Author Topic: ACA Convention  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Kep

• View Profile
ACA Convention
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:46:55 AM »

Anyone coming to Atlanta for the ACA convention this month?

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
Re: ACA Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
I'll be there.  ;)
LBK since April 2004

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
Would like to be there, but have found out on last years that it is out of my price range being on a fixed income like i am.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »
I doubt its in Ireland so I'm not going. What does it all cost?
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
I would like to go but it seems to be overpriced and it is not being held in a very attractive location.  herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:54:01 AM »

I am hoping to go next year...from what I hear it's a fantastic event.  You get to see all the newest items for amputees AND see them demonstrated.  I know several gals & guys that have gone the last two or three years.  A good rowdy time is had by all, plus the serious moments.

'Neal' {naseigfried} is that you???

;)
ann

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
I would consider attending if it wasn't in Atlanta again.  I think it's in Atlanta next year as well. 

I wish they would change the location.  I don't have anything against Atlanta, but I've already been there and I don't care to make Atlanta a vacation destination. 

I would like to attend the ACA convention someday.  I hear that it is a lot of fun, the seminars are informative and the exhibitors are worth seeing.

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
SteveC, last years convention, by the time i priced out hotel rooms and siminars at the convention that i wanted to go to it was well over 3000.00
Which is out of my price range, and this year it about the same  time i am going to be in SAN DIEGO for a big ships reunion whch has over 128 member register to show up and some of them i havent seen since 1963.
you-all have a great day.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
I *almost* signed up this year. But I really need to visit my mom before a fun vacation.

And yes, 3 years in the same city does get a little old, but I can also see from an organizational point of view where it's got some benefits.  But Atlanta in June is about as pleasant as Phoenix in July (which is where mom is currently).

And the expense.... When I went (Nashville) by the time I did hotel, conference and air fare, it was over $1200 for the trip.  That's pretty steep for attending a conference.  There were some outtings, but I can't really say I felt like I got around Nashville with the group.  The conference fee is not that high, but considering they sell space to vendors AND attendees, I'd have liked a little more information for my conference fee.  There were only a few seminars I really wanted to attend and they were very packed and so I didn't get as much from them as I would have liked.

I will go to another one, eventually.  But while I'm still a student, it's just not real easy to squeeze into the budget.  Maybe one year they'll have it in the cold north in the summer or in the warm south one winter.

That's just my opinion though.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »
Maybe I am out of touch, but with the range from 1200 to 3000 for the trip, even at the cheaper end I would'nt go. I live in Ireland and for the 1200 I could go to Spain for a week.
I haven't a clue to what the entry fee is or what the average hotel/motel costs but to spent that kind of money is mad in the head. The way I figure it at least the entry fee should be non existent or at least minimal as we are the folks they want to sell to.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
Well, folks, we DO plan to attend.  The conference fee isn't all that bad, but the cost of hotel and airfare gets a bit pricey.  My wife attends with me, so we have to nearly double the costs.

For me, the conference is worth it, so we go back.  This is 5th year, now.  I go mostly for the conference, not so much for the sightseeing.

I am disappointed it is 3 years in same place, and see they will lose repeat business doing that.  The hotel DID treat us well last year, and I hope they do so again.  One problem, they didn't have many choices of restaurants in or near the hotel.

If I had my way, they would drop the 3rd year at Atlanta and go to a new city.  They've done several years in the South and Southeast.  It's time for the West or Northwest, or the Northeast, maybe.

Of course, what they really need is a hotel with more than 20 h/c accessible rooms.  The hassle to get an accessible hotel room is absurd.  For a group with this many amputees, it HAS to be considered.

But yeah, we'll be there.  Who else is hoing?  We'll you guys who can't make it.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
Dick, I understand your need and all our desire for many handicap rooms at a hotel.  But even a hotel getting the gimp business for 3 years running, the financial cost of modifying that many hotel rooms is just not there.  You can't build a hotel completely accessible.  If a hotel that can run a conference with 700 guests has as many as 20 hotel rooms accessible, that's pretty good.

Why don't they convert all the rooms to ADA compliant?  Follow the money.  Let's say the costs of remodeling 200 rooms to ADA compliant was $1,000/room.  Larger door/doorway, larger bathroom door, grab bars, larger bathroom area, (including moving walls, plumbing).  I'd say $1,000 would be cheap, and this would be a $200,000 project.

Now look at the increased revenue from these 200 rooms.  I don't know about you, but in all the hotels I stay at, they don't charge me extra for the cripple room.  So how do they get their costs back?

So while it'd be great to have everyone who needs one of these rooms at the conference get one, it's NEVER going to happen.  In an ideal world, but this is not an ideal world.  Perhaps one way to get the hotel to modify more rooms was to guarantee them a three year contract for the conference.  And I'm sure the 3 year commitment to Atlanta involves a contract, and I doubt they'd break it for year 3 because there's probably a clause with a cost for breaking that 3rd year.

North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline naseigfried

• View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:31 AM »

I am hoping to go next year...from what I hear it's a fantastic event.  You get to see all the newest items for amputees AND see them demonstrated.  I know several gals & guys that have gone the last two or three years.  A good rowdy time is had by all, plus the serious moments.

'Neal' {naseigfried} is that you???

;)
ann

It's me Ann.
LBK since April 2004

Offline naseigfried

• View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:43 AM »
The cost isn't all that bad. I think PLJ is confusing this with some other conference. There is no additional charge for any of the specialized sessions. You pay a flat $235 for all conference functions which includes many meals. If you're lucky enough to get into the conference hotel, the rooms are $125 per night. How you get there can raise the price accordingly. I'm lucky enough to have an aunt working for a major airline. She is getting me a pass for the taxes, around $75 RT. I then have to pay limo service at $40 RT.

It ends up being a cheap weekend full of education, information and fun with friends whom I've met over the past 4 years of attendance.

Just my $.02 worth.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Kep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

Dick, you mentioned the lack of resturants close by.  Try this link,then search for resturants, pharmacies, whatever....   I got a list of 150 resturants within 1 1/2 miles of the hotel.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-2oKaLcXW