a great foot, but not worth the money. I will add that both of these users were testers for Ossur. The foot cost them nothing.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:13 PM »
For uneven ground I still believe the Perfect Stride II is the best foot for the job -- it's might be the most expensive passive foot on the market but it's still about 10k cheaper than the Proprio. Here's a link to a friend of mine who just switched to the Perfect Stride a week ago , running and going up and down a hill.  --   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtziZbO_9YU

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

'Tigertatts' is that the foot you are going to get?  Looks really good to me...I do hate uneven ground.  What is the price of one {if you don't mind me asking}?   and who makes it.  Thanks.

;)
ann

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
 HI Ann,

I already have the Perfect Stride II X3 (newest model) but I currently have a massive infection in my stump and haven't been able to wear my leg for 6 weeks now. The PS2 (for short) is made by Bioquest  -- http://www.bioquestpros.com/index.html  --   in Bakersfield CA, It is the ONLY foot they make so all their time and money goes into making this the best possible foot.  It's a very expensive passive foot and wholesale to your prosthetist it's in the $2500 range but worth every penny (and yes medicare will cover it I know someone on medicare that has it) if you have to deal with uneven ground often. The only issues I've heard of from this foot are that it's a fairly tall foot needing 8.25" to fit and it weighs 1.8lbs. It is slightly heavy but when I'm walking on it I have never noticed the weight, I only notice the weight when I sit down and lift my leg horizontal to the floor, Frosty (the guy in the video I posted) said the same thing and he said with an active Vacuum socket the weight is even less noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:48:08 PM by Tigertatts »

teo

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
There is USC (Univ. of Southern Cal) study that shows Perfect Stride II generates more forward momentum, lowers oxygen consumption, enhances gait symmetry and velocity compared to Proprio Foot.  Fraction of the cost, better functionality.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:34:41 PM by teo »

Offline Frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:50:52 PM »
Hey Teo
Could you find and post a link to that study please...
Thx

Frosty

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »
The proprio is extremely heavy for a prosthetic foot!

and i bet it requires alot of maintenance (as any prosthetic component with a computer in does!)

In my opinion, there are loads good feet out there and i bet you wouldn't notice that much difference between a Proprio and other high end feet (e.g. College Park Trustep, Endolite Esprit, Otto Bock Trias)