Author Topic: Bone Repair Using Patient's Stem Cells Comes Closer  (Read 2026 times)

teo

Bone Repair Using Patient's Stem Cells Comes Closer
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Missing part of your leg? This story should be interesting to most of us.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080526170313.htm

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Bone Repair Using Patient's Stem Cells Comes Closer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »
'Teo'

This is mind boggling....if they know this ~why don't they use the knowledge ???

teo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
Ann, when my body was traumatized, (I was involved in roll over accident that nearly killed me) my body began reacting by growing big chunk of bones in my abdominal area and my lower back.  (The growth had to be surgically removed.)  I forgot the medical terminology for this but apparently, all it takes to grow bone is protein and certian stimulant, in my case, trauma.

Salamander can regrow its limb and we as human also have exact same genetic codes which allow us to regrow lost limb.  Over many many generations, we as mamals simply chose to heal our wounds faster via scar formation than slow regeneration because this increased our chance of survival when we were wounded. 

Some researchers are predicting now that within next 10 to 20 years, we could take a pill and we can start regrowing missing limbs.  Scientists have been playing around with rats and they now have rats that have super immune system with regeneration ability. Chop off rat's ear and it will regrow it.  Chop off its hind leg & it regrows.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article559955.ece

Last friday, as I was leaving the prosthetic clinic, my CP was half jokingly telling me how he hopes such advances in medicine is not developed too quickly because he doesn't like the idea of having to find another career. ^^

Sounds far fatched?  Commercial artificial bladder will be introduced either next year or as soon as FDA approves it.

http://www.popsci.com/category/tags/anthony-atala

http://masshightech.bizjournals.com/masshightech/stories/2003/07/21/story8.html 

Other organs such as liver, heart, and kidney made with your own tissue will follow suit.  If scientists can create complex organs such as heart and liver, they can certainly create limbs. 

Compared to car, changing heart is like changing its motor.  Limb regeneration is more like changing tire.  Which do you think is easier? ^^

Ann, we just have to be patient.  We are almost there.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:20:10 AM by teo »

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »
it's the Medical Ethics committees that are holding this sort of thing back.. there is too much pressure from Religious organizations and Human Rights Groups 2 enable anything 2 happen quickly in this field (unfortunately!)!! 

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:10:35 AM »
Teo, this all sounds and reads great, but as was stated the MEDICAL ETHICS COMMITTEES, RELIGIOUS GROUPS, AMA, AND THE FDA, will make it almost impossibel to market, the FDA will want years of testing done on both animals and humans before they will approve it, and the AMA is almost the same when it comes to indorsing any new  proceddure. I too wish that i could grow my legs back. but i am 65 next month and am getting to old to get my hopes up real hilgh on this, some of the younger amputees may see it, and i am reffering to our guys coming out of IRAG and IRAN. If it does get approval i will be just to dang old to enjoy it,

But dont let this stop you from posting the information and doing research on the subjects, We used to joke about the thing in the BUCK ROGERS SPACE MOVIES, that none of it would ever come about, but we were wrong and a lot of it is in use today.
you-all have a great day.

teo

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
pegleg jack, the unfortunate and sad truth is that we DO have enough technology to rebuild a limb in vitro (in the laboratory) right now.  Who can do it?  Dr. Anthony Atala at Wake Forest University.  But the cost of rebuilding a single limb will be cost prohibitive.

That's why U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is pushing for research which would allow in vivo (in the living body) regeneration, therapies that prompt the body to autonomously regenerate damaged or missing part.

Stay healthy jack.  You may not be too old to benefit from these advances in science.  According to Ray Kurzweil, life expectancies will start rising faster than we age in 15 years. ^^