Author Topic: ACA Convention  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Kep

• View Profile
Re: ACA Convention
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »

I live within 50 miles of the Atlanta hotel, so I'm glad that the conference is within reach for me.  When they move it elsewhere, I most likely won't be attending. 

Last year, I drove in a couple of days.  This year, I dcided to take the plunge and stay at the hotel instead of dealing with the Atlanta traffic.  I'm looking forward to a good time.

From listening to folks last year, I understand the hotel resturants were quite expensive.  I plan on taking some cheese/peanut butter crackers, diet cokes, maybe even a couple of cans of viennas.  I won't starve for sure.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 04:27:16 AM »
Kep:

When ya' fly in without a car, 1.5 miles is quite a distance to push a wheelchair, especially on the hilly terrain around the hotel.  In one or two directions, it involves crossing a major multi-lane highway.

There is a mall with its food court and a couple of other restaurants, but it's a long walk that involves an elevator, a couple of bridges over the highway, and uphill climb all the way.  If you're using an electric chair or scooter, better have the batteries fully-charged when you start.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
Jason:

Yer right.  Remodelling can be expensive.  But in this day n age, it's stupid to build with narrow doorways.  Even modern homes often have 36" doorways, plenty wide enough for average wheelchairs.

When they build new hotels, why don't they build in the accessible features from the start?  Much cheaper that way.

Last summer, we stayed at a hotel in MA that was just renovated.  They did nothing to improve accessibility - actually made it worse.  A nice tile floor in lobby (great for wheelchairs) was replaced with plushy carpet.  (Need I say more?)  The original tile was quite attractive and should have been left alone.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
Dick, i have learned on thing on this an it is that they do not teach this in school (architectural) or home designing so they dont even think ab0ut when drawing up a set of plans for a remodelling job or a new home, found this out when we bought our new home out in california a few years back, and if i had known about it before they started building i could have had it changeed somewhat, one ex-sample is the 2 inch step at the doors is not needed, but when they teach them at school it is taught that it is need to stop water from entering the house, which is a bunch of bull because the front and back landings are usually higher than the yard anyway.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
PLJ:

That may depend on how long ago an architect was trained.  In this day n age, I suspect they all get a course labeled "ADA 101".

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 08:48:43 AM »
DICK, I sure hope so
you-all have a great day.