Author Topic: College Park feet  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
College Park feet
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
I was at the limbfitter today (its quite a coincidence that you replied today robogirl!). He is steering me towards College Park feet.
Namely the Trustep:

the Venture

Anyone try any of these? (I may have asked this before, sorry if I am repeating myself...)

What about the Onyx?

I namely need the foot for everyday and fairly hard manual labour, and some uneven ground.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: College Park feet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »
SteveC, i am wearing two of the VENTURES right now and have been for almost 4 years and have had no problems with them other than wearing out the red bumper that you can see in the picture, they normally only last around a year and then need to be replaced, Other than that i see no need to change, cause they are doing the job for me. One uneven ground i do have to watch were i am walking but after a couple of times you will get used to them. be carefully of small step or uneven pavement,
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:44:39 PM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
how is the weight? Is it heavy? I tried to download the specs from the site but my broadband is down and it just wasn't happening. I have a multiflex now.

Part of the reason I liked the Trustep is that it has two independent 'toes' that will make uneven ground a bit easier. Where I live most of the ground is uneven...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

teo

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »
Steve C, I had tried Venture foot and it's a good foot.  You can definately feel the difference when you are on uneven surfaces.  Truestep is an older model and supposedly, just about all serious amputee golfers (who have to walk on uneven surfaces a lot) wear Venture over Truestep because it's an improvement over older model.

FYI, Venture costs about $1,100 (U.S. dollar) if you buy directly from College Park.  I don't know whether you are covered by insurance or not, so I am just letting you know. ^^
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:54:13 PM by teo »

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »
Steve, I was just fitted for the Venture foot on both sides, and so far, very good! It took some adjustment for me balance wise as they are a more dynamic foot than what I was wearing, but once used to them they're good. I haven't worn mine yet golfing as I'm still more comfortable on the golf course with my older feet. There's lots of testimonials and models of the foot in action on the College Park website. Good Luck. David in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:23:09 AM »
Thanks for that PLJ, Teo and David-
I didn't know that the Trustep was older than Venture. The way the fella was talking the Trustep was better, maybe he has a box of them in the back ;). So the Venture is better on uneven ground? I'll check out those testimonials.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:06:20 AM »
any feedback on ther Ossur Variflex?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »
Cant say that i have, but have an appointment with my CPO today will ask her about them see specializes in ossur products and uses them allot, will get back to you tomorrow on this and let you know what she says,

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
thanks Jack.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
SteveC, here is what i got from my CPO yesterday, she said if you are highly active which i believe you are to stay away from the veriflex foot, go eith the venture like i have. she said that she has many of her patients wear them and golf and really likes them and here i s another one that she recommend for you to try out for a fairly active person try the TALUX, it is made by OSSUR also, from what i have seen that will be my next set of feet, main reason is the side movement if you step on a rock or uneven sidewalk.

Hope this has help you out,

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
Thanks a million PLJ.
So the venture looks good. Out of curiosity how is the side to side motion. As in, if you step on a stone with only the right side of the foot. Does it tilt? That is one thing I liked about the Trustep.
And, you wear the Venture, how is the weight? Light or heavy?

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
I think that the Trustep is better if you want alot of movement (i.e. stepping on uneven terrain) as it mimics the anatomical foot exteremely well; however, it has a lot of rubbers in it to enable the wide range of movement and they need replacing every few months (depending on your impact and activity level)

The Venture has a fair bit of inversion/eversion (but not as much as the Trustep); as there are fewer rubbers in the foot, it doesn't require as much maintenance as the Trustep - and the stride adjustment is a nice touch too!

The New Endolite Esprit is a very nice foot in my opinion, very similar to the above mentioned college park feet (but a bit cheaper i think! - and has fewer moving parts so fewer visits 2 the prosthetist!)

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »
The Endolite Esprit does not have any kind of ankle and a very short roll over, the Esprit conforms to uneven ground by flexing it's carbon fiber "toes", I would not say that It's all that similar to the College Park feet  -- http://www.endolite.com/newproducts/esprit/esprit.html ---  The Mica Genesis feet are very similar to the same design as the College Park feet --- http://www.micacorp.com/products/genesis2/

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
Right now, I'm walking on a pair of Talux feet by Ossur.  At the time, I asked for TruStep, and my CP - himself a BK amp - was using a Talux and recommended it.

He ordered in a pair of each - TruStep and Talux.  I tried both, and chose the Talux.  Both had good fore-and-aft motion and side-to-side tilt.  I preferred the step-off feel of the Talux, but that's probably a matter of personal choice.

Both companies, College Park and Ossur allowed a 30-day trial, so we could try both and send back the unwanted ones.  If you're interested in products from these companies, you might want to try a couple of models.

Check websites for info on how these feet are constructed - quite different.  The Talux uses a bonding material that is molded, and has a fixed range of bearing weights.  No "moving parts".  The TruStep has the bumpers that can be changed out if the user's weight changes noticably.  But the bumpers tend to wear out or pop out, and may need more servicing than the Talux.

Hope this helps you.  If possible have your CP get a couple of feet to choose from.  Descriptions help, but nothing equals trying the actrual hardware.

Good luck.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 02:14:07 AM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:35:44 PM by Mitchee »
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu