Author Topic: My cat - Bear  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
My cat - Bear
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:47 PM »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:19:49 PM by Mitchee »
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: My cat - Bear
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »
Hi Michelle - I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear fried, Bear. I also am a pet lover. I am agonizing right now over the rapid, recent decline of my 12 year old golden retriever. The vet is doing lots of tests and pills, but not offering much hope. My last one lived for sixteen years and that was far too short a life. They never live long enough. I am blessed to also have a wonderful 2 year old retriever,  3 house cats, a few barn cats and 3 horses. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:48 AM »
Mitchee- I too am sorry that your cat passed away. I have mentioned my dog Millie more than a few times and if anything were to happen to her I would be crushed. Although a dog person at heart I did get two kittens about 6 months ago and they have wormed their way into my heart and I would miss them terribly if anything where to happen to them. So, again, I am sorry.

Herb,
I am sorry to hear your golden retriever is doing poorly. My lab is only almost three years now but I dread the days that you are facing now.
You have quite the menagerie! Fair play. I stand at 1 dog, 2 fairly pampered outdoor cats, 1 jack donkey and 2 grown mare donkeys (one of which won 4th place at a local fair) and 1 mare foal (8 months). I sold a mare foal last week. I was thinking of getting/up-grading to horses. I live in Connemara and so the Connemara Pony is the animal to get. Donkeys are easy, but me thinks a pony would be a totally different kettle of fish!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:12:15 AM »
Hi guys and gals, am sorry to hear that your pets are passing away and are going down, have lost a few my self and you can really get attached to them with out really knowing it is happening to you,

But one must remember that our pets age 7 years to our one and a 12 year old pet is actually 84 years old.  Had on little dog that we had and had him for 18 years before he was so sick that we had to have him put down and that is the hard part, but i didnt want to seem him suffer any more.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
I mentioned connemara ponies above. My neighbor has a 30 year old mare which is fierce old for a connemara pony. I asked a neighbor why she just stood on top of a hill and seemed to watch me. He said if you were as old as that mare you wouldn't be up to too much mischief as well.

Makes sense.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
Mitchee, I am saddened to hear about Bear's passing. WE all become attached to our animals, they are our FUR KIDS giving us unconditional love.. Our house is full with five dogs and one cat. So we understand your feelings.

I have come across a poem you might want to check out. It has given us comfort at the time of our pet losses

www.rainbowbridge.com/poem.htm

Dave S
N E Pennsylvania
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:04:46 AM »
Thank you to everyone who replied and to those who read my post.  Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  I truly appreciate it.  I am doing much better.  I had a hard time with Bear's loss because he had been to the vet less than a month earlier for some dental work and the cancer (a fast growing tumor) of the jaw and neck was not apparent at that time.  I was expecting to be told that Bear had an abscess, not that he had an aggressive form of cancer.  I was stunned and had to make the decision as to what was the best possible course of treatment for Bear.  Unfortunately, there were no options.  I was not going to bring Bear home and watch him suffer with pain and an inability to chew food.  I made the difficult decision to say good bye.  I wanted to be selfish and bring him home but I knew that he would be in pain and that he would not be able to eat.  That wouldn't have been fair to Bear so I said my tearful goodbyes.  I know that sometime in the future, I will be reunited with Bear and all of my other pets in heaven.

Pet's love us unconditionally and we return their love unconditionally.  I think that is why it is soooo hard for us to say good bye and for us to open our hearts to new pets.  As the old saying goes... 'time heals all wounds.'  That is definitely true and I am already remembering all of the good times that Bear and I had.  At some point, I will be ready to open my heart and bring home another special needs cat and/or kitten.  There will never be another Bear (and any comparison wouldn't be fair).  I will create new and happy/loving memories.

To everyone who's pet will be crossing the 'rainbow bridge,'  please remember the joy that they have brought to our lives.  They live in the moment and so should we.  (I am amazed at how quickly an animal can adapt to missing a limb or any disability.  Animals don't complain or feel sorry for themselves.  They adapt and live in the moment.  I think that is a lesson we can all learn something from.)  We have the most important gift... the ability to humanely end their suffering when they let us know that the time has come.  I wish the best for everyone's pets and of course for your own health.

Thank you again for your kind words and thoughts.

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu